1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

My Fit has some quirks...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 12:14 PM
Wink My Fit has some quirks...

Hi there!

I got my first Honda Fit this summer after being carless/ sharing an Audi Allroad with my husband for the last few years. All my previous vehicles were sad beaters. I'm super excited about my Fit and love it very much. I am not really "car literate" so bear with me... It's an '08 frosty blue sport model. It has a few quirks- The dome light doesn't work, the radio randomly will decide to not emit sound, and the blue coolant light stays lit up for about the first 2- 3 minutes of driving. My husband thinks the dome light and radio quirks are due to electrical issues. The coolant light I'm wondering about. Is it normal to be lit for a few minutes, or is that an indication that maybe the fluid is getting low?
Thanks!

Old 09-24-2018, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
Congrat's on the Fit!

For the dome light, have you tried changing the bulb and changing the switch position. If my memory is correct, the center is door activated, toward driver is on, and toward passenger is off. That's if my memory is correct. The bulb is a festoon style and they don't always make the best connections.

The radio problem makes me think the previous owner had an aftermarket radio installed and didn't properly connect the harness when putting the factory radio back in. Fit's aren't generally known for wiring issues.

The coolant light is working properly. It stays lit to let you know the car is still cold. Drive it gently during that period. It's Honda's way of saying take it easy, it's not warmed up.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the reply! I'll try getting a new bulb and seeing if that works. Would I get that at a hardware store, an automotive shop, or online?
When I search for images of an 08 fit radio, most of the images match the one that I have. Should I have a mechanic take a look into it?

Thanks again!

Old 09-24-2018, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member
Bulb is a DE3175. Maybe get the cheapest one you can find to test (Walmart or any auto parts store has them) and then get an LED version if it works. The LED's last much, much longer, provide more light, and are easier on the small battery.

My suspicion is that there WAS an aftermarket radio and they didn't re-install the factory radio very well when putting it back to sell/trade in.

Other possibility is that it's just going bad. If you have to replace it, I'd go aftermarket. The factory radio isn't so great and is probably expensive used. The buttons on ours are starting to not work. I'll be replacing it with aftermarket.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member
Oh, about the dome light... sometimes it's just a bad connection also. These types of bulbs can be finicky. Heck, the bulb could be missing entirely. Used car...never know.

I would start buy popping off the cover and seeing what's there and seeing if the bulb is burnt out. One or both ends will be black if burnt out.