General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Buying a Used Fit: Change the key codes for the immobilizer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 08:05 PM
Buying a Used Fit: Change the key codes for the immobilizer?

I'm planning to buy a used 2016 Honda Fit in a private party sale. One deal looks like it may be a go. Test drove the car and had a buddy with me to check it out. The seller and I plan to meet at the DMV to sign release of liability/title/bill of sale, exchange cashier check payment, and hand-over the keys. The seller states he has two working keys that will be provided.

Would it be a good idea for anyone buying an expensive pre-owned vehicle from a private party to later go to the dealership and pay to have the key codes changed on the immobilizer? Just in case the seller secretly retains a third key that was made and then comes to steal the car one night.

Last edited by CoolCar; 06-12-2016 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-12-2016, 09:22 PM
Do you know how much the dealer wants to reprogram?

Old 06-12-2016, 10:31 PM
Probably a couple hundred US Dollars.

One of the things a new homebuyer does after escrow closes is get the keys from the listing agent and then change the locks. Wouldn't changing the immobilizer codes be important for a buyer who has spent $10K+ on a used vehicle from a private party?

Even with insurance coverage, a car theft will pay a lower amount than sales value. Also have to subtract out the deductible. Buy a car today and if it's stolen soon after by the seller, then the buyer is going to lose hundreds in settling the insurance claim.

Last edited by CoolCar; 06-12-2016 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member
If you are doing the sale/exchange at the DMV, how is the seller going to know your home address unless you give it to him?

Rather than erasing and reprogramming, you could ask the dealer to check to see how many keys are registered to the vehicle. If you are given 2 working keys and there are only two keys registered to the car, you're good.

But that still involves going to a dealership, them connecting their scanner to the car, and a tech who is smart enough to figure out the correct answers.....

But since the dealer usually charges a fee just to connect the scanner to the car, you may be paying the same $ as actually going through the erase/reprogram process.

Dealer fees vary, call around and ask.
I've done this for free for a few good customers in the past.

Old 08-09-2016, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member
As a locksmith, I wouldn't bother unless your keys were stolen. For a previous owner to try and take your car woudn't make sense-their name is on the title.

Old 08-09-2016, 06:43 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. If you don't trust the seller enough that you believe they might try to steal back the car with a third key, probably you shouldn't be buying from them at all.

(For what it's worth, I didn't even change the locks when I bought my home. I'm not suggesting that's a smart way to do things in every neighborhood, though.)

Old 08-10-2016, 03:27 PM
5 Year Member
The advice about how many keys are programed is sound, if yer worried about it...my local locksmith dude can do it, no reason to go to dealer these days if you have a decent local locksmith

Old 08-16-2016, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by ezone
If you are doing the sale/exchange at the DMV, how is the seller going to know your home address unless you give it to him?
If they know your name, they can find your address...

Old 08-16-2016, 07:22 PM
5 Year Member
Most cars come with 2 keys.
They are expensive.
If he was a really shady guy he'd just tell you he lost one and only give you one.
Or like 90% of the cars that are stolen these days if they have a imobilizer its done with a tow truck..
Its not a Ferrari LOL