2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit.

PRM CAI and ADD oil catch can install

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 06:11 PM
Arrow PRM CAI and ADD oil catch can install

After reading a ton of reviews and listening to a bunch of sound clips, I finally pulled the trigger.

First off I dont want to push the products I installed just offer advice and a review.

The PRM CAI was my choice for the intake, has a great sound that I loved the second I herd it fired up. It really is very quiet until the RPM's reach around 3,000 and just gets louder as the RPM's get higher.

After reading reviews I saw that an oil catch can also be a good safe guard to prevent unwanted oil gases to reach the intake. It is not neccessarily needed, but the old rule of thumb. Better to be safe than sorry. Plus if it catches any bit of gunk, its a plus in my book.

I did not like the quality of the hose that was shipped with both the intake or the oil catch can. So I chose to get some blue push lock hose in both the -8 AN and -6 AN. I also wanted to change all the fitting to Speedflow fitings and push lock. There were a few glitches I had to figure out, in order to get all the fittings right.

Here are a few pictures of the install and all the fittings.

Name:  DSCN0511.jpg
Views: 3328
Size:  257.3 KB

The fittings that came on the catch can were silver, but I also switched those to -6 AN fittings.

Name:  DSCN0512.jpg
Views: 10160
Size:  228.1 KB

Name:  DSCN0513.jpg
Views: 1611
Size:  242.1 KB

Name:  DSCN0514.jpg
Views: 1827
Size:  368.4 KB

For the intake I had to grind the port down a little so I coud put the fitting on.

Name:  DSCN0519.jpg
Views: 1319
Size:  182.4 KB

Name:  DSCN0520.jpg
Views: 1330
Size:  169.3 KB

Name:  DSCN0523.jpg
Views: 1352
Size:  207.3 KB

The bracket that came with the ADD oil catch can was chrome, but i dint like that, so I painted it black and attached it the the battery tray. I also went a picked up some black bolts and nuts, to try and give it an OEM feel to the install.

Name:  DSCN0524.jpg
Views: 1556
Size:  222.3 KB

Over all I like the way it sounds, and that it came out looking really good in the end. I didnt really notice any horsepower gains. Besides maybe a slight pep when trying to pass someone in traffic. I do plan to switch more of the hoses out to blue pushlock hoses and black fittings, but that will be later down the road.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:47 AM
5 Year Member
Question

Thank you for the Pictures. , Where did you get the oil catch ?

Old 03-18-2012, 08:31 AM
I made the purchase on Ebay. Just type ADD oil catch can and it should come right up. It was cheap also at only 54. However, with all the fittings and hoses it cost over 200. But all the extra stuff really makes it pop. They also have red, carbon, and purple ones, but the red blue and purple are the only ones that I saw come with a breather filter on the top. Hope this helps.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:36 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bdogpot
I made the purchase on Ebay. Just type ADD oil catch can and it should come right up. It was cheap also at only 54. However, with all the fittings and hoses it cost over 200. But all the extra stuff really makes it pop. They also have red, carbon, and purple ones, but the red blue and purple are the only ones that I saw come with a breather filter on the top. Hope this helps.
Thank you, You did a very nice install.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:35 PM
Quick Update on this
Had my first oil change the other day and went ahead and took the filter out of the PRM intake and cleaned it. I used the K&N air filter recharge kit after doing some research. As I was washing it according to the instuctions, there was a large amount of debre in the filter. Everything from grass, leaves, bugs and dirt. So always clean the filter when you change the oil. On a side note it takes for ever for the filter to dry completely. So expect to let it sit over night and air dry. I also took the lid of the catch can of, no oil. So in my honest opinion, it may not be a neccesity but better safe than sorry. I will continue to give updates about the items from time to time, just to let people know about the parts and to give people for accurate descrptions before shelling out cash.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by bdogpot
Quick Update on this
Had my first oil change the other day and went ahead and took the filter out of the PRM intake and cleaned it. I used the K&N air filter recharge kit after doing some research. As I was washing it according to the instuctions, there was a large amount of debre in the filter. Everything from grass, leaves, bugs and dirt. So always clean the filter when you change the oil. On a side note it takes for ever for the filter to dry completely. So expect to let it sit over night and air dry. I also took the lid of the catch can of, no oil. So in my honest opinion, it may not be a neccesity but better safe than sorry. I will continue to give updates about the items from time to time, just to let people know about the parts and to give people for accurate descrptions before shelling out cash.
Any way you could take some pics of the inside of the can for me? I'm looking into the same one but can't find any info on filtering media etc...

also I'm questioning your use of a vented can in this application...typically if you're running a CC between the VC and intake you'd run a closed can so you don't suck in unmetered air through the filter, just wondering why you chose this particular can for this particular application.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:25 PM
5 Year Member
Everything looks real good.. The only advantage to the catch can or oil mist separator, as us old guys called them 40+ years ago, on a N/A engine is that you can use 0W20 oil with out it being sucked into the combustion chamber... It kills your performance at high RPM by causing ignition timing advance to be pulled back.. With the PRM flowing as freely as it does you would have no problem unless the filter was real nasty if you did at all. Some guys in the past said that oil was making it's way into their intakes and it is a problem on boosted Fits.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:31 PM
I understand the point of a catch can, I'm just wondering why he used a vented can and still routed it back to the intake...I've seen vented and I've seen them in between the 2 ports but I've never seen a vented can that routes back to the intake (or IM on a pcv side can)

Old 09-23-2012, 06:49 PM
5 Year Member
My guess is that he did it because of his desire to make it look nice by routing the hose to the intake.. It's not needed but it does look nice.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:14 PM
If I ever have any free time I will take some pictures of the inside of the can. Just know time until saturday. I was unaware that the can was to not be vented, I have seen them both ways and just figured that it was just due to the brands they used if it had a vented or none vented. I will try switching it to none vented and see if it changes any things. The can was real clean on the inside, prob will never have any oil go into it. It is also a brand new car still with only 10,000 miles on it. I also herd that wire scrub pads that you use to wash dish's could be thrown into the can to aid in catching the oil. All I could find were the ones that had soap built into the pad, which I would assume would be no bueno for the engine. The add can is not to bad for the price, there are def better can made from other companys like cusco, greddy, and rx(rx is actually the most efficient and best on the market from what I found. However, at 150 it was alittle outa my price range.).

Old 09-24-2012, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
You have already gone to the expense in time and money doing it the way you have, leave it as it is.. I would do mine the same way if not boosted.. An air compressor water accumulator will do the same job for anyone that has oil reaching the throttle body and lacks cash or room under the hood for something larger... The only drawback is that it would need to be drained more frequently.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member
Wrong side! Oil gets in the intake from the pcv by thermostat housing. Where you have it is the intake side where air goes into engine.