2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

HELP -- Passenger Side Dashboard Rattle Driving Me Nuts!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 09:18 PM
HELP -- Passenger Side Dashboard Rattle Driving Me Nuts!

Does anyone have a constant rattle coming from the front passenger side of their 2009 Fit? Mine sounds like a loose screw, sitting on a plastic, vibrating from the car moving. It sound comes from the front passenger side dash, where the glass meets the dash (or at least that is where it sounds like it is coming from).

If anyone has this problem and has figured out the cause and fix, please help! It is driving me up the wall.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member
Check the outside corner edge moulding.

Old 07-11-2009, 02:01 AM
I have the same rattle, no fix. Slowly going insane.

Old 07-11-2009, 02:11 AM
there was a thread on this before i cant find it but i think the "Fix" was to take out the glove box and but in some cushioning in to the upper kick panel

Old 07-11-2009, 07:10 AM
5 Year Member
My glovebox door rattled, but since the warm weather has come, it's stopped. I expect it will return in the fall.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:22 AM
5 Year Member
I have the same ratte, faint, but there nonetheless.

I removed the upper glovebox to have a look, but there is an electronic box (ECU, maybe) that obstructs full access to hvac ducts and everything else back there. I can actually see a faint outline of the ribbing that supports this box from the exterior side of the right dash, basically a high point on the dash material, same dimensions as the box underneath. It's a mild cosmetic flaw, and it may only be on mine, but I doubt it. It's more visible when viewing that area from an angle. I guess it goes with the price point.

Anyways, removing the lower glovebox and going in from there allows full access, but I still haven't isolated the rattle. I guess the next step is to drive with both gloveboxes removed to get a better hear for the source.

What I really need to do is pull the A-pillar window weatherstrip (both sides, parallel to the trailing edge of the stationary side glass) and adhere some thing behind it to stop the window rattle when the windows are lowered about 2" or so. I know some have already done this, and one of the Honda techs I was talking to says it's also a major issue with 2-door Civics, to the extent that there's a TSB on those. I haven't decided yet what to use, I just know it has to have a tape side for a permanent fix. Any suggestions?

Last edited by badself; 07-11-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:58 AM
or.... you could go to your local hardware store, buy a stick on rubber bumper. look for about a quarter inch think. stick it above the stock bumper in the glove box on the upper left side. rattle=gone for less that 2 mins and 2 dollars

Old 07-11-2009, 12:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sl1pg8r
or.... you could go to your local hardware store, buy a stick on rubber bumper. look for about a quarter inch think. stick it above the stock bumper in the glove box on the upper left side. rattle=gone for less that 2 mins and 2 dollars
Neither of my gloveboxes rattle all. I know some folks have the glovebox rattle issue.

This rattle is coming from deep inside the right dash, but thanks for trying to help (+ rep for that).

Old 07-15-2009, 02:52 PM
I'm getting a clicking from the passenger A-pillar area. I have taken off the moulding, taped everything up inside and out in that area and still no luck at getting the noise to stop. It has been in the shop twice and they have been unable to solve it as of yet. The shop did suceed at scratching my passenger vent, getting grease on my top glove box cover, and actually break the outside black molding piece in front of the passenger side mirror (they did replace that). They're last solution was to stick a screwdriver between the windshield and frame and pry (as evidenced by the scratch paint on the inside of the car - which will be covered when I put the A-pillar trim back on). I think it is the actual windshield or small side window making the noise. They are supposed to check with the regional Honda Rep. and get back to me. What a mess!

Old 12-01-2011, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member
I have this rattle too - it comes from the area of the passenger side dash where it meets that little window or the windshield. It kind of sounds like a wire or something inside hitting a plastic surface, or like the OP mentioned, a screw. It is not the glove, although if the glove(lower) is hanging open it goes away a little. Ugh. Sucks that no one has a fix. It sounds like a little ticking when you go over the right kind of bump. SOOOOO Annoying.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
It's the plastic trim on the outside of the windshield at the base tapping on it.

Lift it up gently and put either some silicone sealant or foam weather stripping between it and the glass.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Steve244
It's the plastic trim on the outside of the windshield at the base tapping on it.

Lift it up gently and put either some silicone sealant or foam weather stripping between it and the glass.
Steve that is a different rattle. The rattle we speak of is inside the plastic dashboard somewhere. It goes away when you open the lower glove box. It's a heat/cold related rattle, sometimes there for several days, sometimes it goes away completely for weeks.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:12 PM
5 Year Member
If it's more of a buzz than a rattle (kind of like bass buzz) when you go over bumps and such, I've found another source.

Swore it was something in the glovebox, behind it, or the box itself.

I rode in the passenger seat for an extended period with someone else driving and didn't hear it.

Driving it for more days, I continued to hear it. I emptied the glove boxes; still heard it. Rode with them open; still heard it. Flipped down the lower glovebox and inspected wiring and retaining clips of everything behind the dash; still heard it.

Next time someone rode in the passenger seat I didn't hear it.

It's something rattling/buzzing in the passenger seat reflecting off the windshield. Adjusting the passenger seatback a little more reclined made it go away.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
It WAS the passenger seat on my 2010 Fit!

When you're driving and the clicking/rattling noise starts, try pushing DOWN on the passenger seat next to you. If the noise stops, then it's one of the seat's bottom rail floor mounting bolts. Sometimes they work loose in their mounting holes and rattle against the metal. I tightened up the loose one I found and presto, no more clicking or rattling noise!

(A clue: If you or someone else is sitting on the passenger seat this noise will usually disappear, as the rail bolts are then getting downward pressure!)

Best,
Chazzlee

Old 05-15-2012, 04:43 PM
5 Year Member
interesting, i thought it might be the wipers. i get a similar sounding rattle in my other non-honda fit car occasionally

Old 02-13-2020, 10:30 PM
I just started getting this rattle in my 2010 Fit Sport. It is driving me nuts! Only happens when I hit rough road but it doesn't take much. It sounds like a long wire hitting a plastic housing somewhere. I've had both glove boxes off and felt all over as much as I can but no good. My next try may be to take the top of the dashboard off completely to get a good look and feel down there. I can't find a link that tells how to take that long plastic dash top off though. If I find the answer, I'll post! Tonight I stuffed a small nerf football between the upper glove box and the dash. If it stops this rattle, I will let you know. If it wasn't for this one rattle, the car would be "casket quiet"!

Last edited by JerryHughes; 02-14-2020 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by JerryHughes
I just started getting this rattle in my 2010 Fit Sport. It is driving me nuts! Only happens when I hit rough road but it doesn't take much. It sounds like a long wire hitting a plastic housing somewhere. I've had both glove boxes off and felt all over as much as I can but no good. My next try may be to take the top of the dashboard off completely to get a good look and feel down there. I can't find a link that tells how to take that long plastic dash top off though. If I find the answer, I'll post! Tonight I stuffed a small nerf football between the upper glove box and the dash. If it stops this rattle, I will let you know. If it wasn't for this one rattle, the car would be "casket quiet"!
The Nerf football didn't help and in fact, I can't find the ball now! Somewhere in the inner workings of the dash. Ugg. I took both side tabs off the front outside windshield moldings. Nope. Took off the entire plastic molding underneath the windshield wipers and drove the car without that and the wipers and the side-shields and still have the rattle. It does sound like it's coming from under the dash somewhere but while driving and I lean forward over the dash as best I can, the sound, instead of coming from the center of the dash, moves to the left side of the dash. I tried stuffing some styrofoam between the front of the dash where it meets the bottom of the windshield but that made no difference. This is unbelievable. I'll keep trying and post if I find the answer. Frustrated!

Old 02-15-2020, 07:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JerryHughes
The Nerf football didn't help and in fact, I can't find the ball now! Somewhere in the inner workings of the dash. Ugg. I took both side tabs off the front outside windshield moldings. Nope. Took off the entire plastic molding underneath the windshield wipers and drove the car without that and the wipers and the side-shields and still have the rattle. It does sound like it's coming from under the dash somewhere but while driving and I lean forward over the dash as best I can, the sound, instead of coming from the center of the dash, moves to the left side of the dash. I tried stuffing some styrofoam between the front of the dash where it meets the bottom of the windshield but that made no difference. This is unbelievable. I'll keep trying and post if I find the answer. Frustrated!
I can PM you the service manual for instructions to assemble the dash. Might help direct your ear to the source.

Old 02-15-2020, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by Red 05
I can PM you the service manual for instructions to assemble the dash. Might help direct your ear to the source.
That would be great. Thank you very much. I was hoping that taking the top of the dash off would be as easy as it was with my old Saturn which just "unsnapped" and could be lifted out but this looks much more involved. Yes, please P.M. the info. Thanks again and have a great day.

Old 02-15-2020, 08:52 PM
Sweet Lord in Heaven I found the rattle! By just dumb luck I found out that the TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE rattle was coming from the driver's side sun visor! A few days ago I unsnapped the one side of the visor that can be unsnapped, to shield the sun from coming in from the driver's side window. Of course, I had to unhook the visor where it hooks into the clip at the roof. When I moved the visor back to the original position, I didn't bother to snap the visor back into the clip so I didn't notice anything different. Tonight, when getting in the car I re-snapped the one side of the visor back into the clip and the rattle is completely gone! Thing is, the small snap or home for the visor that is secured into the ceiling isn't even loose! Does not move at all. Go figure.
And the worst part about this is that I could have sworn that the rattle was coming from under the dashboard! The rattling sound would even move when I leaned over the dashboard from the center of the dashboard to over the steering wheel. But at no time did it sound like it was coming from above. I am so glad I didn't rip this dashboard apart!
Red 05---of course, I won't need the service manual but thank you very, very much, again, for offering. Happy as a clam here while driving in peace!