General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Changing Things Up! - From Civic LX to Fit Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 03:33 PM
Changing Things Up! - From Civic LX to Fit Sport

Hey everyone, first time post here. I really enjoy Hondas as my last two cars were the 2012 Civic LX and the 2015 Civic LX. They were great rides but I found myself lacking trunk space many times. I also got a bit bored with the standard sedan body and wanted a change. I opted for the 2018 Fit Sport in black and it's really sweet thus far.

A few considerations that were important in my decision making process:

1) Gas mileage
2) Trunk space
3) Android Auto
4) Price
5) Safety

What I didn't expect was how quiet the car is even when closing the doors. It's definitely well insulated. Android Auto is awesome. This morning I said "OK Google, play Weezer" and it opened the Amazon music app and started playing. The sound of the Sport's speakers is terrific and I boosted the bass a bit from the factory default. I love the leather steering wheel and the threaded trim throughout. The cupholder on the left of the wheel will be very helpful as will the arm rest. It's very spacious for me at 5'7 and does not feel like a small car at all. The red trim on the exterior is definitely flashy as are the black rims. We've come a long way from cheap, plasticky hub caps. The car feels peppy enough on city roads and also on the highway once up to speed. It does whine a bit when merging onto the expressway. I knew this going in though, so I'm ok with that. Suspension feels good as does the handling. As for the hatch, it appears I can sleep two on an air mattress back there. It's huge!

Since I live in Tri-State NY I am considering picking up snow tires. If anyone has a lead on a good model, I'm all ears.

I'd also like to point out if any car dealerships are listening, how much of a letdown it is to spend good money on a car and not get floor mats. I'll be sure to note that on the customer satisfaction survey.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:14 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
that gen civic was such a pos garbage it was unbelieveable. the car did not even feel like a honda.

good choice 'moving up' to the Fit sport. congrats.

Old 02-01-2018, 03:37 AM
Super Moderator
Welcome!

Old 02-01-2018, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
I would recommend the Blizzaks WS80 winter tires.
These are unbeatable in the cost / benefit analysis.

The M. X-Ice 3 are usually rated a bit higher in commercial reviews, however you're paying considerably more for them, and I doubt it's worth it.

Old 02-03-2018, 12:18 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
mmm... my wife's GK is running those WS80's right now and they are garbage in deep snow compared to the previous gen blizzaks i had on my GD/GE's.. not sure what changed but did not grip as well as it did before.

if u must do the WS80's get the narrowest that will fit on the wheels u are using.

Old 02-03-2018, 05:32 AM
5 Year Member
I've used Nokian Hakkapeliitta which are by far the best winter snow tires I've ever used. I've also used the Bridgestone Blizzak (two sets), Hankook I Pike and currently have a set of 195/60/15 General Altimax that I bought from Discount Tire Direct for $66 each shipped. IMO, The Altimax despite the reviews are the worst of the bunch, but for the cost seem adequate for the 10 times a year it snows in Illinois. Regardless, new snow tires are better than any all season regardless of the brand. If I l lived in Minnesota, I'd be on the Nokian

Old 02-03-2018, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
I'm using General Altimax Arctic snow tires on my '15 Fit. They've worked pretty well in upstate NY snow, and don't wear too fast when the roads are dry or just wet (which, let's face it, is most of the winter).

Old 02-07-2018, 12:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
mmm... my wife's GK is running those WS80's right now and they are garbage in deep snow compared to the previous gen blizzaks i had on my GD/GE's.. not sure what changed but did not grip as well as it did before.

if u must do the WS80's get the narrowest that will fit on the wheels u are using.
Absolutely - winter tires should be in the narrowest size possible (175/65/R15 in my case).

I agree that Blizzak WS80's are not very inspiring in deep snow and especially in the slush at intersections.

However that's a great thing because you need to drive extra careful and slower in the snow anyways. Otherwise idiots will be driving through snow as if it were a nice sunny summer day because they got their winter tires on, which makes them invincible.
Since snow is clearly obvious, people should just drive slower and shove their phones where the sun doesn't shine.
I think the ice abilities of a winter tire are a lot more important, as ice isn't as easily noticeable on the roads as snow is.

Anyway, here are some test results done by Tire Rack:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=193

Tires Tested
Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 (Studless Ice & Snow, 215/60R16 95H)
What We Liked: Superior traction on snow, ice and wet
What We'd Improve: Reduce road noise a little
Conclusion: Bridgestone's newest winter performer sets a new standard
Dunlop Winter Maxx WM01 (Studless Ice & Snow, 215/60R16 99T)
What We Liked: Good snow and ice traction
What We'd Improve: Wet and dry traction
Conclusion: A winter tire focused on providing good snow and ice traction
Michelin X-Ice Xi3 (Studless Ice & Snow, 215/60R16 99H)
What We Liked: Good road manners and capable traction in all conditions
What We'd Improve: A little more snow and ice grip
Conclusion: An older tire that still performs well in every form of winter weather
Yokohama iceGUARD iG52c (Studless Ice & Snow, 215/60R16 95T)
What We Liked: Good ice and snow traction
What We'd Improve: Increase dry and wet traction somewhat
Conclusion: A good value that performs well on ice and in the snow
Ice Traction
All four tires performed very well. The Blizzak WS80 and X-Ice Xi3 tires provided the best traction overall. The Winter Maxx WM01 and iceGUARD iG52c also did a good job starting and stopping on the ice, with overall traction levels just slightly below the Bridgestone and Michelin tires.
Snow Traction and Handling
All four tires delivered very good snow traction with a small overall advantage for the Bridgestone Blizzak WS80, especially noticeable when asking the tire to brake and turn at the same time. The Michelin X-ice Xi3 was a close second overall, and like the Blizzak WS80 also delivers very good overall traction with just a little less cornering capability than the Bridgestone tire. Right behind the Michelin was the Yokohama iceGUARD iG52c. The Dunlop Winter Maxx WM01 rounded out the group.

What We Learned on the Road
Under the light handling workload of our Road Ride, the Michelin X-Ice Xi3 continued its leading position for the category, feeling well connected to the road. The Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 was very close behind, and a noticeable improvement in this area versus previous-generation Blizzak Studless Ice and Snow tires. The Yokohama iceGUARD iG52c showed reasonably quick initial steering response, but didn't feel quite as connected as the Michelin and Bridgestone tires. The Dunlop Winter Maxx WM01 rounded out the group with a little slower response and less precise feel.

The Blizzak WS80 led the group for ride comfort, by a small margin. After that it was the iceGUARD iG52c followed closely by the X-Ice Xi3 and Winter Maxx WM01 tires. All four tires produced somewhat more tread noise than a typical all-season tire, but none were found to be objectionable. Such as it was the X-Ice Xi3 generated the least, while the Blizzak WS80 and iceGUARD iG52c scored close behind. The Winter Maxx WM01 produced a bit more growl from its tread than the other three tires.

What We Learned on the Track
While all four tires in this test performed similarly well in the snow and on ice, our testing did reveal some differences in traction in dry, and especially wet, conditions. The Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 provided the best traction in the dry and wet 50-0 mph panic stop test, and also in dry cornering. The Michelin X-Ice Xi3 was a close second, while providing slightly better wet cornering traction than the Blizzak WS80. The Yokohama iceGUARD iG52c offered noticeably less grip for stopping and cornering in both dry and wet conditions, while the Dunlop Winter Maxx WM01 trailed the others, taking 31 feet longer than the Blizzak WS80 to stop in the wet from 50 mph.

Last edited by Andrei_ierdnA; 02-08-2018 at 12:25 PM.