3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Disable Rear View Camera?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 08:58 PM
5 Year Member
I love the backup camera.

"Maybe it's a cultural thing, as I'm not from this country, but it seems like people here don't like claiming responsibility for their actions. They want to blame someone else, or have electronic nannies designed to compensate for either ignorance or laziness".

You are a troll. And BTW, people who have nannies don't usually drive fits. I think you should go home. I too find your statements offensive.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:10 PM
Sounds like there's something wrong with your camera. Mine is a very clear, has multiple angles, and dynamic reversing line so you know where you're going. I find it very helpful. When you test drove the car why did you buy it if you didn't like it

Old 11-23-2015, 08:16 PM
Backup Camera - where in manual??

Originally Posted by Redd
Seriously though I think there is a way to disable it shown in the manual

I actually use mine with the wide angle to see if cars or people are coming from either side and I can't see that area because of cars around me blocking the view. That is really the only time I ever use it.
Just curious - where in the manual is the Backup Camera mentioned? - it's not in my 2015 manual under backup, camera, rear view, view, reverse or anything else I can think of.

It does apparently have different "views" - it momentarily lights up an Icon saying "Change View", but touching it, or swiping it just causes the icon to go away.

I came to this thread looking for some way to relocate the B/U camera to the top of the rear window - under the spoiler - looking down which seems to me would be a lot more useful.

-Oly

Old 11-23-2015, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by oly2
Just curious - where in the manual is the Backup Camera mentioned? - it's not in my 2015 manual under backup, camera, rear view, view, reverse or anything else I can think of.

It does apparently have different "views" - it momentarily lights up an Icon saying "Change View", but touching it, or swiping it just causes the icon to go away.

I came to this thread looking for some way to relocate the B/U camera to the top of the rear window - under the spoiler - looking down which seems to me would be a lot more useful.
Try page 345. And if you're talking about looking straight down as if to line up in a parking space, you'll find that the camera can do that.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:36 PM
When backing out of a spot with cars on either side, the camera allows you to see cross traffic that would otherwise be invisible from the naked eye or mirrors. I never back into a parking space because then I wouldn't have the wide angle of the camera on my leading bumper to see the cross traffic.

If you would rather be blindsided by cross traffic when backing up, then put black tape over the camera.

Old 11-24-2015, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
I really wish Honda made the backup camera like the turn signal. .You could turn it on to help keep a eye on cars in back of you. I turn on the lane watch whenever traffic is a little wacky.

Old 11-24-2015, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
If I recall they made back cameras mandatory on passenger vehicles starting either this year or next.. Remember seeing it discussed on a political page but don't remember the outcome..

Old 11-24-2015, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by FitFrack
I love the backup camera.

"Maybe it's a cultural thing, as I'm not from this country, but it seems like people here don't like claiming responsibility for their actions. They want to blame someone else, or have electronic nannies designed to compensate for either ignorance or laziness".

You are a troll. And BTW, people who have nannies don't usually drive fits. I think you should go home. I too find your statements offensive.
Look, I'm not trying to be a troll. But there is certainly an issue here in this country with folks being way too sue-happy and not claiming responsibility for their actions. The recent case involving the fella getting hit by the automatic door on a cruise and getting $22 million from the cruise line is a case-in-point. The lawyers are happy to jump on any case that could earn big bucks and pass the blame to someone else.

As far as the camera is concerned, I still don't get it and think of it as a gimmick. Granted, it's a federal requirement on all cars in the coming years, mainly due to those lawsuits and a small number of people being hit. However, it's not that hard to look behind you when reversing, and to look around your surroundings before getting into the car. When backing up into a spot against a wall, I have no qualms about getting out to check how close I am.

I had to ponder this past weekend at the LA Auto Show while looking at the new Ford Explorer that it has six cameras on the front of the car. My first question is: why do I need a camera on the front when I can see ahead of me?

And no, I don't feel like going home yet. I like it here, and I married one of your people.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by NHTSA
The U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) today issued a final rule requiring rear visibility technology in all new vehicles under 10,000 pounds by May 2018. This new rule enhances the safety of these vehicles by significantly reducing the risk of fatalities and serious injuries caused by backover accidents.
source

I bought the Fit because it had a rear view camera and excluded other cars such as the Accent and Rio because they did not. As this will be a mandated safety feature it is logical that you should not be able to turn this off. I find this feature very useful, especially for drivers that are not very spacially aware.

Originally Posted by NHTSA
On average, there are 210 fatalities and 15,000 injuries per year caused by backover crashes. NHTSA has found that children under 5 years old account for 31 percent of backover fatalities each year, and adults 70 years of age and older account for 26 percent.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
source

I bought the Fit because it had a rear view camera and excluded other cars such as the Accent and Rio because they did not. As this will be a mandated safety feature it is logical that you should not be able to turn this off. I find this feature very useful, especially for drivers that are not very spacially aware.
I find it quite helpful when backing into a tight spot or checking for pedestrians when backing out of Wally world. They dart out of nowhere, and try to get hit for an insurance settlement. Liked it so much, I put one in my Camaro. THAT car has such bad rear visibility, that it is really needed.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:57 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by festiboi
Is there a way to disable the backup camera on the LX? The Fit is such an easy car to park being so small and with large windows, that it's almost embarrassing to have the need for the camera.

Two of the three views looking directly behind are so distorted that they are completely useless, and to me, it's more of a distraction. It's just easier to rely on the mirrors, or [gasp] turn around and look behind while reversing. I've just gotten into the habit of ignoring the rear view completely since it's utterly useless.
this day and age, new cars without backup cameras are embarrassing to have. just keep it and ignore it if you dont use it.
i only use the backup cameras to check there's nothing right behind me. i still use my side mirrors as primary.

Old 11-28-2015, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member
Reversed into a parking spot, right beside a curb. There is now way of seeing the curb with your side view mirrors, unless you adjust your mirrors all the way down, then adjust them back to normal. That would take time. Or just estimate. The backup camera showed everything.

Hard to believe but the US Gov't is smart to mandate backup cameras. If you don't like your backup camera, send all of them north of the 49th. We in Canada are not progressive enough for our own legislation so we'll just follow the US.

Old 11-28-2015, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member
That's what those little round blind spots mirrors are great for...

Old 11-30-2015, 04:49 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
Reversed into a parking spot, right beside a curb. There is now way of seeing the curb with your side view mirrors, unless you adjust your mirrors all the way down, then adjust them back to normal. That would take time. Or just estimate. The backup camera showed everything.

Hard to believe but the US Gov't is smart to mandate backup cameras. If you don't like your backup camera, send all of them north of the 49th. We in Canada are not progressive enough for our own legislation so we'll just follow the US.
u must be the modern day driver cause i couldn't backup worth shittt when i tried baking up the GK with just the camera maneuvering around a tight snow bank... lol i used my passenger side mirror on the 2nd try and no issue.

Old 11-30-2015, 05:08 PM
5 Year Member
I heard all this same stuff when they mandated mirrors on the passenger side of the car,, worthless, extra cost "being screwed over by the man" etc.. its just another tool in the toolbox use it when its the right one.. LOL

Old 04-09-2021, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member
The backup camera is handy for seeing what is directly behind the rear bumper, on the ground. You can't see the ground there, by turning your head to look out the rear window, or by looking in any of the mirrors. There could easily be a baby crawling there. I use my rear view camera when I am backing into a parking space that has a curb at the end of the space, so that I can get the rear bumper right up to the curb, and no further, so that the curb doesn't scrape the bottom of the car, and so that there is no space between the bumper and the curb. Camera also is handy when backing up toward a wall so that you can get as close to the wall as possible, while still being able to raise the hatch, without the hatch hitting the wall. There is a line in the camera view that shows the hatch position, should the hatch be open.