Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Just saw a Nissan Versa on the road...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member
Just saw a Nissan Versa on the road...

and it was surprisingly quite stylish. The pictures do not do it justice. I was walking my pooch and it was parked on the road, a nice bright blue just like the Fit. I was hoping the owner would come out but no luck. So I just peeked in the windows and did a walk around and I was impressed. Too bad it's a Nissan. I'll never buy one of those again.

Coincidentally I saw a few Versas when I went down to Puerto Vallarta just a week ago, but saw absolutely no Fits. Lots of Hyundai little cars, 4 door Yaris, Chevy Aeros, but no Fits. Not even on the dealer lot we drove past.

Old 07-27-2006, 05:31 PM
Master FitFreaker
yea the versa is hitting the dealership and u dont have u wait for it not like the FIT.... I guess thats why u see versa, yaris ect... but not the fit

Old 07-27-2006, 06:29 PM
Well then... that just makes us stand out all a bit more.

Proud to be unique and Honda representin'.

I pulled up next to a Yaris the other day. Seemed a lot smaller then I expected.

Old 07-27-2006, 06:50 PM
5 Year Member
Stand out?
I saw a Chevy Aveo and a Base Honda Fit pull up next to each other the other day. They look so similar from the back you could have easily mistaken one for the other.

Old 07-27-2006, 06:54 PM
I meant standing out by being a Fit. More of a rarity then the others on the road. Not standing out by appearance.

Old 07-27-2006, 07:34 PM
5 Year Member
i do some detailing for a nissan dealer and I was checking out the versas the other night. I have to say they are vomit inducing ugly. I would not even think of driving one.

Old 07-27-2006, 08:54 PM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
yeah I have seen more Yairs and Aveos than any Fits... :( but iam glad. i can stand out even more hehe!

Old 07-28-2006, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member
yeah i see yaris EVERYWHERE. there is already 2 on my street a 4 door and "the bubble." Yet i am the only VBP fit (only 2 fits in my city) where i live, and trust me, i stand out thnx to my Aspec Exhaust! VVVVRRRRRROOOOOOMMMM!!!!

Old 07-28-2006, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
Got a good look at the Versa today. VERY attractive car and the French influence shows.

But (it was sitting in a building, so nothing to compare it to) I think it is a tad bigger (longer) than the Fit? Gas mileage is not close and not as flexible as the Fit as far as storage and seating.

As for the Aveo, I parked next to one, other than the long US Fit nose, they have the same profile.

Old 07-28-2006, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by 743power
i do some detailing for a nissan dealer and I was checking out the versas the other night. I have to say they are vomit inducing ugly. I would not even think of driving one.
Thats funny, I thought the same thing when I saw it. They look like the nissan quest hood squished to fit on the rest of a kia spectra

Old 07-29-2006, 02:40 AM
Originally Posted by Spule 4
Got a good look at the Versa today. VERY attractive car and the French influence shows.

But (it was sitting in a building, so nothing to compare it to) I think it is a tad bigger (longer) than the Fit? Gas mileage is not close and not as flexible as the Fit as far as storage and seating.
ah yes, but with the versa you at least get a choice of CVT for USDM. huge plus IMO.

Old 07-29-2006, 08:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bani
ah yes, but with the versa you at least get a choice of CVT for USDM. huge plus IMO.
Well, maybe for pensioners.

Old 07-29-2006, 06:21 PM
Well, maybe for pensioners.
CVT is a much better choice vs geared AT. and a lot of forum members buy AT fits. I guess they must all be pensioners :D

Old 07-29-2006, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bani
CVT is a much better choice vs geared AT. and a lot of forum members buy AT fits. I guess they must all be pensioners :D
I would not agree, having driven both conventional automatics and CVT cars. The CVT cars I drove were 1970s DAF 66s (Volvo 66s). They were downright dangerous. The same motor (Renault 1100/1300) was fine in Renault cars when coupled to a 4 speed gearbox.

Old 07-29-2006, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member
I would not agree, having driven both conventional automatics and CVT cars. The CVT cars I drove were 1970s DAF 66s (Volvo 66s). They were downright dangerous. The same motor (Renault 1100/1300) was fine in Renault cars when coupled to a 4 speed gearbox.
You're arguing against a CVT using an example from the 1970s... that's beyond ridiculous. Like I said in another thread, I'm sure CVTs will replace conventional automatics in the near future, including the Fit. I hope you can drive standard.

Go drive a Versa.

Old 07-30-2006, 12:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by crimsona
You're arguing against a CVT using an example from the 1970s... that's beyond ridiculous. Like I said in another thread, I'm sure CVTs will replace conventional automatics in the near future, including the Fit. I hope you can drive standard.

Go drive a Versa.
Yes, I have not driven one, but I would love to, with a manual transmission. If the Versa had come before the FIT, I would have probably bought one due to former brand loyalty to Renault, but the FIT came to the US the week I needed a car and Toyota were not bringing 5 door Yaris to the States and I did not like the Xa.

http://www.car-data.com/xpage.review...back&writer=cj

"The CVT doesn’t like to downshift quickly, so twisty roads and short passing zones are not the Versa’s friends. The upside to the lazy CVT is fuel economy; the Versa will hit 33 mpg on the freeway."

There already was a post on the other Versa thread about the sluggish nature of the CVT Versa by someone that test drove the car in a hilly area.

Granted, the DAF sold in the US (33) around 1959 was the wrong car for America (tiny air cooled two pot motor) so it did not last long here but sold well in the flat Benelux area. Also, remember that the Subaru Justy brought the CVT to America in the 1980s too with mixed results.

Give me a lever and a clutch pedal any day, even with my bad knee in my old age. The performace and fuel economy are well worth it.

Old 07-30-2006, 12:44 AM
5 Year Member
I think I have figured this out Mr. crimsona.....

I found your other post:

"As the Fit is my first car that I've owned, I didn't have much experiance with the handling charectoristics of many other cars other than my instructor's Corolla."

Can you drive a standard? I guess the Corolla was a Toyota 4 speed auto with lock up torque converter (one of the better and more durable automatics out there) like all the learner cars south of your border. It is ashame they do not teach driving in stick cars.

Learn dto drive stick. Then you would realize what dogs any automatic is. Does not mater if its a Geo Metro automatic or an English built Jensen with a Chrysler 440 hemi in it (trust me, I have driven both and a lot in between both gas and diesel) they sap power.