Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Goverment required back-up cameras on all cars

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
The rear view mirror was invented by Ray Haroun as a means to eliminating the weight of a riding mechanic on his Marmon Wasp race car that he drove to victory in the first Indianapolis 500 Mile race in 1911.... I think a sonar back up device like used on submarines mounted front, rear and side to side ought to be a better than a camera at keeping some people from bumping into or running over things like pets and small children....Most of the electronics being used in new cars are more entertaining than useful when you get to thinking about it.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by The BOM
This, sir, is a grand proposition!

We need to adopt the driving test Finland has :D
QFT.

I certainly appreciate safety, but so much of what gets developed in the name of saving teh children and saving idiots from themselves could be dealt with through more stringent testing with lessons on car control and emergency maneuvers.. and maybe, just maybe licenses should cost more the the $10 or whatever it was at the DMV in Deerfield.

Sometimes we should let Darwin do what he does best...

Tests by vehicle class would be a brilliant step too. As someone else mentioned, for soccer moms who can scrape by the driving test in a Fit, but fail in a full size sedan, theres no way in hell they should be permitted to drive a 5500lb leviathan.

Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I think a sonar back up device like used on submarines mounted front, rear and side to side ought to be a better than a camera at keeping some people from bumping into or running over things like pets and small children....
Sorry what?

I couldn't hear you as I crossed 3 lanes of traffic at 70mph while looking at the GPS, adjusting the radio and TwitFacing on my iPhone.

DiamondStarMonsters likes this post!

;D

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 12-04-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:37 PM
DSF a bit too full of hiss sef... slo up dude

K_C

Old 12-05-2010, 02:37 PM
I also agree with GD3. It also doesn't make any sense to me that difficult driving situations are never tested by the DMV. Did you go on the highway during your driving exam? Did you even go over 45 mph? How about night driving. If academic exams were equivalent to the DMV driving exam you could pass college level math by doing simple multiplication exercises.

When people complain about the government, while often justified, forget what it would be like without regulations and a government. Somalia has been government free for 20 years. I don't hear much from the somalian fitfreak contingent. correct me if I am wrong. I do agree we need to stamp out corruption and special interests that will destroy all credibility of a government created "by the people, for the people".

Oh, and nay to reverse cameras on all cars. Technology shouldn't replace responsibilities and education.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:57 PM
5 Year Member
What is funny to me is all of the cup holders in cars.... There weren't any back in the days of old when it was still legal to drink alcoholic beverages while driving to and from work and or classes... I did just fine without them... I looked at a 1960 Studebaker Lark VII 4 door sedan at a Barbecue joint in town yesterday and noticed that it didn't have a radio or A/C but it did have a 3 speed Borg-Warner automatic transmission and all Studebakers since 1938 also came equipped with a hill holder.. As far as I know only Subaru has hill holders as stock equipment on there cars but it may only apply to the ones with manual transmissions.... Since I know about Lark VIIs since my first car was a 59 model, they didn't have power steering or power brakes yet with an engine that had outer dimensions just a smidgen smaller than a Cadillac it drove very well and got great fuel mileage for cars of that period.... There is already too much needless crap on cars and what is legislated is demanded by the people that must really hate to drive if they need so many distractions....

Old 12-05-2010, 08:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sooznd
So what happens when the camera fails?
I can see it now. "I'm sorry I hit you. I didn't see you because my screen is only a 4:3 and not a 16:9"

Old 12-05-2010, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
What is funny to me is all of the cup holders in cars.... There weren't any back in the days of old when it was still legal to drink alcoholic beverages while driving to and from work and or classes.
Actually they did....sorta. Remember the early GMC pickups had the inside of the glove box lid indented to act as cup holders? I guess they worked OK unless you were moving!

Old 12-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
it's a good idea, but just another thing to break.