General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

*** UltraGauge User Discussion Thread ***

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 08:51 PM
5 Year Member
I've no experience in clearing codes on the Fit. I would be hesitant to do it. My 96 Sedan Deville allowed pulling codes, and clearing them, off the digital display w/ a combination of climate control buttons.

Being able to easily access codes is a must in my mind. Loosing that when I bought my FIT prompted me to look for a code reader. Many are available but also high price. Then I stumbled on the Ultra Gauge being mentioned on the forum. It also answered the need for a coolant temp gauge, so bingo.

I'll be interested in those who have cleared codes on the Fit as well. I'm sure a high end diagnostic reader will do it.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:25 AM
5 Year Member
While I have yet to clear a code, I set up an alarm for pending codes and it alerted me consistently of pending trouble code, but did not give me any info on what that code would be (though I knew it was probably the p0171 code i've been chasing).

Krimson- I will look into it tomorrow....Last time I rwas removing parts and was having a hard time taking the airbox off, I couldnt figure out if there was a clamp as the only thing I saw had a stripped screw and I could not loosen it. I tugged a bit but called it off as I was worried about damaging it. Can anyone who has removed it successfully offer advice?

What I did do today was use the maf cleaner on the relatively new maf sensor honda threw in a while ago when my first one failed. While I was hesitant to use cleaner on a new part, it seems to be running smoother and I have not heard any pending trouble code alerts on the UG.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
Here are some numbers I noted that seemed a bit off based on my limited knowledge of fuel trims:

intake air 123 (is this normal for stop and go in the city) engine temp topped at around 210 in NYC

Short term fuel trim 22.44
Long term trim 22.66

these two numbers are really close My concern is that since long term reflects lower engine speeds and load (idle) , and short term reflects upper range, having them match would indicate too much fuel is being spent trying to keep it from being lean.

looks like I'm going to have to pull out that airbox after all

Old 11-20-2011, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
The temps you see are acceptable.

The trim numbers are related to the lean condition your experiencing. Here's a video that try's to explain what you're seeing: Understanding Fuel Trim - YouTube

Good to hear your cleaning of the MAF seems to have been effective. If you pull codes the UG shows none present because the code you're after is in the ECU history. I don't think the UG will pull a history code, but your assumption is most likely correct.

Check the airbox connection first. That's the most logical place for a vacuum leak in my opinion, however, there might be another place.

It could also be an O2 sensor, but that should throw it's own code [perhaps it's the pending code?]

Those trims are high, meaning the ECU is adding fuel to make up for the lean condition being reported.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:03 AM
5 Year Member
Ok so yesterday I noticed my Long term trim was getting close to 25 and sure enough as soon as it went over I got the CEL again, UG confirmed p0171 so I decided to pull the airbox out and make sure everything was tight and without leaks.

Took a while since the screw on the friction piece was stripped, but eventually I got it out.
While the box was pretty loose and easy to pull off even with a stripped screw, none of the hoses showed any cracks.

I put it all back, replacing the black ring and screw with an old piece from a junker in the back until I get a more suitable replacement. Put the battery back in and put the top of the air box back in.

now I am getting p0102 and p0113 codes, both which point to IAT and MAF....!!!!

I carefully put the top of the airbox on my front seat to make sure it would not get bumped as I pulled everything out.

Maybe its from when I put the battery back in its tray....The UG came on and was scanning . I wanted to shut it off so I out the keys in and brought it to lock then shut it off. Perhaps it was long enough to throw a code since the maf wasnt in yet....I noticed when I did that the UG initialized again and the IAT was -40......airbox top wasnt even in yet and car was not on so I noted it but paid it no mind.

Anyway I will disconnect the ground and see if the codes come back. Regardless I will pay close attention to the UG to see if my original issue with my p0171 comes back. If I am lucky and only the p0171 comes back any idea on where else to look?

I was hoping to resolve this las night since my FE has dropped to 26mpg on both the car and the UG...

Old 11-22-2011, 10:04 AM
5 Year Member
If you've sealed the air box connection tight there's a good chance it will clear. Are you running the N&K filter? If so, I would pull it and go back to stock until you straighten it out. I found this:
  • The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. Note: The use of "oiled" air filters may cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled. There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry.
  • There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor

Possible solutions include:
  • In the vast majority of cases, simply cleaning the MAF sensor does the trick. Consult your service manual for it's location if you need help. I find it's best to take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner or brake cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling
  • Inspect all vacuum and PCV hoses, replace if necessary
  • Check for a dirty fuel filter and proper fuel pressure

Old 11-22-2011, 12:12 PM
5 Year Member
ug is great, back to square one tho...

So those two codes cleared since it was my fault for putting ignition oin lock without the entire airbox in.

Same error code p0171...egr is showing a purge rate of around30 percent, mpg avg 26.2. Lg term trim goes from 0-25 in about an hour of city driving.

How else can I searc for a leakl? Do you guys think it might be a sensor or injector?

This is pissing me off, I love my fit and put a lot into it, but may have to walk away if my mom's rouge continues to get better mileage..plus I have to think its stressing my engine and cat if I'm tearing through this much gas...

Old 11-22-2011, 01:03 PM
5 Year Member
I wouldn't be too concerned with the cat. The engine is burning the fuel. It's miss-fires are what can kill a cat.

I'm still thinking MAF or air box. Everything on the air box and past it are tight w/ no air leaks into the system. Outside chance it's an O2 sensor, but w/ no code tripped for them I doubt it.

Good luck, it's time to head out w/ my daughter and gather dinner goodies.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:48 PM
5 Year Member
I stopped using my kn filter after my last maf went out and honda wents nuts and replaced my coils (out of warranty mind you).

This maf is new and I cleaned it last weekend. The hoses seem good with no tears and the connections are pretty tight everywhere. Don't know how to check fuel pressure or change my fuel filter, which is probably in the fuel tank... Besides changing the pcv valve (which I think isn't a contributing factor) I'm not sure what else I can do. It sucks driving with a cel and having to suspend ug alarms when in stop and go driving.

My uncle has a fit so I can compare the two when I see him.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:05 PM
5 Year Member
I stopped using my kn filter after my last maf went out and honda wents nuts and replaced my coils (out of warranty mind you).

This maf is new and I cleaned it last weekend. The hoses seem good with no tears and the connections are pretty tight everywhere. Don't know how to check fuel pressure or change my fuel filter, which is probably in the fuel tank... Besides changing the pcv valve (which I think isn't a contributing factor) I'm not sure what else I can do. It sucks driving with a cel and having to suspend ug alarms when in stop and go driving.

My uncle has a fit so I can compare the two when I see him.

What are the chances it could be somewhere in the fuel system? I've run cleaners here and there but not sure how that would help an injector that is putting out too much gas.

Think I'll start getting my speech to honda customer care ready to get some goodwill if I can't get this resolved on my own.

That or I can always clear the code and trade her in for a 2012...(Sniff sniff)

Old 08-25-2012, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member
With or without Mount.

None of the Pics showing the UltraGauge installed are displaying correctly. Are most of you buying the Gauge with or without the mount?

Sure wish the pictures would display.

EDIT For some reason the pics are now working. Very interesting thread.

Last edited by cici235; 08-27-2012 at 01:35 AM.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:04 PM
Ultra gauge

Just received it in the mail. So far it's worth the money to know what my little fellers running temp is. I would recommend it to any one with a obd2 port.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:08 PM
5 Year Member
Reviving an old thread in the hopes someone can help.

UltraGauge MX 1.3 on a 2018 EX CVT is not detecting intake air temperature. Is anyone with a GK5 getting this sensor reading on their UltraGauge?

Old 10-19-2018, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member
Ultragauge MX codes for 2018 Jazz

Hi guys,

I'm driving a 2018 Jazz RS.

My Ultragauge MX is not reading the Engine coolant temp, Air intake temp & CVT fluid temp.

Does anyone have the codes for the above to share?

Thanks