2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fit 2013 tpms

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 10:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ds61761
I would posit that I am drastically *increasing* the safety of the car by running snow tires in the winter. The benefits of snow tires are well documented.

During the winter I can check my own tire pressure to make sure it is maintained at the proper level.

I have no desire to deactivate VSA. I've seen the videos and other data and I am a strong believer in the benefits of VSA. Why is it a problem if I cannot deactivate it? You seem to be contradicting yourself here. First you lecture everybody about not disabling a safety feature (TPMS) and then you say its a problem because another safety feature (VSA) cannot be disabled.

Here's an idea: do the inspection during the summer or some other time when you're not running the winter wheels.

It's just a fact of life that, if I am in an accident, it might be my fault and I might be sued. This is true whether I have working TPMS or not. In my opinion, running snow tires makes it less likely that I will be in an accident in the first place.
1. I never said not to put snow tires on. Obviously they make winter driving safer. I use snow tires in the winter. Not using the TPMS that your car is designed for is the issue.
2. Perhaps you do not understand why the manufacturer gives you the option to disable VSA temporarily. You seem to believe that it is to disable a safety feature, which it is definitely not. One reason is to help if the car is stuck in heavy snow.
3. You should check your tire pressure periodically with or without TPMS. Its purpose is not to take the place of a pressure gauge.
4. My post was was meant for people who thought that the only consequence of not using TPMS was that a light would show on their dash. My intent was to show that there are other unintended consequences that to many are not worth the savings.
5. Yes, being sued is always possible. The consequences of being sued are often more dire when the courts believe that the defendant acted in a negligent way, as in purposely disabling a safety feature on his car.
6. The federal govt. has mandated that all passenger cars built after 2008 must have TPMS. My state will not pass for inspection any car with malfunctioning TPMS, My insurance company told me that I could face legal action if I disable TPMS and there is personal injury or property loss as a result. What are your credentials to advocate that TPMS is not necessary?