2nd Gen GE8 Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Bypass Module Required for Aftermarket Alarm On Base Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 03:06 PM
Bypass Module Required for Aftermarket Alarm On Base Fit?

Hi. Long time lurker, first time poster. Waka-waka.......

I want to install a Crime Guard 350i5 alarm on my 2009 Base Fit (without keyless entry; w/base stereo). This will add security and keyless entry, supposedly...

Crutchfield tells me that no immobilizer bypass is necessary, but I've read from several other sources that one IS required.

Question: If my car doesn't have keyless entry "active" (meaning, I'm not using a fob/key to L/UL), do I need a bypass or not?

If yes, can someone recommend a quality brand/model?

If not, then that's awesome (less $ to spend).

Thanks, in advance, for the help.

--Ryan

Last edited by FITycent; 09-03-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member
Since I've not installed one on my Fit or on a GE I can't say for sure but I'm 99% sure that you need one. The bypass interface is usually based on an ignition immobilizier and not a keyless bypass. With 98 model Honda's and forward and most every brand of car after 2000 should need some sort of bypass. I get mine from the shop I used to work for and we used the bypasskit.com ones. DEI also makes some good ones.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by lashlee
Since I've not installed one on my Fit or on a GE I can't say for sure but I'm 99% sure that you need one. The bypass interface is usually based on an ignition immobilizier and not a keyless bypass. With 98 model Honda's and forward and most every brand of car after 2000 should need some sort of bypass. I get mine from the shop I used to work for and we used the bypasskit.com ones. DEI also makes some good ones.

Cool. Can I use any brand or does it have to be the same? Would the Directed Electronics PKALL be what I'm after, or something even more basic?

I'll check those suggestions. Thanks.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:12 PM
I emailed Omega (manufacturer of Crime Guard and many others) with my specific question...........Turns out, unless one is planning on using remote start, no bypass module is necessary for this particular alarm (350i5) in my application.

Now, I'll have to wait for the alarm to get here and do my installation before I can say whether Omega is correct, but this was certainly good (cheaper) news.

Thanks for the help.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:31 PM
5 Year Member
Good times! Good luck with the install and take your time. Most alarm installs can fail from something simple, trust me...

Old 09-06-2011, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by lashlee
Good times! Good luck with the install and take your time. Most alarm installs can fail from something simple, trust me...
I've been into home/car audio for 20 yrs, always done my own installs ( from mild to wild), but this will be my first alarm attempt.

If a wife, job and two little girls have taught me anything, I hope it's patience....

Old 09-12-2011, 11:22 PM
Did the install over the weekend. Between childrens' interruptions and just being a dad and the labor around here, I'd say it took me approximately 4 hours, taking my sweet time.

NO BYPASS MODULE NEEDED.

I'm only using the alarm and keyless entry, no remote start, so Omega and Crutchfield were correct on this particular make/model.

I hate paying money to Crutchfield, but for $80 worth of alarm, I also got all the instructions for removing panels and such, handy for the next phase for the Fit: stereo.

Next up is my Oxygen Audio O'Car iPhone head unit. Hope to have it installed by the weekend. Fun stuff.....

Thanks, again, lash....

Old 09-13-2011, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
Cool. I'm glad you've got all worked out. My wife has started hinting around that she wants the remote start on the fit since she will be driving it this winter so I'll be doing some digging! Good luck with the rest of the install!

Old 09-13-2011, 08:21 PM
You know, if we lived in your climate, my wife would probably be all over me to put a remote start on her Highlander. Like a lot of gals, she's cold in a 75-degree room and would want her ride nice-n-toasty on a Tennessee winter morning.

BUT, she doesn't see much use in ME having one in Texas, even though in summers, if you park in the open without shade all day, it's like climbing into a furnace when getting in your vehicle. And I'm HOT in a 75-degree room.

BTW, I'm an Aggie and my boys are SEC-bound in 2012. Looking forward to some new rivalries..... Gig em'.

Last edited by FITycent; 09-13-2011 at 08:26 PM. Reason: because
Old 09-14-2011, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator
I would trust what Crutchfield says. I have been using them for years and they have never steered me wrong

Old 09-14-2011, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by MNfit
I would trust what Crutchfield says. I have been using them for years and they have never steered me wrong
My main issue with Crutchfield is price. By and large, they're high most of the time.

Actually, my bigger gripe has been with their service. Now, that's not saying their service is bad, it's very good, but you have to pay for that service.

Case in point: twenty years ago, Crutchfield catalogs included vehicle fitment guides for free. Over time, they got tighter and tighter about what information they'd divulge.

Today, if you want that same fitment information (although, they do throw in lots of instructions), you have to buy something. Plus, they only provide the instructions for the specific part/application that you buy from them, no more. So, buy a wiring harness, get radio removal/installation guides, but no more information about speaker sizes/depths, panel removal, etc........

I'm not harping on them for running a business or charging for the information, but it just kinda' bugged me that I eventually couldn't get details from them unless I bought something (remember those high prices?).......

Thanks.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FITycent
You know, if we lived in your climate, my wife would probably be all over me to put a remote start on her Highlander. Like a lot of gals, she's cold in a 75-degree room and would want her ride nice-n-toasty on a Tennessee winter morning.

BUT, she doesn't see much use in ME having one in Texas, even though in summers, if you park in the open without shade all day, it's like climbing into a furnace when getting in your vehicle. And I'm HOT in a 75-degree room.

BTW, I'm an Aggie and my boys are SEC-bound in 2012. Looking forward to some new rivalries..... Gig em'.

I understand completely about how the wife seems to have some influence on the things that matter. She drives the 08 Fit and I drive an 98 Accord with 205,XXX miles on it. I wouldn't trade her for the world!

As for the Aggies, it's gonna be interesting. My wife is a Horns fan and my brother in law is a Tide fan so weekends in the fall are always interesting.
There should be some good games this year.