2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

LMS Recall - Engine Noise (Tick/Clack)

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 12:54 AM
same response from dealer

Klane, I got the same response from my dealer. they had a rep listen to it and they compared it to another fit, and I'll admit it sounded very similar, but mine didn't sound like that before. At idle, it sounds good but quickly gets loud and starts ticking exactly the way you described. Let me know what you come up with. By the way I called Honda and they said I had to take it to same dealer that originally did recall.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:09 AM
5 Year Member
Valve adjustment needs to be re-adjusted to correct ticking noise-without a doubt, have it rechecked it is not related to lost motion spring component as there is no clearance between spring and rocker, also if clearance is too tight may feel slight engine miss/stumble at idle=should feel smooth quiet engine

Last edited by honda599; 05-23-2011 at 01:13 AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:23 PM
Well, perhaps it is the valve adjustment, but not according to my dealer. I took it back for the third time on May 13. We listened to mine side-by-side with a new fit. Mine was definitely louder, but you could hear the clacking on the new fit also. Mine is much more noticeable than the new Fit from inside the car though. Dealer admitted that mine was louder but assured me that everything was fine. His explanation remains that the new springs are stiffer and that for these very small highly efficient engines a little bit of noise is not an indication of a problem. I sure hope they are right. My "solution" for now is to keep the radio on so that I don't hear it - otherwise it drives me crazy... Admittedly it doesn't feel any different and I haven't noticed a change in fuel economy or anything else - although this is the time of year that fuel economy improves a little anyway so it's hard to tell. Maybe - if it's really related to the valve adjustment - there is an sound difference across the acceptable range of adjustment? So on one side of the acceptable range it's quiet but on the other side of the range the tick/clack is more apparent??? That would explain why there seem to be so many varied experiences with this recall and how some engines got quieter, some louder, and some stayed the same... (I have no idea though.) Anyway - good luck to others out there with the same issues/concerns.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by klane
Dealer admitted that mine was louder but assured me that everything was fine. His explanation remains that the new springs are stiffer and that for these very small highly efficient engines a little bit of noise is not an indication of a problem.

Maybe - if it's really related to the valve adjustment - there is an sound difference across the acceptable range of adjustment? So on one side of the acceptable range it's quiet but on the other side of the range the tick/clack is more apparent???
These are tiny little engines lacking a ton of cast iron to dampen valve train noise, purely mechanical valve gear, and a lot of plastic topside, too. So some "audible operation" is expected.

BUT..the function of the LMS is to always maintain a zero clearance between the secondary intake rocker arms and the secondary intake cam lobes...zero all the way around the cam lobes...so there can't be any noise from the LMS being stiffer. He's just making that up, I guess.

The re-set of valve clearances after the LMS replacement MIGHT be a source of more/less noise, but the specified ranges are pretty tight. The intakes are supposed to be .006-.007 and the exhausts .010-.012 so I would say IF they are in these ranges (and that's a big IF from what some people have said) then I wouldn't think you'd hear a difference. Especially since these are roller rockers.

geo

Old 05-24-2011, 06:13 PM
I'll be taking mine back this week. The valve tick is loud enough that passengers in my car have asked if the car was going to break.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:42 PM
5 Year Member
I'm noticing mine a whole lot all the sudden. I had the recall done about 2 weeks ago, and since then it has been hot and I've done most of my driving with the windows down. With the cool weather here this weekend, I've had the windows up, and without the wind noise I've definitely noticed a very distinctive clinky tch-tch-tch sound from the engine. Much louder than anything I've heard from the engine in the more than two years I've owned the car. Not sure what I should do.

I can hear mine at idle pretty good and it gets louder under part throttle gentle acceleration. Someone mentioned that maybe they thought what they heard was an injector noise, but if it were that, it should be gone while coasting with the car in gear since the injectors should shut off, but mine is very audible while coasting too. I'm not looking forward to going to the dealer here to mention it, because they seem to do anything they can to deny that there's every something going on (heck, getting them to reprogram my mpg computer was like pulling teeth).