2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

just a couple quick questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member
just a couple quick questions

Hey guys, i'm looking at starting to finally install all of these speakers I have laying around and could use a little help from the more experienced. I'm not new at installing stereos/speakers/systems by any stretch, but I was wondering if anyone knew the mounting depth in the front doors of the GE. I've got some Boston Acoustic Pro Series, and the magnet looks pretty big, so I wanna make sure I'm not gonna run into the glass. I also saw some "adaptor rings" on ebay, will a standard 6.5" slide into our doors, or do i need to get that ring?

Also, does anyone happen to know a good place to mount a 4" mid in the front? They'd be wasted a little in the back since I rarely have people back there. I've never installed mids before, so any info on how to properly support a speaker would be helpful. I would assume, drill a 4" hole in my door panel, put an mdf ring behind it for support and screw into it. seems simple enough.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:17 AM
5 Year Member
The easiest way to check the depth is to have the window down after you get the door panel off, plug in your window module and just roll it down and after removing the factory speaker test your mid and see if it hits the glass. *NOTE BE CAREFUL* If it does then you will need an offset ring, you can make them out of MDF no need to buy ones premade. Here is a picture of my mid with a ring I made so that it would not rub.

As for your 4" mid, there really isnt room in the door for it, unless you made a complete custom pod for both the 6.5" and the 4". It is possible but would take a lot of work. I would either leave them out entirely or look into making small kick panels down near the dead pedal on the driver side and in the same are opposite it on the passenger. If you have any other questions, check out my install log here https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...stall-log.html or you can ask away on this topic or PM me, I have taken my 09 fit completely apart and done everything myself.

Have fun!

Old 04-15-2011, 12:38 AM
There is a little more that 2.5" depth in the front doors to the metal part of the door. I would suggest custom rings or adapting the stock speakers/mounts to become a mounting ring for the new speaker- there is a post in this forum about converting the stock speakers to mounting rings.

As for the 4", unless you want to dremel that 2" dash opening where the tweeters are mounted there really isn't much space..

Good luck!

Old 04-16-2011, 05:22 AM
Just something I read, if you're making your own speaker rings, try using a cheap cutting board. Since they're plastic, in case you have moisture problems down the road, it won't warp the adaptor. Of course, it would mean other problems, but I guess it's one less thing to worry about.

Old 04-16-2011, 02:24 PM
Wood rings need to be water sealed or made of Cedar. Otherwise they WILL eventually rot out.

Old 04-16-2011, 04:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by soulfly
Wood rings need to be water sealed or made of Cedar. Otherwise they WILL eventually rot out.
After several years, sure however most would either replace speakers or trade the car in before that would necessarily happen, typically water dmg in doors is related to older cars where the seals are bad.