Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Hoses at Gas Pumps

  #1  
Old 10-22-2015, 09:45 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Shokan, NY
Posts: 2,239
Hoses at Gas Pumps

Why are gasoline hose on pumps so short now? Remember the good old days when you could park on either side of the pump to fill your car? Now you see a line of cars waiting on one side, while the other side of the pumps is empty. Stupid! Was this a safety issue, or are they just saving money on hoses?
 
  #2  
Old 10-22-2015, 10:33 AM
thewebgal's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Fairfax, VA 22030
Posts: 90
Drive around the island and come in from the other direction??
doesn't seem so difficult ...

But I think short hoses may have to do with Vapour recovery systems and such...
 
  #3  
Old 10-22-2015, 10:35 AM
New Member
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 19
Originally Posted by SilverEX15 View Post
Why are gasoline hose on pumps so short now? Remember the good old days when you could park on either side of the pump to fill your car? Now you see a line of cars waiting on one side, while the other side of the pumps is empty. Stupid! Was this a safety issue, or are they just saving money on hoses?
I've noticed that some pumps appear to have short hoses but there is part of the actual pump that will extend out. It works like a keychain you might see on a janitor. They have these at the Costco I go to, and it makes the wait much shorter. You typically have to hold the hose over the car to avoid it touching the paint (or maybe denting the roof on the GK).
 
  #4  
Old 10-22-2015, 10:50 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Shokan, NY
Posts: 2,239
Originally Posted by thewebgal View Post
Drive around the island and come in from the other direction??
doesn't seem so difficult ...

But I think short hoses may have to do with Vapour recovery systems and such...
It's often impossible because of tight quarters and cars in the way. Halfway through the maneuver, someone will drive straight in a take the spot you were aiming for. I can sometimes do it with the Fit, as I did this morning, but it's not a simple solution. I've seen drivers drive by stations where they had to wait.

http://www.kwwl.com/story/25992788/2...-way-too-short
 

Last edited by SilverEX15; 10-22-2015 at 10:52 AM.
  #5  
Old 10-22-2015, 10:56 PM
Member
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SoCal, CA
Posts: 1,545
I remember when gas fillers were centered in the rear, you'd open the license plate to fill the tank!

Of course, the explosions weren't good.

We have a station here that has signs that say "nozzles reach either side" but that only applies with subcompacts, and only then if you sidle right up next to the pump.
 
  #6  
Old 10-23-2015, 08:36 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Shokan, NY
Posts: 2,239
Originally Posted by GeorgeL View Post
I remember when gas fillers were centered in the rear, you'd open the license plate to fill the tank!

Of course, the explosions weren't good.

We have a station here that has signs that say "nozzles reach either side" but that only applies with subcompacts, and only then if you sidle right up next to the pump.
The exhaust is usually on the left and the filler on the right. They can't fit both on the same side of the car. The center-fill was a compromise. Cars in the 1950's often had the filler hidden inside a taillight, or something similar.
 
  #7  
Old 10-24-2015, 06:29 AM
Black3sr's Avatar
Member
5 Year Member
iTrader: (3)
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kitchener,Ont Canada
Posts: 4,166
I used to pump gas back in the early 60s. A challenge to find some of them. 56 Chevy was neat how the taillight would swing out.
 
  #8  
Old 10-24-2015, 07:04 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Shokan, NY
Posts: 2,239
Originally Posted by Black3sr View Post
I used to pump gas back in the early 60s. A challenge to find some of them. 56 Chevy was neat how the taillight would swing out.
The 50's Cadillacs had a similar system.
 
  #9  
Old 10-28-2015, 08:49 PM
Member
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SoCal, CA
Posts: 1,545
And early VWs filled under the hood, with a filler wide enough that you could fill the tank from a bucket if you needed to. Oh, and when the tank was full it was full, none of this nozzle shutting off with a gallon of space left in the tank! :)
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
dennis4558
3rd Generation (2015+)
8
05-21-2016 06:48 PM
davela72
General Fit Talk
18
11-13-2011 09:47 AM
eddie777
General Fit Talk
3
03-04-2009 01:46 PM
pcs0snq
General Fit Talk
26
06-24-2008 11:40 PM
MajorWang
General Fit Talk
1
03-22-2007 09:23 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hoses at Gas Pumps


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.