2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripped wheel lug $839

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
Stripped wheel lug $839

Time to do brakes/routine maintenance. But that wasn't gonna happen today.

Coupla' months ago I had a simple tire repair done at a local tire shop. Apparently the tire guy didn't pay much attention to how hard he hit the lugs with the air gun. When I attempted to remove one of the RF lugs, it was crossed and would not come off. Tried retightening it, which simply snapped it off.

Without tools to deal with pressing out the hub/bearing, needing to deal with long-gone stupidity, I headed to the dealer and they need to replace the hub/bearing. Stud can't be removed on-car, you have to pull the knuckle and press it all out. $839. I'd rather take that out of that dumbass tire clown's head, but can't remember who did it at the time. Whatever, fix it and move on. I've always torqued them @ 85# by hand, first problem ever, lesson learned the expensive way.

Old 10-12-2019, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator
why you went to the dealer for this? you know they will rape you. should have gone back to the tire shop or another local place.

i've screwed up and had my tire come off blaming pep boys for not torquing the wheel properly. they checked the cameras and the tech never even touched my wheels. it was my fault since i never torqued it since it was flatbedded to pep boys. they replaced all studs and i was ready to pay up but they said not to worry about it since i go there often enough.

Old 10-12-2019, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah you're going to pay through the nose to have that done on your own.

I jack my car up on jackstands, remove the wheels and take just the wheels to a shop whenever I need a balance or new tires.

Old 10-12-2019, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member
Screw the tire place, I don't ever want them to touch it again. Unfortunately the dealer is going to hold you for ransom on anything. Parts are worth less than $300, just have to get it over with

Old 10-13-2019, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by gkitf16
Screw the tire place, I don't ever want them to touch it again. Unfortunately the dealer is going to hold you for ransom on anything. Parts are worth less than $300, just have to get it over with
yep live and learn. they've got me several times before i learned.

Old 10-13-2019, 12:01 PM
Bummer! I do not know how difficult it really is to replace one lug stud; when the same happened to me, I had my uncle's shop replace it for me. If it was anywhere north of $100, I would have been charged.

Old 10-13-2019, 02:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by marmaladedad
Bummer! I do not know how difficult it really is to replace one lug stud
On the front you got to do the whole hub, cause it's a press-in to the bearing. The hub and bearing are cheap, it's the teardown labor & time. Remove the steering knuckle, press the old parts out, press new bearing and hub in and reinstall. Bad design. But lots of stress on these critical parts, so they have to be secure. Rear are very easy to replace a hub, 10 min with hand tools if you're slow. If you were to do a single stud, have to freeze them for pressing them in. But the hubs are the cheap part, not really necessary

Old 10-15-2019, 11:46 AM
On the front you got to do the whole hub, cause it's a press-in to the bearing. The hub and bearing are cheap, it's the teardown labor & time. Remove the steering knuckle, press the old parts out, press new bearing and hub in and reinstall. Bad design. But lots of stress on these critical parts, so they have to be secure. Rear are very easy to replace a hub, 10 min with hand tools if you're slow. If you were to do a single stud, have to freeze them for pressing them in. But the hubs are the cheap part, not really necessary
I see. Mine was done on the rear. I did not know the front was so involved.

Old 10-15-2019, 01:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by marmaladedad
I see. Mine was done on the rear. I did not know the front was so involved.
Taking care of the rear lugs I'd just change the whole spindle/bearing, get it from RockAuto (Honda wants almost $300 for this ). Super easy to do, just remove the spindle nut and pop it off, make sure you have packed new grease in the bearing and the seal is good, reinstall, done. No pressing involved.

Old 10-15-2019, 03:44 PM
Taking care of the rear lugs I'd just change the whole spindle/bearing, get it from RockAuto (Honda wants almost $300 for this ). Super easy to do, just remove the spindle nut and pop it off, make sure you have packed new grease in the bearing and the seal is good, reinstall, done. No pressing involved.
Bookmarking this for future reference. Thanks!

Old 10-17-2019, 09:17 PM
I bought the wheel bearing press kit from Harbor freight for 60 bucks and the bearing for 40 from Amazon, BeckArnley It’s a little bit of a pain but nothing you can’t do in about two hours. Pull wheel off, spindle nut, slide hammer hub off, lower ball joint, half shaft, ABS sensor, press out bearing press in new, reassemble and bring slide hammer back to AutoZone. The rear takes longer to take the tire off and than change the bearing hub assembly.

Old 10-31-2019, 06:23 PM
Time to do brakes/routine maintenance. But that wasn't gonna happen today.

Coupla' months ago I had a simple tire repair done at a local tire shop. Apparently the tire guy didn't pay much attention to how hard he hit the lugs with the air gun. When I attempted to remove one of the RF lugs, it was crossed and would not come off. Tried retightening it, which simply snapped it off.

Without tools to deal with pressing out the hub/bearing, needing to deal with long-gone stupidity, I headed to the dealer and they need to replace the hub/bearing. Stud can't be removed on-car, you have to pull the knuckle and press it all out. $839. I'd rather take that out of that dumbass tire clown's head, but can't remember who did it at the time. Whatever, fix it and move on. I've always torqued them @ 85# by hand, first problem ever, lesson learned the expensive way.
The Honda dealership broke FOUR studs off on my dad's Fit.. then they tried to assert that this was some defect that he needed to pay for... He heard them snap them off with the impact gun...

Old 10-31-2019, 08:08 PM
I hate when they torqued the wheels with impact gun, especially when you're a wheel whore lol