Racing A place to discuss upcoming and past Fit racing events.

Matt's #SpecFit Project...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 12:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Wow! Great stuff! Definitely not a modification for the faint of heart.
Back in the day.... weld point failures.... may be something you want to inspect from time to time.
Thanks for the heads up. Something I am not familiar with but will add it to my post-event checklist.
My most recent event was at Road Atlanta, where the apex of turn-3 can be a jump every lap.
If you short-cut it just right, its very smooth.... I didn't always get it right.
I tend to use all the rumble strips and sometime a bit of the lawn... So, if its gonna happen to anyone... LOL

Originally Posted by marmaladedad
If only my scale would do this every time I stepped on it!

Looking forward to the video.
Right... now if I could only convince the mirror to lie to me as well.

Originally Posted by knope
Pretty hardcore. I look forward to the event updates, perhaps even some video?
I took a little. I was so busy having fun that I struggled to remember to pick up the GoPro or camera.

Old 09-18-2018, 02:06 PM
5 Year Member

The hero we didn't know we needed until now.

Old 09-30-2018, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
Matt, glad I meet you in person at the #gridlife Gingerman this year... those top plate are legit man, seriously improves the grip without the need of big tires. Also killer job on documenting everything on Fitfreak. Hard find good information on here... hence I haven't been on in years! (since 2015 last log in) BTW its Fernando with the boosted white GD3

Old 10-02-2018, 03:07 PM
keep it going man!

Old 05-12-2019, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member
Think I saw you at Summit Point a couple weeks ago, good stuff man, I've been looking for something like this, makes me regret having sold my 07 Fit Sport, but life happens and then here we are. Hope you keep posting stuff. I resurrected my Fit Freak account just to see if you posted here.

Old 01-23-2021, 04:30 PM
Jumping into Specfit

Matt

Just found the site and reading about your project. Believe I will buy a Fit within the next few weeks and would appreciate any tips or things you have learned. Any year Fits to avoid, have you had the opportunity to do any events, etc. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-04-2021, 11:11 AM
5 Year Member
Spec Fit

Originally Posted by Smithle1
Matt

Just found the site and reading about your project. Believe I will buy a Fit within the next few weeks and would appreciate any tips or things you have learned. Any year Fits to avoid, have you had the opportunity to do any events, etc. Thanks in advance.
hello! I see Matt didn't respond but I've been racing my Fit alot in HPDEs. All generations are good. More power in the 2015+ cars. I thought I wanted to do spec but I'm way too modified. If you haven't, hit the scca website for the rule book before you decide to jump in. Good luck. These cars are extremely fun to drive

Old 02-06-2021, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by Revhappymatt
Hi, my name is Matt.
I live in East Tennessee, am addicted to track rat stuff, and recently acquired an 07 Fit with the intention of getting more seat time... and having a more practical, yet fun, daily driver.

I can't remember a time when I wasn't a gear head. Raised in family of gear heads. Houses were picked based on garage size. Family vacations revolved around event calendars of sanctioning bodies. Family dinners were overshadowed by the presence of stained hands and fuel vapors.

My father always had at least one vintage motorcycle in the house to be pondered and admired. Not parked lazily in a foyer either.. They had a space all their own. Usually equipped with spot lighting, a platform, maybe even period art placed around.... The television got very little use in our homes.

The day my Mother retired from the Navy, she purchased a Pearl White Supra Turbo.... And this was seen as a sound decision by our clan. In fact, my sister is the only one that grew up into a normal, well rounded, beige commuter driving adult. Not sure where we went wrong with her.

However, as life goes; with a wife, house, yard, job, 2 year old boy... and another boy due very soon. I'm your average "TrackdayBro" who's #adulting has got in the way of automotive festivities.

I will pause and say I'm a bit spoiled.... I live by the mountains and I commute on some of the best driving roads in the country. I should be set with great roads, local enthusiasts, and no shortage of spirited drives.

My "Rush Hour"

My Less-than-trusty steed!

My office, early spring, still snow on the ground

But, After a long hiatus from track events or organized motorsport, I began to miss it... There is nothing like being on track and there is no better way to document the challenge of improving your driving and your car!

So I jumped back in the water a couple years ago by taking my 06 S2k to GridLife South, a motorsports and music festival at Road Atlanta. Bone stock other than some brake upgrades and a set of Sport Comp II's

It was a lot of fun; but, I loved that car too much to beat on it the way I wanted too.

So, I did what everyone does and got a Miata. The more budget friendly S2000.

And attended more GridLife...

Up to this point, I have only done HDPE and open lapping and have worked my way up from a novice to the advanced group. Or at least, they let me slap that sticker on my car. But, Im still just driving for fun and playing with my car. But, I keep watching the excitement of all the guys competing in the time attack groups. Seeing how they come in and pour over data and settings and fight for tenths of a second.... I wanted that, I want to keep improving!

Then last year, GridLife announced SpecFit!!!

I watched the fun being had in SpecFit last season and knew I wanted to play. These guys were having even more fun than me and doing it for less money! The prospect of close competition and an adorable little econobox that is likely to be more reliable than my Turbo FC... sign me up!

So, in August I purchased this unmolested 07 with 116k on the clock. Before doing any mods to get it up to spec, I drove it to work for a few weeks to get a feel for the chassis... stock.. Painfully Stock.

My commute can be very enlightening to the shortcomings of a car....
More on my first mods and track prep next time.
Wow very cool! Il be following!

Old 02-09-2021, 07:07 PM
Nice build, great racing! Definitely bookmarking this thread for future reference