Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Honda recalls again?

Old 10-10-2012, 01:56 AM
5 Year Member
Honda recalls again?

Article dated Oct. 8, 2012 mentions another Honda recall involving 600K vehicles which includes the CRV and others.
In case your'e interested here's the article: Honda's string of recalls to tarnish maker

Old 10-10-2012, 09:12 AM
Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Would we rather they didn't do a recall?

How many manufacturers are content to ignore problems that arise in the field?

I don't see this as a bad thing. The press will make a stink of it either way, best to do it sooner than later.

The arm-chair generals in the comments are about as bad as youtube commenters.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:19 AM
5 Year Member
I don't know that recalls like this are a big deal. It's a window switch, and it just happens to have been sourced for a bunch of high-volume models.

But I would and am concerned about reliability issues in other areas; similar to Toyota, I think Honda prioritized growth and expanded the number of models they offer too quickly. The first major hint of trouble was the self-grenading automatic transmissions on the Acura TL; subsequently it turns out that to a lesser extent most V6 transmissions have lifespan issues. And increasingly I am hearing complaints about I4 autos too, on the K-series used in the Accord and CRV. My CRV had an AC compressor known to fragment and destroy the whole system; the Civic Si had gear trouble issues.

Honda still has above-average reliability but these issues are definitely not good. My rule of thumb is to buy either Honda's global volume models, or the ones that engineers were excited to work on. The Fit is sold in many markets and an high volumes, so I have pretty high confidence; something like the CRZ is very low volume but designed by a dedicated team that was probably happy to be assigned to a performance model. Other volume cars are the Accord and Civic. By contrast the Si starts as a normal Civic and then a team tries to design a faster version; the Ridgeline is mostly US only and doesn't really engage the engineers; the Insight is a parts-bin exercise. The CRV is sort of midpack in this spectrum, I would say. It probably reads as a massive (boring) SUV to a Japanese engineer, but they'll also sell in the domestic and European markets, so it won't be terrible.

Anything that falls into the "this is a bloated car for bloated Americans only but we felt we had to make it to be competitive" category is probably not a good buy from a reliability standpoint. On the other end of the spectrum are the "we are going to sell millions of these around the world and we need them to be class-leading; plus we want you to make them fun to drive" models. I guess that would make the Accord Sport the potentially most reliable car to buy now. :)

Old 10-10-2012, 10:04 AM
5 Year Member
Toyota recalls 2.5 million vehicles over fire risk

And I bet you guys anything this Toyota recall is for switches from the same supplier. After all the suppliers do business across the board and the automakers cross check their own supply records against competitor recalls to catch things like this.

Other supplier examples that are less boring? For example Nissan sources seats from the same supplier as Saab, making (some of) their seats exemplary. But I have no idea who makes window switches; these are usually not companies like ZF or Brembo that you'd have heard of. The information is often obtainable if you were to go looking, and in some cases you recognize the names as making something non-related ...

Old 10-10-2012, 11:02 AM
5 Year Member
Yup, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
didnt' honda learn from their mistakes on the GD door switch problem? was the same fire risk recall of water getting into the door sw potentially.

if this is result of stupid, and not lessons learned, then honda needs to learn this time.