2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0420 HONDA - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 12:27 AM
Banned
Hummm can't remember offhand but there are posts on here for using one. Try going to google and putting in spark plug adapter and the + sign and add fitfreak.net at the end so it will search this site.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:52 AM
Alright man!!!!!!!

Old 10-16-2013, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by loudbang
AH NO WAY...... this is incorrect where did you come up with this?
Experience. It doesn't take much to burn up a cat. I've seen anywhere from water down fuel burn up cats, to octane boosters, leaking injectors... The liquid in the cat and high temps will destroy the cat.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by loudbang
Yes that is it exactly. It needs to move out from the pipe so it samples less of the exhuast flow.

You can either cut out the bung and re-weld it out further OR it is much easier to just use the screw in spark plug adapter.

Search the web for "sparkplug adapter" and you will see it is just a chunk of metal with threads on one end that fit into the pipe and the other end has threads that the sensor screws into so it is moved out.

Don't be put off by the name all it does is move the sensor out more it is made to use on spark plugs but the threads are just right to use for this mod.
The spark plug adapter spacer method is for people who removed the precats, it's got nothing to do with his mods. He said stainless steel "intake" which has no relation to the cat. Now if he were to install say a T1R cat delete pipe then I understand why he has a P0420 code because it doesn't detect a cat. The spacer simply moves the secondary oxygen sensor out of the main stream to trick it to seeing less exhaust emissions. Seeing that he has nothing really cat related mods this would not explain that code unless cat honey comb is done.

Also he mentioned 95 Ron which is equal to our 91 gas. Reason why is usa gas is R+M /2 which is Ron + Mon octane avg by division of 2.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by De36
Experience. It doesn't take much to burn up a cat. I've seen anywhere from water down fuel burn up cats, to octane boosters, leaking injectors... The liquid in the cat and high temps will destroy the cat.
That all depends on the make up of the cat. Some cars use the more expensive platinum catalyst and some cheaper cars use the ceramic brick type. Most American made cars use the ceramic brick type while majority of Japan built cars use metallic bricks that is platinum coated. Not all cats are equal, our cars might be the cheaper ceramic based on price point of our cheap cars even though its mostly made in Japan.

Old 10-16-2013, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by inspire007
Hi De36. it's around 60k miles since i got it. now is 78k miles....... but funny thing is i was using hurricane stainless steel air filter, after that i changed to paper filter. It really last longer for my check light to on. Anyway i only change buddyclub throttle body and a muffler. Now i just wondering for my GE model. A p0420 code is the cat on the front engine or below of the car.... if 2 change it will cost me a bomb!!!! hahaha
Code P0420 is the cat closest to the engine, otherwise known as a precat.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:24 PM
Just a couple things.
I'm pretty sure all catalytic converters have platinum. Some oldies had ceramic BBs, some have a ceramic honey comb and some have ceramic coated steel mesh. I think the platinum is bonded to or mixed in the ceramic matrix, whatever shape it is.

Fooling the downstream O2 sensor is done with spark plug defoulers.
Back in the day, spark plugs would oil foul, especially in small engines. Rather then do a valve job etc. you could buy bushings that the spark plug would screw into and then it, with spark plug, would screw into the head. There was a small hole in the tip of the defouler to let the air/fuel near the arc of the plug but not oil mist.
You buy a set (2) and drill one out so that the bulb of the O2 sensor will fit inside. You then screw the O2 sensor and the defoulers together and thread the whole thing into the bung hole behind the cat. The little hole doesn't allow enough of the exhaust stream past the O2 sensor for ions to pass through the platinum/palladium tip into the sensor wire. No rich/lean swing = cat ok.

High octane fuel isn't going to fizzle out in a low compression engine. "Octane" is used to rate a fuels resistance to pre-ignition. The actual burn is no different for 89 or 98 octane.
Anyway, These little L series engines have 10:1 compression or more, don't they?

Last thing. If OP is talking about one of those air filters that you spray silicon oil all over, that definitely can deactivate O2 sensors and catalysts.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:39 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by De36

AH dude the subject of that post was higher octane not being good for an engine not burning up cats. And more BS about "needing" higher compression. And both are simply NOT TRUE.

and a ps for you the Singapore equivalent of 95 octane is the USA 93 so there is nothing to worry about.

Old 10-17-2013, 01:42 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Mini_Odyssey
The spark plug adapter spacer method is for people who removed the precats, it's got nothing to do with his mods. He said stainless steel "intake" which has no relation to the cat. Now if he were to install say a T1R cat delete pipe then I understand why he has a P0420 code because it doesn't detect a cat. The spacer simply moves the secondary oxygen sensor out of the main stream to trick it to seeing less exhaust emissions. Seeing that he has nothing really cat related mods this would not explain that code unless cat honey comb is done.

Also he mentioned 95 Ron which is equal to our 91 gas. Reason why is usa gas is R+M /2 which is Ron + Mon octane avg by division of 2.
Anyway i only change buddyclub throttle body and a muffler

Those mods in conjunction with each other HAVE caused MILs in other members cars.