Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Toyota Yaris vs Honda Fit!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Spule 4
Happy with the Fit, but I did see a Scion Xa on the way out. I like those, I would have considered one if they sold it as a Toyota. I have owned enough orphan cars to know better on taking on another.
Why does the badging matter that much? You know its a Toyota. Kinda stupid if you ask me.

Old 10-01-2006, 05:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Packy
Results from the NHTSA are in... way worse than the Fit!

Yaris@safercar.gov

Yaris' Results (4-door)

Front Driver: 4
Front Passenger: 4
Side Front: 3
Side Rear: 3

Fit's Results

Front Driver: 5
Front Passenger: 5
Side Front: 5
Side Rear: 3
This is a big deal if you are concerned about safety. Normally you don't get into an accident but only one accident will convince you that just having a safer crash worthy car is worth the expense and worth the safety of yourself or your family members or passengers.

In this day and age having any new car that is not crash worthy is foolish.
You save some $$$ up front but you risk your health.

From these the numbers quoted the FIT is much better than the Yaris AND I found that the Yaris doesn't come with side curtain air bags and dealerships don't get them with this option installed. Therefore most Yaris are not as good as your think for safety.

Please be safe out there.

Old 10-18-2006, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
I really liike both of the Yaris models, but it was the Honda's Magic Seats that finally sold me going for the Fit.

Yaris and Fit are both a blast to drive, and have about the same HP -- think the Yaris is slightly better for fuel consumption, but it's negligible.

My wife preferred the look of the Fit, so that was part of the decision too, while I like the styling of both (and I like the Versa's looks too). Guess, what matters more to me, is the practical side of a vehicle, and the Fit meets my needs with ease.

These cars are simply loveable on many levels! But I will never regret having chosen the Fit, and would do so again.

Later,
Bill

Old 10-30-2006, 07:09 PM
The Yaris isn't as nice as the Fit. I hate that when I would have to look at how fast I was going I'd have to look towards the center of the vehicle. The interior just doesnt cut it for me. As far as saftey goes, I'd stick to a Honda rather than a Toyota.

Old 11-25-2006, 11:13 PM
I considered the Yaris,my local dealer rents them I took one for a week and drove it to california and back.I loved the automatic transmission it has this arrangment so you can shift it thru the gears manually which makes it sweet up and down mt canyons.the interior is compact and has a cheap look but is adequate,you can get used to that center console(kinda)but lets be honest its a drawback the motor is fine I got 39- 41 driving 80mph but hey cruise isn't an option,and w/out the powerpackage they don't give you 60/40 fold seats in the back.The 2 doors in the hatchback were such a hassle my daughter didn't want me to consider buying it.the interior is in intimate contact with road noise,and the suspension is econdrive.That said the engine was very sweet and had plenty of power,and being toyota well that reliability feels good.Its a good car for the right person,But I bought a fit.

Old 12-01-2006, 08:43 AM
Both Honda and Toyota make very reliable cars. However, Honda has always succeeded to make their cars more attractive....until recently. Toyota is getting the idea and are making the Camry, Avalon, and Corolla very attractive. The difference maker between the Honda Fit and the Toyota Yaris is not that one looks extremely better than the other, its the fact that the base models are so different. The safety features of the Fit far surpass that of the Yaris. Dual front and side airbags are standard...not in the Yaris. As for audio, my sister just bought a 2007 corolla and the audio system in my Fit far surpasses that of her corolla. I can only imagine how horrible the sound system is in the Yaris. Cd player is an OPTION in the Yaris.....that just doesn't cut it. The biggest thing, in my pov, is the fact that the Fit can be "pimped out" much easier than the Yaris and look better in the process.

As for which to buy, I think the Fit being named Car and Drivers #1 small car says it all...:)

Last edited by charlottefit; 12-01-2006 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:53 AM
5 Year Member
Fit being named Car and Drivers #1 small car says it all
I did not know that, but I'm not surprised. Oh, and yeah, the air bags in the Fit were another reason that I chose it over the Yaris -- safety cannot be overlooked.

The snow is late getting here this year, so I'm anxious to see how it will perform in the winter conditions, but not anxious for winter! Freezing rain today -- delightful :(

Later,
Bill

Old 12-11-2006, 03:27 PM
FIT > yaris

Old 12-19-2006, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by netghst1
The only really big issue that I have with the Yaris is its center-console design. Being so used to having the gauge read-outs directly over the driver's column is something to which I think most of us are very accustomed. I really dislike the idea for new buyers who haven't driven the design in the past. I feel there is a strong potential for increased Yaris accidents precisely because of this console. If your eyes are hunting around for the spedometer or tachometer, they're not where they should be--on the road.
I own an '03 Echo with same center dash, and it doesn't make accidents more likely. It actually allows you a less cluttered view forward for the road, occasionally glancing sideways at dash.

Old 12-19-2006, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MINI-Fit
This is a big deal if you are concerned about safety. Normally you don't get into an accident but only one accident will convince you that just having a safer crash worthy car is worth the expense and worth the safety of yourself or your family members or passengers.

In this day and age having any new car that is not crash worthy is foolish.
You save some $$$ up front but you risk your health.

From these the numbers quoted the FIT is much better than the Yaris AND I found that the Yaris doesn't come with side curtain air bags and dealerships don't get them with this option installed. Therefore most Yaris are not as good as your think for safety.

Please be safe out there.
I believe the new "power package" makes the yaris pretty much equivalent to the base fit. And at my dealers the otd price for the pp yaris hatchback was about $1000 less than the Fit. I still wanted four doors and magic seats so am going with Fit.

Old 01-13-2007, 12:52 AM
I almost got Yaris base with power pkage, Convience pkage, all wether pkage,.. remote keyless entery... similarly equipped like Fit Sport..about $1000 less ....

then i testdrove Fit and changed my mind....:D

love the Fit... it is perfect fit for me and my faimily.. haha..

Old 01-14-2007, 12:52 AM
another potential advantage for the fit is it will be easier to tune and modify....i know the yaris runs the same engine as the xa but i dont know if it uses that same ecu...but if it does thans that bad because the ecu is so dang smart that it is hard to tune the car for power especially with forced induction even with a piggyback....

Old 01-14-2007, 07:59 AM
5 Year Member
I see many comments about Yaris and the instrument panel beeing placed in the center.

I have driven a Toyota Yaris Verso (now replaced by the Toyota Verso) at work for nearly 3 years know, and it is not a problem at all. It is strange at first but you soon got used to it. I can't say it is difficult to have control over speed or anything else on the instrument panel even if it is placed in the center.

The only comment I have got on this is passenger driving with me can't see what speed I'm driving in without leaning over to to the driver side.

But it sure looks funny, it it looks like the instruments is placed in the engineroom somewhere :)

Since I'm geting a Jazz next week you can probably understand which car I like best of those two? ;)

The Yaris is nice, but have the same problem that most of the cars in this size except Jazz/Fit, the cargobay is too small. And here in Norway the Yaris lack the automatic transmission. It was only avaiable in one engine variation 1.3L / 68HK. That is a bit too weak.

And yes, I've tried the new Toyota Verso. Still too small, in fact a smaller cargo bay than the earlier Yaris Verso...

Last edited by F0NIX; 01-14-2007 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jkandell
I believe the new "power package" makes the yaris pretty much equivalent to the base fit. And at my dealers the otd price for the pp yaris hatchback was about $1000 less than the Fit. I still wanted four doors and magic seats so am going with Fit.
My point was the lack of safety that the Yaris offers even with the "power package" which offers no side curtain airbags. I don't care about the features if there are no side airbags.

2007 Toyota Yaris 2dr Hatchback (1.5L 4cyl 4A)

Option Code Option Name and Description
PP Power Package w/Alloy Wheels
Includes power windows, power door locks, 15" x 5.5" alloy wheels, P185/60R15 tires, rear window defroster, intermittent rear window wiper, 60/40 folding rear seat, AM/FM stereo, single CD player and 4 speakers. NOT AVAILABLE with PQ.
PQ Power Package w/Steel Wheels
Includes power windows, power door locks, 15" x 5.5" steel wheels, P185/60R15 tires, rear window defroster, intermittent rear window wiper, 60/40 folding rear seat, AM/FM stereo, single CD player and 4 speakers.
GY Curtain Side Airbags $650
Includes driver and front passenger side bolster airbags and front and rear curtain airbags.

Any Yaris with no side curtain airbags is not as safe as a FIT that comes with this feature as standard. I have never seen a Yaris in my area with side curtain airbags- has anyone? The same criticism can be said of the 2005 Corolla when it didn't come with side curtain airbags and had a less than good crash test result.
see
http://money.cnn.com/2005/03/06/pf/a...pact/index.htm

When I tried to buy a Yaris with side airbags I was told that although it was a possible factory option the dealership has "never seen" a Yaris with side airbags arrive from Toyota. Implying that if I wanted to wait I should order a Camry.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by F0NIX
I see many comments about Yaris and the instrument panel beeing placed in the center.

I have driven a Toyota Yaris Verso (now replaced by the Toyota Verso) at work for nearly 3 years know, and it is not a problem at all. It is strange at first but you soon got used to it. I can't say it is difficult to have control over speed or anything else on the instrument panel even if it is placed in the center.

The only comment I have got on this is passenger driving with me can't see what speed I'm driving in without leaning over to to the driver side.

But it sure looks funny, it it looks like the instruments is placed in the engineroom somewhere :)

Since I'm geting a Jazz next week you can probably understand which car I like best of those two? ;)

The Yaris is nice, but have the same problem that most of the cars in this size except Jazz/Fit, the cargobay is too small. And here in Norway the Yaris lack the automatic transmission. It was only avaiable in one engine variation 1.3L / 68HK. That is a bit too weak.

And yes, I've tried the new Toyota Verso. Still too small, in fact a smaller cargo bay than the earlier Yaris Verso...
Having owned a Fit for two days, I'll second that the Yaris instrument panel is not bad, maybe even better. On the Yaris, the steering wheel doesn't block the speedometer as it does on Fit, and your front vision is uncluttered by gauges as you look out the front window. I find the Fit dashboard more beautiful (pretty colors), but a pain to use, hidden behind steering wheel and full of distractions. Also, it reflects in the side window if you don't take the trouble to turn it down. I'm used to the center from the Echo so maybe I've just adjusted.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:09 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Fit > Yaris, 'nuff said.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by MINI-Fit
When I tried to buy a Yaris with side airbags I was told that although it was a possible factory option the dealership has "never seen" a Yaris with side airbags arrive from Toyota. Implying that if I wanted to wait I should order a Camry.
when i tired to buy Yaris.. Only the Base model can be equipped with side/curtain airbags.. NOT on Sport Model...Isn't that strange?....

i did find several base models with side/curtain airbags.. then i wanted to add bodyskirts.. then i was told.. i could not get base model with underbody skirts.. lol...

Yaris.. is a nice car but not a good looking car.. IMO..