2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Picked up 2013 PMM Fit today - car pull left

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
Picked up 2013 PMM Fit today - car pulls left

Hi guys,

Just picked up a PMM Fit....well not really for me, but it's my grandpa's.

Is the electrical powered steering very hard to adjust to drive straight?
Have to tilt the wheel about 5 degrees in order to drive straight.
Centering the wheel causes car to go left.
Feels kind of weird, anyways, just wanted to ask new owners if they experienced this.

I'll bring it back to dealership after work.

Last edited by wing0; 10-25-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:59 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
sounds like alignment is off. very odd for a new car.

check psi too, might be low on left.

and no, my shop had no issue realigning my car to track straight after i did some suspension mods on it.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:01 PM
5 Year Member
First thing I checked was tire pressure.
All set to 38PSI. I dropped it back down to the recommended 32PSI.
No difference in all 4 corners now. Still does the same thing.

I thought this would have been discovered during the PDI, even the sales is confused at this point.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member
Was going to say the same as ken. Make sure they don't charge you for it.

I wonder if this one was made in China...

Old 10-25-2012, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Vanct
Was going to say the same as ken. Make sure they don't charge you for it.

I wonder if this one was made in China...
That's the reason I called the sales the moment I reached work so they don't blame it on me hitting something.

I am not going to pay for this since I wouldn't be able to tell if alignment is off without driving it off the lot.

You're right, it is MIC...sigh...I would import one from the US if it was easy/convenient.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member
well its new and warranty covers aliment till 11,000 miles i believe take her in

Old 10-25-2012, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wing0
First thing I checked was tire pressure.
All set to 38PSI. I dropped it back down to the recommended 32PSI.
No difference in all 4 corners now. Still does the same thing.

I thought this would have been discovered during the PDI, even the sales is confused at this point.
actually it's suppose to be 32psi cold, so if you drove it, the psi will be higher. probably by 2-3psi this time of year.

definitely put it on an alignment rack.

this is also one of many reasons why i only buy cars i actually test drove. even if it only had 3miles on the odo from factory testdrive, i still test drive it before making up my mind.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:30 PM
When I bought my 2009 Fit new, my steering wheel was cocked left as well. I took it in and they moved it one cog over and was never a problem again.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kirkuleez
When I bought my 2009 Fit new, my steering wheel was cocked left as well. I took it in and they moved it one cog over and was never a problem again.
not sure how wide the splines are on the fit's steering, but that's an obvious error, no? dealer didnt notice that during delivery?

Old 10-25-2012, 02:43 PM
Yes, definitely an error from the factory. At least it's a simple fix. I would drive a little in every direction first just to rule out whether it's the road or the wind or something first.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kirkuleez
Yes, definitely an error from the factory. At least it's a simple fix. I would drive a little in every direction first just to rule out whether it's the road or the wind or something first.
^^ that's good advise.

OP- just drive the car with the steering wheel cocked pretending it's straight and do this aligment check.

on a predetemined flat road, go straight, turn steering wheel just a little to the left and let go. the car should continue to track left. then center the car again and do the same for right. just turn the wheel a little and let go. the car should continue to track right.

if the car pulls to one side regardless, then you need alignment. if the car does what is should (above) it's very possible the steering wheel was not assembled correctly to the shaft. in that case dealer can remove the steering wheel off the column, turn it one spline, and re-assemble. it's not had to do if you know how to swap a steering wheel, but since it's new, take it in.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
^^ that's good advise.

OP- just drive the car with the steering wheel cocked pretending it's straight and do this aligment check.

on a predetemined flat road, go straight, turn steering wheel just a little to the left and let go. the car should continue to track left. then center the car again and do the same for right. just turn the wheel a little and let go. the car should continue to track right.

if the car pulls to one side regardless, then you need alignment. if the car does what is should (above) it's very possible the steering wheel was not assembled correctly to the shaft. in that case dealer can remove the steering wheel off the column, turn it one spline, and re-assemble. it's not had to do if you know how to swap a steering wheel, but since it's new, take it in.
I tested over 20km of driving and tried different roads. If I'm going 60km\h and put the steering dead center. About 5 sec I would have went completely to the lane left of me
I hope it's the spline and not alignment.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
ive not modded the GE's steering but when i did the GD the splines were very obvious if i had it on wrong or not. this has been the case on other cars where i changed to aftermarket steering wheel as well. (so my surprise that no one noticed this on kurk's car before delivery).

if your spline was off, it would take less than 1sec to be in the next lane at 60km/h. so it sounds like your toe is off. it's not a big deal if it is just the alignment. the car's only adjustable on the front toe anyway.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member
My 2009 Fit did this when I bought it new -- took it to the dealer (a different one than I bought it from actually that was closer to me), told them it was pulling to one side (I think it was pulling to the left actually), and they took care of it by doing an alignment (well, they checked tires and such first and narrowed it down to the alignment).

It shouldn't be a big deal at all...

Old 10-25-2012, 10:51 PM
5 Year Member
Took it to dealership and they took it in for alignment. Readout showed toes were off and the thrust angle was off too. Adjusted and now 0 degree toe =)
Steering wheel is just a tad off center but good enough.

They also order new wheel cover because one of ours has a gash down to the white plastic. I don't know how these got through pdi or maybe they were hoping we don't notice.

Thanks for all of your comments.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member
cool and congrats to your grandpa.