2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible to fit a trunk type bike rack for a spoilered Fit/Jazz?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 03:20 AM
Is it possible to fit a trunk type bike rack for a spoilered Fit/Jazz?

Hi there.
Greetings from Istanbul, Turkey.
I have quick searched the forum and it is recommended hitch type racks or roof racks for bike carrying. But they are rather expensive and not very common here. I won't do long trips with them, instead of, I will do 3-4 mile trips on weekends. So a trunk type bike rack would be great for me.

Although their websites dont recommend these type of bike racks to a Fit/Jazz (a spoilered Fit/Jazz in special)), I wonder whether they could be applied.
There are bike racks for spoilered sedans such as Yakima Superjoe or Saris Sentinel.

Look the rear foot arcs over spoiler (though they are not spoilered cars in official pictures) and the upper belt/harness goes rear part of trunk door.

This is my OEM spoilered lovely little Jazz.

Could these racks be applied to my car ? Upper belt/harness will be a bit short ? But I think it could be ..

Anybody having any experience or recommodations ?
Thanks in advance.

P.S.: Hope my English is okay.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:19 AM
5 Year Member
Haven't done it on a Fit but have used the type of rack on a sedan. The upper strap have to be attached to the upper hatch but the spoiler might be in the way. And I don't think there's enough clearance to string the strap under the spoiler. The spoiler might not be able to hold the weight if you put the strap over the spoiler.

I think it's best if you use a roof rack instead. Other option would be to remove your spoiler (might not be practical). Good luck!

Old 10-03-2011, 05:55 AM
5 Year Member
You might consider installing a trailer hitch and getting a hitch mount carrier or if your bikes have quick release hubs just remove the wheels and put the bikes behind the back seat.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
Nope can't be done. I have the exact same rack pictured, from another car I had. It fits,but when you put bikes on it bends the spoiler to point of breaking. Only way to work is on basic fit,no spoiler,or remove the spoiler. I simply drop the seats and carry mine inside. I like the slightly better security it offers if parked somewhere.

PaFitter

Old 10-03-2011, 11:40 AM
5 Year Member
Even with your smaller spoiler I don't think it's going to work. As TC mentioned your best option is to install a trailer hitch with the bike rack.

See these threads for more info and pics ---> https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...lots-pics.html
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...-diy-pics.html

On a side note, you guys get the small rear spoiler stock? I've been wanting that for 3 yrs now.... but I should be getting it by January.

Also, check with your local Honda dealer, they might offer the hitch OEM, being that they offer it in the UK.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:16 PM
5 Year Member
I have a rack like the one pictured that I used on a 1st gen Honda Odyssey against the manufacturer's recommendation. It worked OK but I was looking behind me a lot to see if bicycles were being tossed around the road.

I tried to make it work on my spoilerless "Base" Fit and it was a bad fit. The gap on the top of the hatch was not wide enough or shaped in such a way for the strap hooks to securely attach. The rubber covered bars that contact the car in two places did not match up well with available flat areas on the back of the Fit. I could have forced things at the risk of damaging the car or having it come off while underway, but I didn't. Maybe modifications are possible, but I didn't want to drill holes in the car to attach the straps.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:28 PM
5 Year Member
I am in agreement with most everyone above. The wing will cause a problem for the FIT as a large amount of downward pressure will be placed on the wing itself. The further down you install a trunk mount rack on the hatch of the fit the more the straps are going to be pulling down on the outside edge of the spoiler. one big pothole while fully loaded and that wing will snap off (and likely your bikes will take a dive as well.

Trunk mount racks were designed to be placed so that one of the arms is a load bearing arm, The straps were meant to keep the rack on the back of the vehicle, not provide support for the bikes' weight. My parents had a trunk mount rack on the back of the VW Vanagon but dad also fabricated aluminum "straps" that hooked up over the top of the hatch (right next to the nylon ones) that provided the necessary support.

Roof rack or trailer hitch is your best bet if inside the car isn't an option. I went roof as I have skis and a cargo box that I want to carry and anything else that hangs down low on the FIT isn't a benefit in the winter.

~SB

Old 10-04-2011, 06:19 AM
Thank you all, guys !!

Will try to find a roof or hitch rack