Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Yaris among top 11 most unreliable (Consumer Rep)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Yaris among top 11 most unreliable (Consumer Rep)

11 worst cars - Consumer Reports - Toyota Yaris (base, manual transmission) (7) - CNNMoney.com

Wow. I knew it was disappointingly sucky, but didn't think it'd make a top bottom.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
I'm not sure where you learned to read but nowhere on that page do I see that the Yaris is unreliable.

All this Yaris bashing is ridiculous. I find it a cute and perfectly respectable car, and it has sold well. There is a huge market of people who simply want Toyota reliability, economy, and quality (and I'm talking mechanical, not interior) at the lowest price with no frills.

The Tercel was by no means a great car but there are still many people who love it for its reliability and economy.

Why can't people just be happy with their own choice without having to trash on others' needlessly?

Old 03-02-2008, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member
They didn't like the Aveo either, but it seems pretty popular along with the Yaris, regardless...

You should really change the misleading thread title!

Old 03-02-2008, 03:56 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by coupdetat
I'm not sure where you learned to read but nowhere on that page do I see that the Yaris is unreliable.

All this Yaris bashing is ridiculous. I find it a cute and perfectly respectable car, and it has sold well. There is a huge market of people who simply want Toyota reliability, economy, and quality (and I'm talking mechanical, not interior) at the lowest price with no frills.

The Tercel was by no means a great car but there are still many people who love it for its reliability and economy.

Why can't people just be happy with their own choice without having to trash on others' needlessly?
There is no bashing going on in this thread.
Just facts about the Fits competition thats all. Thats waht this section is here for.:wavey:

Tyler

Old 03-02-2008, 06:21 PM
I probably didn't look hard enough but I dont recall seeing much of anything written in the article about it other than the title.

Its too bad though, as I have been hearing alot about reliability going slighlty down at Toyota recently.

On a side note I read this in the unreliable section where they talked about the Hummer- "A General Motors spokeswoman pointed out that many of GM's more recently introduced models have received much higher ratings from Consumer Reports than the Hummer and Chevrolet vehicles in this list."

HAHAA thats so sad^^^ to put it that way. Note the bold and underlined. Now thats a "best of the worst" statement. j/k
Its good to see them improving, it wouldnt hurt to invest more in some economical cars as well though.

Last edited by Snap Fit; 03-02-2008 at 06:22 PM. Reason: I don't remember.....haahaaa
Old 03-02-2008, 06:49 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Originally Posted by coupdetat

Most reviews say this car sacrifices too much for mileage: performance, safety, build quality, etc. This car is only good if mileage is your #1 concern, which is a bad reason to choose a car.

Even on C/D on their 15 cheap car comparo, the kia rio 5 was ranked higher than a yaris. The yaris is not a competent competitor to the fit.

And to the above poster, toyota quality is going down. However, that is only referring to the US made toyotas. The yaris, as well as the xB, is one of few toyotas built in japan.
Now thats a "best of the worst" statement. j/k[/COLOR]
Its good to see them improving, it wouldnt hurt to invest more in some economical cars as well though.
They have those concept cars called the Chevy triplets, which look really stylish. People got angry that they won't sell it in US, but lately it seems Chevy may make one of the three concepts into a production model, which is good. Another rumor: Chevy, in response to the mileage laws, will turbo charge smaller engines to achieve a good horsepower rating. So there's a chance the Triplet will use a turbo 1.2L. (mustangs will also do this. They'll use turbo V6s instead of V8s)

Last edited by Gordio; 03-02-2008 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:02 PM
I cant agree with anyone who may think the Yaris is an unreliable car. I know a few who have had no troubles with it since they came out. My parents and myself have owned either a Toyota or a Honda since 1983 and have had virtually no troubles. We had a Tercel for 15 years. The only time it failed us was when the battery died at the mall...when the car was 12. In fact, I was considering to buy a Yaris RS instead of my Fit Sport. I still really like the look of the Yaris hatchback! I most likely will purchase a Toyota again. However, there were 2 big things about the Fit that convinced me to go for the Fit:

The Fit is alot more fun to drive and it has more cargo space...gotta love the magic seat! Also, my local Toyota dealer is notorious for ripping people off...including my parents. :mad:

Old 03-02-2008, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by Gordio
Most
And to the above poster, toyota quality is going down. However, that is only referring to the US made toyotas. The yaris, as well as the xB, is one of few toyotas built in japan.
Thats an even bigger bummer

They have those concept cars called the Chevy triplets, which look really stylish. People got angry that they won't sell it in US, but lately it seems Chevy may make one of the three concepts into a production model, which is good. Another rumor: Chevy, in response to the mileage laws, will turbo charge smaller engines to achieve a good horsepower rating. So there's a chance the Triplet will use a turbo 1.2L. (mustangs will also do this. They'll use turbo V6s instead of V8s)
Interesting to hear.
There are lots of autos that the US companies sell/make overseas and it does seem like they are starting to maybe bring some of those ideas and or autos here. Which could only help.
--------------

Old 03-02-2008, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member
Your opinion does not match the April CR auto issue, just out. The Yaris as well as the Fit is highly rated and in fact is the least expensive new car to own over 5 years.
My own opinion of the Yaris is that it is not a good driver's car, something CR does not evaluate.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:05 AM
5 Year Member
did it say somewhere why they picked 11 cars?

seems like an odd number?

Old 03-03-2008, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
Yaris is reliable per CR, but they said that the car scored too low for them to give it the "Recommended" stamp on it. CR particularly did not like the way the Yaris handled during its slalom testing, as well as its atrocious braking performance, surpassed in this department only by the non-ABS Versa.

I was a little confused by the score that CR gave it, since I did not think that it handled that badly when I drove a couple of them.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:08 PM
My Lips Bigger!
5 Year Member
what was the fits score? i cant remember but i think it was like 72 or something right?

Old 03-03-2008, 12:11 PM
My Lips Bigger!
5 Year Member
msn auto has a CR clip...

it says 75! and 75 was also the highest rating given?!?

i wish they would just show the info and make it easier than having to pay -- o well

Old 03-03-2008, 01:58 PM
5 Year Member
its very difficult to evaluate where a car stands when you are using two evaluations....cr and this review may have different criteria.

i'll be the first to say that the only thing the yaris does better is gas mileage...but all the other fits attributes help overcome this.

it also doesn't help to list past experiences. i'm sorry, but how many years you have had a toyota doesn't really influence what type of vehicles they are making 15 years later.

sure, honda does have a few lemons, and the new civic has had some very un-honda issues, but honda has simply done a better job of not riding their past reputation and CONTINUING to put out consistently good and reliable cars.

i don't hate the yaris...it just needs to know its place, and that is below the fit.