Racing A place to discuss upcoming and past Fit racing events.

JCrim's Road Racing Thread - Stay Tuned!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 06:31 PM
Hey J, question. What, in your opinion, are the differences in handling between when you ran 16-inch wheels and the 15-inch wheels you run now?

Old 05-14-2011, 12:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Tauwolf
Hey J, question. What, in your opinion, are the differences in handling between when you ran 16-inch wheels and the 15-inch wheels you run now?
if you can fit 15s i say go for it! less weight, more width! also tires are way cheaper.

I used to run 16 X7 on a 205 45 at 17lbs per wheel (not including tire weight)

now i run 15 x 8 on a 205 50. More contact patch, less weight. 12lbs per wheel.

I personally love 15s. especially sense we have 4x100 bolt pattern. its perfect.

I would choose a wider wheel over a taller wheel any day. Like i said though, if you can fit it.

soon i will have 15 x 9s on the front with a 225 45. these wheel and tire combinations on my 15s are the "fastest" combination for the wheel size. Got most info from spec miata racers and miata.net. Those guys dont leave ANY THING on the track and have to be nats ass perfect to be fast sense they are also a low HP momentum car.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:45 PM
5 Year Member
do you need any modifications to fit the 15x8 +36 6UL wheel? i'm guessing no, but just wanted to check. i'm thinking about 205/50s..

Old 05-24-2011, 09:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by loud_tiger
do you need any modifications to fit the 15x8 +36 6UL wheel? i'm guessing no, but just wanted to check. i'm thinking about 205/50s..
No modification at all needed for the wheels.

However, I did roll my rears because of my tire size and how much the rear compresses on the track. I am low but not HELLALOW! just enough to actually gain and not destroy my suspension travel.

Higher spring rates would also fix this issue. I will be ordering some 16K spring rates for my rear shortly.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member
Hey guys! Just wanted to grab a few shots before she gets her insides painted. Wanted to share more details of the caging too. Enjoy!

Just got an LCD screen for my GoPro so I had to test it on something haha. Wiley X Frames FTMFW!

IN BEFORE THE K!

Old 06-07-2011, 07:35 PM
5 Year Member
excellent... the guys who did your cage did an awesome job...

lame question given the previous post: what shift knob is that? and is it on a short shifter?

Old 06-07-2011, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by apexanimal
excellent... the guys who did your cage did an awesome job...

lame question given the previous post: what shift knob is that? and is it on a short shifter?
couldn't have said it better about the cage, and i also am wondering about the shifter, it's not a huge deal having closer throws in road racing but have you thought about a shift extender? i know it sound lane or stupid but i thought that too, then my friend put one on in his EG with a generic short throw in it, and it is amazing, i mean A M A Z I N G the shifter is right there - just off the side of the wheel, kinda like the rally cars you see inboard cameras of, just a thought. i will be getting the mugen short throw (@ Emp cost since i work at a honda dealership) and an extender in my fit next, i LOVE how it feels!

oh i dont work for or even know this guy personally (he lives here in utah) but he sells the extention and owns a fit too ---> TrackReadyonline-for the Honda and Acura enthusiast-prw i'm pretty sure he will sell it for 30.00 bucks (he posts it on his FB all the time)

THIS ENTIRE THREAD IS EPIC!

Old 06-07-2011, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member
another q:

what diameter and wall thickness is your cage?

Old 06-07-2011, 10:35 PM
5 Year Member
Hey guys thanks for the comments!

My shifter set up is a mugen short shifter and a skunk2 shift knob with H-fit bushings. Nothing fancy. The knob is the 50th anniversary edition.. Lol or something like that. This we be for sale when I k swap with the hybrid racing shifter and knob.

I'll look on my pc when I get back home what the thickness on the cage is. I do know it was built to NASA and scca reqs. 1.5" diameter. I can do this do to my weight. 2259lbs.
More weight to shed still! Thanks again!

Old 06-09-2011, 09:54 PM
J, you need to paint the interior. I say silver, or find a green to perfectly match your belts.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:05 PM
5 Year Member
J, you need to paint the interior. I say silver, or find a green to perfectly match your belts.
Yeah I finally decided on oem silver, like the inside color though (non glossy) but will match. Might accent the cage with a color later but for now all will be that silver.

Just looks tacky/ dirty right now haha. I bet painting it will completely change it's appearance. Thanks for the input!

Old 06-09-2011, 11:12 PM
Great minds think alike

Old 06-10-2011, 09:24 AM
5 Year Member
Great minds think alike

Old 06-10-2011, 10:20 AM
5 Year Member
UPDATE!!

Today marks an important day for me and the Fit. Today, my K20A type R is officially fully paid off and now my money is going to be dumped into some serious parts and parts for the swap! Progress will fly from this point on!

Project go fast Fit commenced!

Old 06-10-2011, 12:02 PM
5 Year Member
:thumbsup:

Old 06-10-2011, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by redrumm
damn i would love to do that.

what are the requirements

For those interested in driving their Fit as fast as possible try seeking the events page for most racetracks or race sanctioned organizations, like National AutoSport Association (NASA)to find a high performance driving school.
For example Virginia International Raceway has schools at most NASA events and special schools like MazdaClub.
You will start with an instructor to make sure you don't do anything unsafe but you can go as fast as you and your Fit can safely go.
And no they aren't free. Expect to pay $250-300 for a weekend with about 6 to 8 half hour sessions. And you will have your car inspected for safe equipment, tires, seat belts, brakes etc so don't go with a trashed car. It is a good idea to go with a spare set of front brake pads.
No, a race-prepped car isn't required. Even pickup trucks have participated. You can oiften lap the track in videos on Utube, such as "Fit Leading ... at VIR" You can wreck your car and yourself but over the past 20 years there have been few incidents. (mostly with newcomers with high powered cars. and no don't expect to pass any Lambos or Corvettes.)
Virtually all east coast racetracks offer these hipo driving schools.

Last edited by mahout; 06-10-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by JCrimson
UPDATE!!

Today marks an important day for me and the Fit. Today, my K20A type R is officially fully paid off and now my money is going to be dumped into some serious parts and parts for the swap! Progress will fly from this point on!

J that is freaking awesome! Congrats!

And mahout, you are absolutely right. It's a blast. I also recommend autocross for a great time!

Old 06-15-2011, 06:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JCrimson
UPDATE!!

Glad to finally see this coming along... I have not been on the site in a while and the 1st thing I always do is check this blog

I got mad respect for your car and the way you are building it. Still want to see the 225's in it Because I might just follow you !!

Also I think I too will have more power soon. But since my car is DD, i might just go KW S/C.. with a built up tranny from M Factory (LSD + 4.49 FD + Spec Stage 2+ Clutch)

Old 06-15-2011, 07:01 PM
5 Year Member
dam man thats badass!!! im doing a semi auto cross/weekend small course build as we speak, as far as engine probs i highly doubt you have had any right? even with stock oil pan your doing good?

Old 06-16-2011, 10:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitFlowjoe
Glad to finally see this coming along... I have not been on the site in a while and the 1st thing I always do is check this blog

I got mad respect for your car and the way you are building it. Still want to see the 225's in it Because I might just follow you !!

Also I think I too will have more power soon. But since my car is DD, i might just go KW S/C.. with a built up tranny from M Factory (LSD + 4.49 FD + Spec Stage 2+ Clutch)
haha thanks for the support man! Good news, the wheels and tires will be here shortly! Pics will be up soon! PS: I really do like the L15A and I would love to see you beef it up. Really strong motor.

Originally Posted by fitted08
dam man thats badass!!! im doing a semi auto cross/weekend small course build as we speak, as far as engine probs i highly doubt you have had any right? even with stock oil pan your doing good?
I have 95,000 miles on my L15A. I beat the sh!t out of it on the track over and over. Yes stock oil pan. NEVER a problem. and its hot as hell here in texas. never over heated, never oil starved, etc. the L15A is a great motor and strong as hell.

UPDATE:
Below should be in by the lastest of next week.

upgrading my 15 X 8s to 15 X 9s in the front

949 6ul 15 X 9 et+36

Fronts (15x9) wrapped with Hankook Ventus RS-3 225/45/15

rears (15x8) wrapped with Kumho Ecsta XS 205/50/15

CRITICAL OVERSTEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: JCrim's Road Racing Thread - Stay Tuned!