2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My April- fools!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 09:27 PM
My April- fools!

So all kidding aside, I got my Eibach Pro-Kit scratch & dent springs (the box was pretty rough, but the springs are perfect ) last night, and started putting them in. Left (driver side) front went in with no problems. Got the passenger wheel off and pulled everything apart. The top nut came off easily enough when I pulled it off...

Next, I removed the bushing on the top of the strut assembly, cranked down my spring compressors, and went to work on the assembly nut with my long ass breaker bar. It seemed to be taking a lot of effort, so I sprayed it with PB, went inside for a drink, and came back. That's when I saw it...

No pics, sadly, but the entire threaded stud on the top of the strut was cross-threaded and stripped. Yaay. I cleaned it up as best as I can, and it seemed fine. It came off with what seemed like normal force, so I continued.

Of course, I put the new spring on, trimmed the bump stop and so forth. I got the top nut started, got about halfway, and errrrp! Stripping. Well, I figure I'm not removing this sucker until I blow a strut anyway, so I zip it down with the impact gun. So now that's on...

THEN... I put the strut assembly back in, do up the brake/suspension bits, and go to put on the top nut... and I get maybe a quarter of the way on, and it's STUCK. The allen key stripped to hell instantly (yes, I used a 6mm key), and the shaft is just spinning. Tried backing it off- no joy...

So yeah, happy April Fool's Day. I know, I know, I'm the fool. This month's off to a great start! Let the flaming begin...

Either way, stupid Honda! Mark W.