General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Spare Key Nightmare... can anyone advise

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member

Hello Fit Freaks,

First off, I am new and hope this question has not be asked before. I purchased a used 2007 Fit Sport in January 2010. It only had one key. I checked on the price of a spare and decided to be careful and not loose this one and wait till the money was "in hand". Today, I went to the Honda dealer and they lazer cut the blank and tried to program. NO LUCK (with 4 different techs)!

They are telling me that there is a problem somewhere and I will need to pay for troubleshooting thru schematics. They claim they can not isolate and verify by modules (i.e. imobilizer, etc). When I asked about price they said $100 per hour with no idea on how many hours would be involved. Shock would be a mild version of my mental state.

I admit that I do not not know the circitry that enables key coding. However, it is hard to believe that it is rocket science and the diagnostics are so poor that they can not resolve to a module or specific area(Perhaps, I am wrong).

Does anyone have any suggestions or feedback from a similar experience. I would really like to have a spare key and not have to sell a kidney to get it. Thanks and I do appreciate any feedback!

JD

Old 04-24-2010, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
I don't know but that sounds like bullocks to me. In theory they shouldn't need the car at all and they could get whatever information they needed on the new key from the old key. I'm probably wrong, but that sounds messed up. Good luck!

Old 04-24-2010, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks secondspassed... With technology where it is today, you would think this was the case... it could be typical corparate confusion or lack or knowledge at the specific dealership (Holler Honda Winter Park, FL). However, they are certified by Honda. I honestly have no idea yet!

Thanks again,
JD

Old 04-24-2010, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jdotson2009
Thanks secondspassed... With technology where it is today, you would think this was the case... it could be typical corparate confusion or lack or knowledge at the specific dealership (Holler Honda Winter Park, FL). However, they are certified by Honda. I honestly have no idea yet!

Thanks again,
JD
sounds like BS to me unless something is truely wrong but im guessing they didnt know what they were trying to do, side note good amount of the techs there arent fully honda cert. so do believe to much in to that. they should have got all the necessary info on the car when they ran the vin for the key.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:54 PM
They r stupid if ur other key works why would there be a prob they just don't know what they are Doing hit up another dealer

Old 04-24-2010, 09:30 PM
5 Year Member
Any dealers should be able to cut your key base on your VIN info.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
That doesn't sound right at all, sounds to me like they are trying to scam you out of some money. If you have one working key, and your information on a database, they should be able to make your spare key in little effort.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:04 AM
5 Year Member
STOP!!! I WORK(ED) at a dealer and know first hand that you need the car and ALL keys at time of programing (that means if you have a spare key a spouce has or even if you have one hidden for aftermarket auto start alarm) the tech needs all of them because when they hook up the DTS computer they will reprogram all keys to the same code (up to 5 keys)
SORRY to here your problem, and can't express that enough, first keys are expensive (but cheaper than a stolen car) and i commend you on getting one made before you lose the only one you have, and if you hadn't, a tow bill would have been in the mix too. first did you pay for the key they cut for you? if so did they still charge you a program fee even thought you "technically" didn't get it programmed? if i were you i'd go to another dealer, and start all over again (mainly to see if they can duplicate the issue) if you left the first one with nothing and paying nothing, HOWEVER if you paid for anything i would march right back over there on monday and ask to speak to the GM (general manager) of the dealership and see what he is willing to do to keep your business, at the dealership i worked at for 13 years WE did whatever it took to keep customers for a lifetime.
good luck

Last edited by vtecfit1; 04-25-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vtecfit1
STOP!!! I WORK(ED) at a dealer and know first hand that you need the car and ALL keys at time of programing (that means if you have a spare key a spouce has or even if you have one hidden for aftermarket auto start alarm) the tech needs all of them because when they hook up the DTS computer they will reprogram all keys to the same code (up to 5 keys)
SORRY to here your problem, and can't express that enough, first keys are expensive (but cheaper than a stolen car) and i commend you on getting one made before you lose the only one you have, and if you hadn't, a tow bill would have been in the mix too. first did you pay for the key they cut for you? if so did they still charge you a program fee even thought you "technically" didn't get it programmed? if i were you i'd go to another dealer, and start all over again (mainly to see if they can duplicate the issue) if you left the first one with nothing and paying nothing, HOWEVER if you paid for anything i would march right back over there on monday and ask to speak to the GM (general manager) of the dealership and see what he is willing to do to keep your business, at the dealership i worked at for 13 years WE did whatever it took to keep customers for a lifetime.
good luck
If you need ALL keys to program a spare, how do you replace a LOST key???

Old 04-25-2010, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
vetecfit1 - Thanks for your detailed feedback. So in my case sounds like there is no going back to the orginal code my one working key uses. I have paid for the laser cut key and $18.00 for (parts, shop supplys and service history admin fee) accrued during the programming attempt efforts. BTW - I took the fit to the honda express location of the dealer. As you suggested, I will go to the dealer main location (few blocks away)and discuss the issue with the GM there. They may well be willing to work with me on at least setting a reasonable max charge. If not, I will try a different dealer.

Based on your experience, do you know the most probable area(s) which could effect only (far as I know) the ability to reprogram keys? Thanks!

Old 04-25-2010, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
If you need ALL keys to program a spare, how do you replace a LOST key???
The lost key just won't work anymore.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:59 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Actually, you dont need all keys, You can actually program 1 extra key with the original program. Ive done it before

Old 04-27-2010, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member

Hello JDMchris.com,
Thanks for the feeback. Can you explain how you manged the "reverse programming" of one extra key. If the dealer can not figure out the new programming problem, this could be a life saver.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:12 PM
5 Year Member
Hello vtecfit1 and all,

Well, the end of the story is as follows... I took vtec's advise and talked with the GM at the dealership (previous work done at their Express). He was quite amiable and got me setup with the service manager and one of their master techs to work on the issue a few days later. The tech had the key programmed quickly with no issues. They think the programming tool at the Express was defective. I realize this is anti-climaxical. However, the real tidbit is that following the proper channels (with a receptive dealer) in a civilized professional way paid off for me. Thanks to all who offered input and recommendations. Stay FIT!