General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

honda fits and big old dogs

Old 04-30-2016, 07:39 AM
5 Year Member
honda fits and big old dogs

hi everyone, i'm currently looking for a more dog friendly vehicle and am considering a new 2016 fit lx cvt. my question to any of you who have large dogs is how hard is it to get your dog into the back seat? i have an 11 year old lab girl with arthritis in her back legs, so far she refuses to use pet stairs or a ramp making it very difficult to get her into my suv. she won't even let me lift her into the seat she tries jumping and i am constantly catching her when she almost makes it to the seat. this makes it hard on both of us and she loves to go for car rides. so, i've driven the new fit 3 times, it seems ok for me but it has to be good for her also. i also drove the kia soul but i think it might be the same problem i am currently having with getting her into it.i would rent a fit and see if it works but don't know anywhere to do that. so if there is anyone out here with big old dog experience and a fit please let me know your experiences. thanks in advance everyone!

Old 04-30-2016, 08:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bigdoglover
hi everyone, i'm currently looking for a more dog friendly vehicle and am considering a new 2016 fit lx cvt. my question to any of you who have large dogs is how hard is it to get your dog into the back seat? i have an 11 year old lab girl with arthritis in her back legs, so far she refuses to use pet stairs or a ramp making it very difficult to get her into my suv. she won't even let me lift her into the seat she tries jumping and i am constantly catching her when she almost makes it to the seat. this makes it hard on both of us and she loves to go for car rides. so, i've driven the new fit 3 times, it seems ok for me but it has to be good for her also. i also drove the kia soul but i think it might be the same problem i am currently having with getting her into it.i would rent a fit and see if it works but don't know anywhere to do that. so if there is anyone out here with big old dog experience and a fit please let me know your experiences. thanks in advance everyone!
It'll be better than an SUV, but dogs just aren't buikt to ride in dogs, so it will always be a bit awkward.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:20 AM
5 Year Member
You could lift one of the magic seats in tall mode to let her in. The floor is pretty low so she could almost walk in. If you can train her to then hop up on the other seat, then lower the seat you lifted.

Or just have both seats lifted and have a pad on the floor. That's what I do with our Chihuahua in her crate.

Last edited by 2Rismo2; 04-30-2016 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
You could lift one of the magic seats in tall mode to let her in. The floor is pretty low so she could almost walk in. If you can train her to then hop up on the other seat, then lower the seat you lifted.

Or just have both seats lifted and have a pad on the floor. That's what I do with our Chihuahua in her crate.
I concur, put rear seats in tall mode and she can simply walk in. Could just put one up and leave other down so she can sit higher and stick her head out the window.

The seats go into tall mode very easily.