1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Car will not start, Water in gas tank / engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 03:25 PM
Car will not start, Water in gas tank / engine

So I guess some bad gas happened to get into the fuel tank, and while i was driving, it stalled. I knew it was something to do with the gas since it happened shortly after a fill.

I got it towed home, and I drained the fuel tank and put some fresh gas in it, and it started for a bit, but stalled again. I pulled the spark plugs out and they were soaked in water. The oil is also getting cloudy I am assuming from water seeping into the oil somehow.

How would i flush the water out from the cylinders?

Old 12-14-2010, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by champagnefit08
So I guess some bad gas happened to get into the fuel tank, and while i was driving, it stalled. I knew it was something to do with the gas since it happened shortly after a fill.

I got it towed home, and I drained the fuel tank and put some fresh gas in it, and it started for a bit, but stalled again. I pulled the spark plugs out and they were soaked in water. The oil is also getting cloudy I am assuming from water seeping into the oil somehow.

First, just because you drained and refilled the tank that didn't get all the water out of your fuel system The reciculation lines didn't drain. So you still have water in your fuel system that you'll have to flush unless
Your cylinder head may be warped and there's a good reason why the oil has water in it. Run a pressure test on the cooling system.
But stalling is more likely from 'bad' gas than cylinder head leak unless its big. Also put some injector cleaner in your fresh gas.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:34 PM
I am hoping it is not a warped head.

The car has been sitting for almost 2 days with water in the cylinders. I am guessing the cylinders are not completely air tight, and that theoretically, the water would have seaped into the oil in this time frame.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member
If it happened right after a fill up it is possible that the station you got the bad fuel at would be responsible for the cost of making your car right.... Texaco put a new fiberglass tank in at my fathers station when Low Lead fuel first came out and a guy that filled up a brand new Buick after leaving the dealership had big time water in his tank.... Texaco had to cover it and we lost money when they had to dig up the driveway a second time and replace the tank with a steel one.... Ether sprayed into the cylinders by way of the spark plug holes will dry them better than about anything I know of.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by champagnefit08

If theres water in the cylinders you could of hydro locked the motor(bent rods), water in the gas would have caused it to stall before you left the station and that amount of water does not like bad gas. Detonation might of caused a head leak either way its sounds costly.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by mahout
First, just because you drained and refilled the tank that didn't get all the water out of your fuel system The reciculation lines didn't drain. So you still have water in your fuel system that you'll have to flush unless
Your cylinder head may be warped and there's a good reason why the oil has water in it. Run a pressure test on the cooling system.
But stalling is more likely from 'bad' gas than cylinder head leak unless its big. Also put some injector cleaner in your fresh gas.
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
If it happened right after a fill up it is possible that the station you got the bad fuel at would be responsible for the cost of making your car right.... Texaco put a new fiberglass tank in at my fathers station when Low Lead fuel first came out and a guy that filled up a brand new Buick after leaving the dealership had big time water in his tank.... Texaco had to cover it and we lost money when they had to dig up the driveway a second time and replace the tank with a steel one.... Ether sprayed into the cylinders by way of the spark plug holes will dry them better than about anything I know of.
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
If theres water in the cylinders you could of hydro locked the motor(bent rods), water in the gas would have caused it to stall before you left the station and that amount of water does not like bad gas. Detonation might of caused a head leak either way its sounds costly.
Basically what these guys said..

Pull the plugs and take a shop vac to each one so you don't rust your bores any further.

Drain the rail, drain the tank, drain the contaminated oil from the pan and get a new filter, aim the fuel line from the rail into a bucket and turn the key to "on" a couple times to bump any residual water out of the lines, spray ether in each plug hole, throw a socket on the crank and make sure it spins freely and then button everything back up and compression/leak down time!

If the compression test blows your rad cap off, its a warped head, if the crank won't turn you hydro locked, and if all checks out and she'll fire back up on some premium fuel and injector cleaner it was a really nasty batch of fuel.

Then go have a chat with the Franchisee/Proprietor of the gas station... pending the results.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 12-14-2010 at 09:42 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverBullet

WARNING I need to add this to this post
If you have more than a drop or two in ANY cyl;inder if you try to crank that engine you will break something. Water isn't compressible and when the cylinder reaches TDC and there's not room something like a con rod will break or bend..
ALWAYS open the spark plug holes of all 4 cylinders and suck any liquid out that BEFORE trying to start. Time consuming but necessary.
good luck.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
WARNING I need to add this to this post
If you have more than a drop or two in ANY cyl;inder if you try to crank that engine you will break something. Water isn't compressible and when the cylinder reaches TDC and there's not room something like a con rod will break or bend..
ALWAYS open the spark plug holes of all 4 cylinders and suck any liquid out that BEFORE trying to start. Time consuming but necessary.
good luck.
Thanks for the added info, its sounds worse than a bad tank of gas.