General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

TPMS woes

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
TPMS woes

My TPMS system (2008 Fit Sport/AT USDM) has been flaky from the start. It began with false low-pressure warnings, which went away after few thousand miles. At about 35000 mi, I started getting intermittent system warnings (TPMS light). Of course, the warranty expired at 36000. After spending several hundreds of dollars (USD) in troubleshooting and temporary fixes, over a few years, I had to have the electronics module replaced last summer, so I'm well into four digits in cost now.

... and now the TPMS light is on again. As always, it was intermittent at first, and started right after a maintenance minder reset by a dealer. Now it's on all the time again. Will I have to buy yet another module this summer? I can't get a valid inspection sticker with that TPMS light illuminated.

Does anyone else have a Fit with a lemon of a TPMS system?

Old 01-18-2012, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
I'm in no way telling you that you should do this, but, if it were my car, I would remove the bulb from the dash. I've driven my whole life just fine without tire pressure monitors and would not spend money to fix something that I don't need.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
I'm in no way telling you that you should do this, but, if it were my car, I would remove the bulb from the dash. I've driven my whole life just fine without tire pressure monitors and would not spend money to fix something that I don't need.
Regardless of whether the bulb is in place, I can't pass the state inspection with the TPMS failure code. I can ignore or disable the light at my convenience, but having a street-legal inspection sticker is a little bit more important to me.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Buck Fitty
Regardless of whether the bulb is in place, I can't pass the state inspection with the TPMS failure code. I can ignore or disable the light at my convenience, but having a street-legal inspection sticker is a little bit more important to me.
Do they actually hook up a computer to your car? Most states just check for lights on the dash.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:08 PM
5 Year Member
I also find it ridiculous that a working tpms is required for a state inspection. If the car was one year older, it would not have had tpms to begin with.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:13 PM
5 Year Member
They hook it up to the computer, unfortunately, and any failure code is cause for a rejection. You're right, it's ridiculous.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:16 PM
5 Year Member
I did a little research and MA does not require the TPMS to be working.

Wheel Tech - State TPMS Regulations - these guys are the experts
Massachusetts Vehicle Check - this is from your state and lists everything inspected and tpms is not listed

All that being said, I'm sorry for your woes.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:29 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks. I will investigate this further.

TireRack isn't actually the expert, the state is, and the state site you linked to doesn't mention TPMS. The issue, as explained by the state-certified inspector at the Honda dealer, is not that the TPMS error is cause for failing inspection, but rather that the emissions computer on the Fit won't give a "ready" status if there's a TMPS error, and the test won't pass emissions if the computer isn't "ready."

The state website lists some exemptions for vehicles with specific "ready" issues, but not the Fit. Well, I have plenty of time to investigate, my current sticker is valid until summer.

Last edited by Buck Fitty; 01-18-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member
I should not have said Tire Rack are experts. More like they sell a ridiculous amount of wheel/tire packages and have to send them with monitors installed if going to a state that requires them for inspections. The first customer that fails due to Tire Rack's mis-information would result in a mad customer that would call and notify Tire Rack of their error.

I do agree though, that you should not be having the problem. I don't recall seeing much about tpms failures on here, but a search could turn up a solution to your problem.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:55 PM
i deal with tpms issues alot. (typically its customers not understanding the systems, saying they have a flat tire when its just one tire at 27psi, the rest at 28)

do you know what code its giving? is it for a sensor failure, initiator failure? we rarely have tpms modulators fail. i just had a car that had an intermittent problem that i could not duplicate. replaced tpms sensor, initiator, harness that connects to the dash harness, and then the modulator.... still having the problem. the ONLY thing left was RF interference. customer using a device tha was interrupting signal for long enough that it popped the light on.. hopefully you arent having the same problem. luckily this was all in warranty. yours wont be.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by eurobeaner
i deal with tpms issues alot. (typically its customers not understanding the systems, saying they have a flat tire when its just one tire at 27psi, the rest at 28)

do you know what code its giving? is it for a sensor failure, initiator failure? we rarely have tpms modulators fail. i just had a car that had an intermittent problem that i could not duplicate. replaced tpms sensor, initiator, harness that connects to the dash harness, and then the modulator.... still having the problem. the ONLY thing left was RF interference. customer using a device tha was interrupting signal for long enough that it popped the light on.. hopefully you arent having the same problem. luckily this was all in warranty. yours wont be.
No, I don't know the code. But now that I'm investigating, months ahead of my next inspection, I wonder if the inspector at the Honda dealership gave me bad info. He has an interest in selling me repairs, which he did. If the OBD is "not ready" to give emissions data because of the TPMS system error, then the car should be exempt from the readiness requirement. As GAFIT pointed out, and I verified with a call to a disinterested inspection shop, the state does not require a functioning TPMS.

I don't think I'm using a rogue device. Mobile phone, bluetooth earpiece, iPod, are the only electronics I typically use in the car. Formerly GPS, but not recently. I would hope that none of these would interfere with the TPMS. Next time the car is in the shop, I will find out what the code it. I'm replacing a bad tire shortly, so maybe the tire shop can give me the code. They (tire shop) are totally fed up with TPMS!

Last summer, although it had been intermittent, it was constant by the time I took it to the Honda shop. They said they tried everything, and the only remaining option was the new electronic module. What are the "initiator" and "modulator" in layman's terms?

Old 01-19-2012, 01:54 PM
Initiator is just what picks up the signal from the tpms sensor, and module(control unit) is the brains of the system, similar to the computer that controls your engine.

Initiator failure means that initiator (one on each corner of the car) has not picked up signal from the tpms for 3 minutes.

Intermitten problems are really hard to diagnose, so if it's consistent, it should be easy. Only problem is the diag time that is usually no less than an hour,

Old 02-01-2012, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
I have nothing but disdain for the TPMS. In my 2011, now running wheels and tires I brought over from my 97 civic, I can't turn off the traction or stability control because I don't have sensors. While not a huge hassle since, if I get stuck, I can pull the connector for the ABS pump and shut all that stuff down, it still bothers me.

I wish you luck in getting this sorted.