General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

How do I shut off the B-12 warning

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 11:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Koi
Not sure what exactly you're defending here. OP could easily have SEARCHED for info on how to turn MM off. There's like 2-3 threads on how to do it. He could have checked the manual for the car which tells you how to get rid of the notification in like 2 sentences on a single page that is indexed in the table of contents. I'm all for being respectful to members on this board but some people deserve to be berated if they're rude or lazy (or both).
What I am defending is the OP's use of a forum as it was intended.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Well this thread really got off to a good start.
What a warm welcome, draw swords and all come out swinging and bash a new guys rep.

nycny seems like you came in through the wrong door, sorry for that.
The owners manual should tell you how to reset the MM. Question is what's the mileage and how soon before you can swing the oil change?

K_C_

edit: I really have to say this is a poor indication of where this forum might be heading. If a mod is watching [yea right] step up and do the right thing and restore nynyc's rep, not that he might care, because I'm sure he's been chased off by the pitbulls. Real sweet!!
I'll repeat myself!

This thread has brought out the true colors of a few. It is also a prime example of cyber bullying. Sit back and read through it and take heart. It's all there in glorious black and white.

NO ONE deserves to be berated period.

Shameful behavior by all.

A simple rule that I was taught as a child is, "If you don't have anything polite to say - don't say anything at all."

Go ahead wiseguys take a shot.

K_C_

Old 02-12-2011, 12:01 AM
Originally Posted by hogwylde
What I am defending is the OP's use of a forum as it was intended.
Pointing out that the info sought is in the owner's manual does provide the information though. It's not a brush off. Had the guy replied that he didn't have the owner's manual or some such reason, then yeah a more detailed response is warranted.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:14 PM
My owner's manual is in the frozen tundra known as my glove compartment, which is one reason I keep a pdf copy on my computer.

I'm not possessive of great people skills, but there are various ways of stating the same information, some nicer than others.

"Read the manual" might be one option. "Hi, this sort of thing is in the zillion page owner's manual and it's usually quicker to find it there rather than waiting for someone to respond on this forum" might be another.

Another option would be to ignore the posting if you don't appreciate the question. And while I haven't found any errors in the manual for my 2010 Fit, I have found that a lot of owner's manuals really don't explain things well and often the drawings of things in the engine compartment are hard to place.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member
The thing is the OP said he doesn't care about maintenance and then He said how to turn off MM. If you dont care about maintenance then why care about the MM . Put a piece of tape over it.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:32 PM
Look, I know that I am new around these parts myself, but I have posted on Internet forums similar to this before, and I have to agree with Krimson on this one.

Even though this is "just" an Internet forum, a certain amount of etiquette - and most importantly respect - should exist in all forms of communication. That includes all of us here on this forum.

Some people don't agree with/like Honda's Maintenance Minder system. I'm still baffled that I've driven over 1,000 miles in the last two weeks since I got my Fit and my Oil Life still reads 90%...I'm used to routinely changing my oil every 7500 miles on my previous cars, but I know that the MM is there for a reason and I trust Honda's engineers with that. HOWEVER, if nycny doesn't want to use the MM, that's his prerogative. We don't need to belittle the guy for it.

He trusted the members of the FitFreak community to provide him with some advice, and he got jumped on for it. There was nothing remotely "trollish" at all with his OP. As Brian pointed out above, a simple, "refer to page X in your owner's manual," or, "follow X procedure" would have sufficed.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:55 PM
Well, think of your 90% oil life indication this way: it's not reading 90%, it's indicating somewhere between 80% and 90%- so you're probably somewhere around the typical 7-8000 mile oil change interval. I think mine was between 800 and 900 miles when it went from 100% to 90%; now I have 2300 (I think) and it's at 80%.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
There is not one person on this site unless the car is stolen that would not preform maintenance on their car. So KC is right, when we are talking about a reasonable person. The OP decided to be unreasonable and every one is trying to make sense of it.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:46 PM
Respect is to be earned. This is what happens when people are brought up with crap like participation prizes, even though you came in stone dead last.

Failure and a few jabs from your peers used to be used seen as motivation. Now we are just awful, terrible people for hoping someone would try and use a few brain cells on something this simple.

This is the sort of crap you get when you coddle people.

When you have billions upon billions of bytes of data at your fingertips and you instead took the time to come here, sign up, log in and post a bunch of provocative and inflammatory comments as well as venom filled comically misspelled emails... I have no sympathy for this guy.

I do not want to see this place devolve into DSMTuners or DSMTalk where this sort of lazy mindless idiocy is practically encouraged now. This sort of reaction is what he earned.

So much of this could be avoided if instead of wasting our time and his with this thread, that the OP had taken the 10 seconds required to use the search feature on this forum, the other Fit Forums, or google.

Or you know that manual that comes with the car. But I forget that now reading is a chore.

I feel like Idiocracy is a generation away at this point. Mike Judge must be some sort of Prophet.

Pvt. Joe Bowers: [addressing Congress] ... And there was a time in this country, a long time ago, when reading wasn't just for fags and neither was writing. People wrote books and movies, movies that had stories so you cared whose ass it was and why it was farting, and I believe that time can come again!

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 02-12-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member
Lol amen !

Old 02-12-2011, 05:16 PM
“Men are respectable only as they respect”
Emerson

Old 02-12-2011, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nycnyusa2003
I don't care to perform the maintainence required (yes, when it stops working I'll deal with it). Thanks.
Everyone is making valid points - some more then others - but I think most people aren't recognizing where I myself thinkwas the problem to begin with.
It has nothing to do with whether he, or anyone else, likes or dislikes the MM system Honda uses. It's the fact he said "when it stops working I'll deal with it".

If you want to talk about respecting others, or forum etiquette and rules, well it's my opinion, and only an opinion, that the OP broke whatever rules are established in this setting before anyone else. Why? This forum is dedicated to a community of like-minded individuals who love their Honda Fits. (We may or may not get agree with everything but we love the car for any number of reasons and share it daily) When someone steps into such a community and makes a statement that strongly suggests they could really care less about a vehicle on such a fundamental level i.e. maintenance - let alone a Honda Fit - they've essentially disrespected the enthusiasts' world all together.
I took it one step further with the assumption (and no one needs to tell me what assuming does because I was full aware of the risk) OP was essentially trolling with such a statement. No only was he presenting ignorance through his first post but also inciting negative responses purposefully. That, by definition, is trolling on an internet forum. And the fact that we're now 3 pages into this thread suggests 2 things - the OP was definitely a troll because he's stopped replying and the post was successful in inciting all sorts of negative banter that has just created division among forum members instead of some degree of unity.
And that is EXACTLY how other forums have slowly deteriorated like DiamondStarMonsters stated and how I've seen some other forums as well. So let's not give people like this that sort of satisfaction and lets keep FitFreak what is has been since I signed up back in '08, and what it established itself to be from the get-go.
I motion we lock the thread or remove it - and we all learn from it. If the OP was actually looking to become an active member they'll be back and just like each of us had to get through a little negativity or hazing when we first started he'll get over it. If he can't take it in an inpersonal electronic cyberspace realm well he's got some other issues anyway, no need to get into that...

Old 02-12-2011, 07:56 PM
I support your premise but not locking the thread. It will see out it's own life...

Back in June a guy came on and started off in a way that I felt was akin to how the OP came on here. I jumped his case and that thread turned out to be a valuable thread. I went the distance to try and make amends with the OP. Unfortunately, after a PM to me, he has never returned.

Here's the thread and you'll see how resurfaced the thread and edited my support to the OP a month after the thread had lost interest.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...e-starter.html

All I'm saying is that the established members should not loose sight of the fact that many a new comer is here for good reason and we all bear the responsibility of welcoming respect to all comers.

We have no idea where these guys are coming from and if this is to be a community as you describe we share that common quality - not only to the newbies but to each other as well.

Hey - Happy Valentines Day to y'all..............

Old 02-13-2011, 02:25 AM
If we are going to bring up Ralph Waldo Emerson in discussing this kid or chiding those of us he harrassed via email and private message, I would cite Emerson's late 1830's essay "Self-Reliance" and suggest he would be appalled by the OP.

For the record I had said my piece which was not even the most vitriolic initially and was ready to be done and move on till I found his love letter in my inbox between a couple folks who were actually looking for help on technical items.. which I thoroughly enjoy doing.

While I would wager Emerson wouldn't be too keen on many of the responses garnered including my own, I don't think that he would object outright to suggestions of "read the manual" no matter how pointed or rude.

Though the ensuing discourse would certainly not be to his preference.

I do have an odd habit of reading from the old masters when time permits, and everyone from Socrates and Plato down to now would agree that encouraging people to be intellectually lazy is a bad idea. The Allegory of the Cave is a persistent favorite, ever since I first came across it as a High School Junior.

Sometimes examples need to be made.

There are several people on this forum, including those who have joined recently where we had disagreements that started ugly and found a positive conclusion. This doesn't look likely here and he has already made a reputation so that will be tough to fix.

I wonder what Emerson would've thought of youtube comments....

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 02-13-2011 at 02:56 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:39 PM
Koi
5 Year Member
This thread is getting pretty deep for someone who was cluttering up the forum with an oft repeated query