1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

CEL and error code. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
CEL and error code. Please help

I have an 08 fit and this morning the CEL came on. I went to autozone and had it scanned. It returned a P0128 code. I called the honda dealer and they say at min it will be $175 for a new sensor. Has anyone else here had this code before? What can I do to fix it? Can I just live with it without hurting the car?

Jason

Old 12-02-2010, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by rw02kr43
I have an 08 fit and this morning the CEL came on. I went to autozone and had it scanned. It returned a P0128 code. I called the honda dealer and they say at min it will be $175 for a new sensor. Has anyone else here had this code before? What can I do to fix it? Can I just live with it without hurting the car?

Jason

Smells like BS to me but it is possible.. P0128 is thermostat related.. But I am sure they would love to ding you for a new sensor while they are in there. Basically it is telling you that the engine is taking to long to get up to temperature, usually because the thermostat has failed in the open position allowing it to circulate through the long circuit and cool off.

Things that could cause a P0128 CEL:
Low engine coolant level
Leaking or stuck open thermostat
Faulty cooling fan (running too much)
Faulty coolant temperature (ECT) sensor
Faulty intake air temperature (IAT) sensor

Here is what to check:

Verify coolant strength & level
Verify proper cooling fan operation (check if it's running more than it should). Replace if necessary.
Verify proper engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor operation, replace if necessary.
Verify proper intake air temperature (IAT) sensor operation, replace if necessary.
If the above items check out good, replace the thermostat

OBD-II Check Engine Light Trouble Codes

Old 12-02-2010, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Smells like BS to me but it is possible.. P0128 is thermostat related.. But I am sure they would love to ding you for a new sensor while they are in there. Basically it is telling you that the engine is taking to long to get up to temperature, usually because the thermostat has failed in the open position allowing it to circulate through the long circuit and cool off.

Things that could cause a P0128 CEL:
Low engine coolant level
Leaking or stuck open thermostat
Faulty cooling fan (running too much)
Faulty coolant temperature (ECT) sensor
Faulty intake air temperature (IAT) sensor

Here is what to check:

Verify coolant strength & level
Verify proper cooling fan operation (check if it's running more than it should). Replace if necessary.
Verify proper engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor operation, replace if necessary.
Verify proper intake air temperature (IAT) sensor operation, replace if necessary.
If the above items check out good, replace the thermostat

OBD-II Check Engine Light Trouble Codes

Real good website, have to bookmark this.