1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Transmission problem And Dealer Story!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 02:42 AM
5 Year Member
honda's automatic trannys are not known to be top notch compare to other automakers. and the fit's tranny is too early to tell given that the oldest model here is only 2 years old. lets hope these auto trannies wouldn't go to the realm of the 1997-2001 Auto Honda Preludes or the 2nd generation Acura CLs.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:31 PM
UPDATE!

Got the car back and now NEW problem, Stop sign, release brake, hit gas, NOTHING, VRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRM, Shift. Car is now hesitating and then super high rev and gear bang. Im losing my mind! Did that getting onto the highway! HOW SAFE!

This morning, stop sign reved to 6K and did not shift at all i let go of the gas and the car started rolling, gas again and car went on fine. And there trying to tell me nothings wrong. Take the car back in this morning and start explaining some of the things you kind folks here said. He tells me to take the tech on a drive, he gets in and im like "Well lets hope it acts up now that your in here." put the car in drive, a little gas, nothing, BAM! we start rolling, his eyes light up and he goes"whoaa, uhhh, oh it didnt do that when i drove it" take him to a safe long stretc of road get the car to 45 all the while the gears are slipping and he keeps asking "is that what you mean" Whirling noise starts, woosh woosh woosh, i ask if he honestly can now tell me that is the gas tank and he states that it did not make this noise when he drove it, now EVERY single time i have driven it over 40 in the past 3 weeks it has done this so i guess the fit must like him. puzzled he says my tires could need balancing, awfully coincidental if you ask me BTW i do not know anything about the above mentioned death rattle you guys were talking about.

Pull back in and he says it could be my fluid and that even though the manual says 60,000. It could be possible to need one, so i tell him i checked it when the problem first started and it was fine, the level was fine, and it really wasnt dirty. he asks to check for me, i pop the hood as i go talk to the cashier tech, he pulls out the stick, and calls the cashier dude over and mummbles to what i could tell "theres no fluid" or "clean fluid" both get a really frightened look on their faces, the tech drops down and touches what im guessing to be the trans fluid tank, throws on some white gloves, checks again and springs up looks at me and mummbles "theres a leak" and walks away quick. i say ohh a leak, must have not noticed that these past 2 times. they say they will call and i leave.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:48 PM
5 Year Member
Surprised they didn't blame it on the power steering pump

Best of luck to you. I went into my local Honda dealership and was promptly told that the AT 07 fits DO NOT have a transmission fluid filter. I told him that it's underneath the airbox and five minutes later I had a price and an ETA. Too bad it was over three times what Bernardi Honda wants for it...

Old 07-30-2009, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kevinkidstar138
Ok i have had my 07 auto Fit since 6 miles, I am now at 31,500.
Two weeks ago, on normal acceleration after the engine got warm (occured a few times right at start) the transmission would slam into first and then second and then third. And when i say slam i mean it would jerk me forward, wasnt beating on it, normal acceleration, revs go a little higher than normal and SLAM!. Take it to honda on grand here in chicago, and they replace a trans fluid switch that they say shorted out, also try to get my to do a trans fluid swap for 159.99 THEY ARE OUT OF THEIR RIGHT MINDS thats a 60.00 job anywhere else, i decline and leave. all is well.

2 days later the car seems to be acting strange again, not slamming into gear anymore but, first is reving a bit higher than normal and when i get to second it shifts and then hesitates and kicks in, almost like it quick shifts from second to third, bam - bam, annoyed, i bring it in again yesterday. They call and ask me if i have my stock exhaust. I have an Aspec axle back. Have had it since 5,000 miles. I ask why and they state that they need the stock exhuast to have stock backpressure, etc. I bring them the stock axle back this morning and they just called and said that it was the aspec exhuast that may be causingthe issue. I agree to come pick it up and drive it for a few days to see if the problem persists.

Any ideas?

First, let me say none of us here have had automatics to work on for the last 50 years.
However, we do have a service manual. On pg 14-022 to start there is a whole page regarding late shifting and excessive shock when shifted into D, D3, and S. Most of it stems from misstored DTC and A/T clutch pressure control, among several others. It is very time consuming and tedious to test so the dealer may not have the expertise.
This may be a case where Honda USA might be involved for a complete transaxle exchange.
There are several areas where abuse can be the cause so be aware of that.
I vote for the clogged orifice in the separator plate as the cause but its only a guess based on likely assemblty trash rather than defective or abused parts.
And there are so many sensor inputs to the ECU that can affect shifting that I would not say the aftermarket exhaust is not at fault. The only way to tell for sure is replace the original exhaust and see.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:13 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
i kinda figured it was the fluid (or the lack of) at fault...

Old 07-30-2009, 01:19 PM
5 Year Member
it's stories like this that make me cringe when i hear how much faith people have in their techs. If the mileage when I get it back is the same as when I dropped it off, I don't want to hear how you drove it around and it's fine now.
Just confirms to me that I don't know enough about cars and I'm going to get shafted sooner or later.

Old 07-30-2009, 01:24 PM
hopefully its the fluid, im just more scared now of what has been done to the trans being driven with no/very low fluid. mahout if the fluid for me isnt the problem how in the hell do i go about explaining what you said to the dealer. this is all so frustrating and i feel as if i have the only fit in the world with this issue, i have never beaten the car, nothing.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:34 PM
5 Year Member
imho i think fluid and fixing the leak (under warranty ofcourse!) would probably get you back on the road... but difficult to tell how it affects you long term.

i would write to american honda to make a claim and to log the incidents where your dealer failed to find the leak twice.

it's not rocket science to look under the car to find a leak. lol

Old 07-30-2009, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
oh, and ask american honda to give you free extended warranty on drivetrain.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
I'm glad the problem has been sorted out. Now I am really greatful for this forums to help educate us if and when this problem occurs with our cars. We should all have some type of knowledge about our cars so we can try to diagnose the problem without the stealership playing games. Let us know what the stealership decides. I would raise hell if they blame anything on you.

On a side story I have a few friends that work for the dealership and they told me how one guy forgot to tighten a clients oil cap in the engine bay. The client drove home and saw the oil leaking from the bottom of the engine. The client opened up the hood and the whole engine was covered with oil. The client called the dealership and demanded that someone go over to that persons house clean the engine and fix the problem. Bottom line the tech guy who made the mistake had to clean the whole engine and was let go the next day.

Last edited by danger69; 07-30-2009 at 04:41 PM.