General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Help. Need some input from Fit owners

Old 06-21-2006, 11:42 PM
Help. Need some input from Fit owners

Hi. I am interested about purchasing a Fit. However , they are hard to come buy(SF Area). So I haven't been able to check one out in person and test drive. I have a few questions, hopefully you can answer for me. I am interested in the Sports Automatic.

1. Has anyone been able to sleep in the car yet? Not in refresh mode but in long mode. Will the bed be flat from trunk to front or are there stuff sticking out here and there.. If so can they be remedied by just placing a mat over them. I might need to camp in this car occasionally.

2. I love the ease of getting in and out of the xB. Really comfortable. Also I love the amound of room inside also. How does the Fit compare? I hear people comparing fit to a xA and the xa was a little too cramped for my taste.

3. How much road noise is there when driving on a highway at 70 miles per hour? What is the RPM at.

4. How is the ride quality. I read that it is a bit firm. Reason I ask is that I may need to travel 200-300 miles occasionally.

Thanks a bunch. Hopefully I can post some pics of a Fit soon

Old 06-21-2006, 11:56 PM
Originally Posted by bronze55
Hi. I am interested about purchasing a Fit. However , they are hard to come buy(SF Area). So I haven't been able to check one out in person and test drive. I have a few questions, hopefully you can answer for me. I am interested in the Sports Automatic.

1. Has anyone been able to sleep in the car yet? Not in refresh mode but in long mode. Will the bed be flat from trunk to front or are there stuff sticking out here and there.. If so can they be remedied by just placing a mat over them. I might need to camp in this car occasionally.

2. I love the ease of getting in and out of the xB. Really comfortable. Also I love the amound of room inside also. How does the Fit compare? I hear people comparing fit to a xA and the xa was a little too cramped for my taste.

3. How much road noise is there when driving on a highway at 70 miles per hour? What is the RPM at.

4. How is the ride quality. I read that it is a bit firm. Reason I ask is that I may need to travel 200-300 miles occasionally.

Thanks a bunch. Hopefully I can post some pics of a Fit soon
1. Haven't tried.

2. I'm 6'3" about 280. I have no problem "fitting" haha, in this car.

3. Not bad at all, unless you are going up steep hills. It can be kind of loud, but not overbearing.

4. I travel almost 120 a day, not uncomfortable at all.

Old 06-22-2006, 12:18 AM
To be able to sleep in it, length in Long Mode wouldn't be a problem, but it has the front seatbacks 3 to 4" above the rear area, so you would need something (cushions, foam, etc) to even that out. Good luck!

Old 06-22-2006, 12:29 AM
June 2007 1st Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
the car is find and i would say ride better than the xb...RPM when going 70 for mine is if i can remember is like 32-3300 RPM...i never do seventy

Old 06-22-2006, 05:43 AM
5 Year Member
Car and Driver 70 mph cruise = 73db. Was the loudest in the May/06 comparison test. Average db at idle and below average at full throtle.

Ride quality and driver comfort: Fit tops in that test. You'll feel the bumps but it handles rough pavement well. It rides very, very well for an economy car and the handling is amazing. Ride quality, however, is NOT 'plush'.

Cu. Ft. cargo capacity seats up/ seats folded down:
Fit 21.3/41.9
Xb 21.2/43.4
Very similar.

Old 06-22-2006, 12:48 PM
car handles great, the noise from the injectors is a little loud , but can deal with it. I do think the front seats could be alittle bigger or have some more lumbar put in them, my leg gets cramped from shifting alot, from lack of support in bottom of the seat.
Love the car , great on fuel and lots of fun to drive. I drive alot of back windy roads in PA, going to do alittle more suspension work and it wil be perfect.

Old 06-22-2006, 01:18 PM
June 2007 3rd Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
Passenger loved it when he got to ride in refresh mode while I was driving. Also transported parts for a full size wooden bed frame to Value Village. It was surprising to see how handy the length and heighth of this hatch is to carry large cargo for such a small car. A lot of room in rear seats, even when front seats are pushed all the way back.

Old 06-22-2006, 02:19 PM
Master FitFreaker
FIT FTW of course it's obvious

Old 06-22-2006, 07:49 PM
a short person may even be able to sleep diagonally in utility mode

Old 06-22-2006, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by staticfit
car handles great, the noise from the injectors is a little loud , but can deal with it. I do think the front seats could be alittle bigger or have some more lumbar put in them, my leg gets cramped from shifting alot, from lack of support in bottom of the seat.
Love the car , great on fuel and lots of fun to drive. I drive alot of back windy roads in PA, going to do alittle more suspension work and it wil be perfect.

I don't think you're hearing the injectors. You're probably hearing the valvetrain. They do probably tick a bit. Heck my three year old Tiburon has a bit of valve ticking at idle. It might get quieter.

Old 06-25-2006, 01:44 AM
To sleep in it, you might have to get a pad or pillows or something to make it totally flat (the seats "hump" a little in the middle of them). But it could certainly be done. I love my Fit, it's nice and smooth and VERY comfortable with plenty of room. I never feel cramped (and I'm 6'3''). I actually feel more cramped in my girlfriend's new Civic. At 70 my Fit revs at about 3300 RPM. Engine noise, for my taste, is a teeny bit loud but is not annoying or too much in any way. I love it! You will too. Plus, the utility for its size and fuel economy is unmatched.

Old 06-28-2006, 10:50 PM
sam
Super Moderator
Thumbs up Free opinion that might be over priced

1) Will the bed be flat from trunk to front
This could work out really well but would take some doing.

Front to back has a 3 inch and a 4 and a half inch transition (in addition to the Back Seat issues which seem to disapear in contrast). Could work with a 46inch long cushion that folds in half for storage. (see Front Seat and add that cushion too ideally).

Back Seat Down Only:
Tried laying down (diagonally) with the front seat all the way forward. Definitely a few bumps and an inch that lacks support. Not sure if a good foam mat would work but an air mattress would probably work. For me, I'd also need a hefty pillow to fill the big gap over the backseat's headrest.

Front Seat Down Only:
The front seat folded back flat should work for a quick nap but seemed unacceptable to me without a specially designed cushion. That would be , but I would have to still bend ~90 degrees at my knees or fold at the waist.

2) [xA .. xB]
Don't know x stuff but...

The Fit is a little van and so you get to sit up straight and still have head room. For me the rear mirror is "more out of the way" so it's less likely to block my view of someone on the right at a stop sign. (would love to move it up all the way and a touch closer)

Originally Posted by timbuk3
[...]I never feel cramped (and I'm 6'3''). I actually feel more cramped in my girlfriend's new Civic. [...]
I definitely had more room in the Fit than the Civic. Also more than in the 03 Accord with sunroof but maybe it's just my torso/leg ratio. In any case the Fit fit

3.[Road noise and RPM at 70].
Drove 70-80mph with no issues on flat road. Took it up to 100mph for a short time on the Interstate and, as usual, felt a bit uncomfortable. Otherwise, somebody else has a better answer but I didn't see 70 as a problem.

4. How is the ride quality. I read that it is a bit firm[...]
Definitely a firm ride. My wife does not like the idea of going long distances in the Fit but I do. I'm more uncomfortable in her Accord with the sun roof (except for the leather seats and temp control).

Hope something there helps.

Old 06-29-2006, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
70 mph is fine. You can carry on a conversation at normal speaking levels.

I would call the ride more "controlled". This ain't no Viper.

Old 07-02-2006, 10:53 PM
sam
Super Moderator
Thumbs up RPM at 70mph

3. How much road noise is there when driving on a highway at 70 miles per hour?

I'm pretty noise tolorant but it didn't bother me at any of the rpms listed, certainly varied.

What is the RPM at [70mph].
Going down the level highway with cruise at 70mph
5th gear at ~2600rpm
4th gear at ~3550rpm
3rd gear at ~5000rpm (less sure of my writing)

Last edited by sam; 07-04-2006 at 12:30 AM.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:37 AM
5 Year Member
Wow those are higher RPMs than F1 cars. I think you meant one less zero in there.

Originally Posted by sam
Going down the level highway with cruise at 70mph
5th gear at ~26,000rpm
4th gear at ~35,500rpm
3rd gear at ~50,000rpm (less sure of my writing)

Old 07-04-2006, 12:29 AM
sam
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by 07Fit00S2K
Wow those are higher RPMs than F1 cars. I think you meant one less zero in there.
Will fix. thanks.