2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY: Big Brake Kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 12:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by De36
Thanks.

Fit = 10" front rotor
RSX = 10.3" front rotor
Integra Type-R = 11" front rotor
S2000 = 11.8" front rotor
RSX-S = 11.8" front rotor

I would be concerned that the brake bias would be pushing the limits with a larger set up. The 11.8"+ would be great if the rear drums were replaced with a rear disc conversion. The S2000's have 11" rear rotors to compensate for bias.

If the bias was too far forward; the car would under-steer into heavy braking turns, and you would loose trail braking.

I would be interested in a link for a rear conversion kit if anyone knows of one. The T1R seems to be GD exclusive?!? Anyone know?
Makes sense on a track/driven hard car. I just need to fill the wheel better

I'm excited someone has put this info out there. This should, should, work on a GD also caliper wise.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:12 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks.

I would be interested in a link for a rear conversion kit if anyone knows of one. The T1R seems to be GD exclusive?!? Anyone know?
One poster here had a succesful rear conversion with custom made bracket and use rear Honda Civic Si and Caliper,
here are his thread:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...prototype.html

Fastbrakes have a rear conversion kit for GE:
2007-2011 Honda Fit rear drum to 11" disc conversion

I ask T1R before, and T1R say they no longer make the rear disk kit conversion.

Another way is to do Full JDM RS Rear Axle Disk Brake conversion like what I currently did (and I don't know when I can finish hahaha )
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...onversion.html

I will put 12in rear disk brake on my car (already have the wilwood hat and the custom made 12in rear disk),
the only problem is I need to save money so I can buy much bigger brake upfront (Brembo 14in with 6 piston caliper), to balance the rear 12in...
yeah, ... as usual, money is the problem hahaha

Old 08-06-2013, 01:20 AM
5 Year Member
oh by the way,
I am pretty sure a 11in rotor would fit on a 15in wheel,
because just yesterday I was searching
whether a 12in rotor would fit on a 15in wheel (since our spare is 15in right?)...
an some 15in wheel can even fit 12.19in rotor (although not all of them),...
so I think 11in would safely fit...
the only other things that you might want to check is the offset,
cause the caliper might hit the spokes of the rim...
this I don't know..., but you can always use 3mm spacer...

Old 08-06-2013, 09:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BMW ALPINA
One poster here had a succesful rear conversion with custom made bracket and use rear Honda Civic Si and Caliper,
here are his thread:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...prototype.html

Fastbrakes have a rear conversion kit for GE:
2007-2011 Honda Fit rear drum to 11" disc conversion

I ask T1R before, and T1R say they no longer make the rear disk kit conversion.

Another way is to do Full JDM RS Rear Axle Disk Brake conversion like what I currently did (and I don't know when I can finish hahaha )
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...onversion.html

I will put 12in rear disk brake on my car (already have the wilwood hat and the custom made 12in rear disk),
the only problem is I need to save money so I can buy much bigger brake upfront (Brembo 14in with 6 piston caliper), to balance the rear 12in...
yeah, ... as usual, money is the problem hahaha

But I seriously doubt the fastbrakes kit would work on a GE since the hubs are welded on, were as on a GD they're bolted...

Nice DIY OP... +reps

Old 08-06-2013, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitStir

But I seriously doubt the fastbrakes kit would work on a GE since the hubs are welded on, were as on a GD they're bolted...
Nice DIY OP... +reps
Hi FitStir,
I think the Fastbrake kit would work because
the hubs had nothing to do with the rear brake kit,
because they do not replace/remove the hubs. (even in GD fastbrake and T1R kit)

All those kits do are just take out the entire rear drum brake housing,
which were bolted to the hubs on both GE and GD.
then use that bolt to mount the new bracket to mount the caliper.
just like what the other poster here at fitfreak do with his custom made bracket.

the welded hubs on GE do prevent us from adjusting the camber using shim method, but it had nothing to do in relation to this brake disk kit conversion.

having said that, I think there is possibility for GD owner to change their drum brake to disk brake using original hub from GD that came with disk brake without having to change the entire rear axle like what GE owner had to do if they want to keep all part OEM Honda.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member

having said that, I think there is possibility for GD owner to change their drum brake to disk brake using original hub from GD that came with disk brake without having to change the entire rear axle like what GE owner had to do if they want to keep all part OEM Honda.
Yeah that's true, the GD owners didn't have to change the whole rear axle like the GE owners have to. The fast brakes kit is very similar to the T1R kit that was offered to GD owners.

but I still have my doubts on it working on a GE... I'd rather do it official, the way you're doing it with the full JDM rear conversion.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitStir
Yeah that's true, the GD owners didn't have to change the whole rear axle like the GE owners have to. The fast brakes kit is very similar to the T1R kit that was offered to GD owners.
but I still have my doubts on it working on a GE... I'd rather do it official, the way you're doing it with the full JDM rear conversion.
Hi FitStir,

here is an article about a Fastbrake kit for Civic Rear Disk conversion,
which should be similar to Honda Fit GE (or GD conversion),
and it clearly show how they utilize the original hub that came with the drum brake for this conversion. (plenty of pictures).
I specifically link to the page 2 of this article since it contain the most relevant picture of the bracket on the original hub :
Fast Brakes Rear Disc Brake Conversion Kit

well, actually, I am just going to link the picture here too

Old 08-06-2013, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

^^^Good info!

Old 08-06-2013, 01:33 PM
the only other things that you might want to check is the offset,
cause the caliper might hit the spokes of the rim...
this I don't know..., but you can always use 3mm spacer...
This is what i'm concerned about, I don't want to use a spacer at all since when i'm lazy I always get tire rotations balances and repairs at Americas Tire and they get wary of working with spacers. Some of their shops won't even service cars with spacers. I can tell the stock caliper is pretty close to the steel wheel as is...

Old 08-06-2013, 01:57 PM
MPA
Type-R Calipers: $70/pair
Stop Tech Rotors: $155/pair shipped
Hawk HPS Pads: $66 shipped

Total = $291.00 USD
That's not bad at all. I assume the Type R calipers bolt to the Fit's stock caliper bracket?

Very looking forward to hearing your impressions with the better pads. And thanks for checking to see if this will fit behind the stock steelies +rep to you.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:33 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry I haven't been on top of this thread. I found out; I'm getting laid off, I'm working off my my engineering degree and the company I work for no longer wants to support my schooling.

But on a lighter note I have installed the final set up I edited the original post with a pic, so you know I didn't forget about you guys. It's been rain here in CT, but I will test fit the 15" steelie wheel, and do a write-up after I have been on the new set up for a week or so.

Cheers, feel free to ask any questions.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MPA
That's not bad at all. I assume the Type R calipers bolt to the Fit's stock caliper bracket?

Very looking forward to hearing your impressions with the better pads. And thanks for checking to see if this will fit behind the stock steelies +rep to you.
Yes, the caliper bracket is the same set up as the steering knuckle.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:12 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry I haven't been on top of this thread. I found out; I'm getting laid off, I'm working off my my engineering degree and the company I work for no longer wants to support my schooling.
But on a lighter note I have installed the final set up I edited the original post with a pic, so you know I didn't forget about you guys. It's been rain here in CT, but I will test fit the 15" steelie wheel, and do a write-up after I have been on the new set up for a week or so.
Cheers, feel free to ask any questions.
Hi De36,
I sincerely hope you will find another job very soon !
as a fellow engineer, I really understand and can relate to how you feel.
Don't worry, things will get better.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:40 PM
Ever get around to testing those steelies?

I want to get excited and start buying parts lol

Old 08-15-2013, 03:24 AM
5 Year Member
Hi FitStir,
I think the Fastbrake kit would work because
the hubs had nothing to do with the rear brake kit,
because they do not replace/remove the hubs. (even in GD fastbrake and T1R kit)

All those kits do are just take out the entire rear drum brake housing,
which were bolted to the hubs on both GE and GD.
then use that bolt to mount the new bracket to mount the caliper.
just like what the other poster here at fitfreak do with his custom made bracket.

the welded hubs on GE do prevent us from adjusting the camber using shim method, but it had nothing to do in relation to this brake disk kit conversion.

I will have to disagree to the T1R conversion kit. Not that it is available now, but I bought that conversion a long time ago. The conversion for the GD was a whole different spindle with a caliper bracket on it. Basically a 95 Civic Del Sol rear spindle bracket for example.

Now the add-on bracket should work if there are bolt holes, assuming its from taking off the drums on the GE. If it was the same deal on the GD, Longer bolts would be needed.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:43 AM
5 Year Member
I've already done this back in July of 2009...
Here is a lot of good information...
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...tallation.html
The Mini discs are too small. These need 282... and they do fit under a 15" wheel.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BlueCell
I will have to disagree to the T1R conversion kit. Not that it is available now, but I bought that conversion a long time ago. The conversion for the GD was a whole different spindle with a caliper bracket on it. Basically a 95 Civic Del Sol rear spindle bracket for example.

Now the add-on bracket should work if there are bolt holes, assuming its from taking off the drums on the GE. If it was the same deal on the GD, Longer bolts would be needed.
ah, on the T1R kit You are RIGHT !
I am wrong, sorry my mistake...
I do remember that T1R kit came with a blue hubcentric ring spacer,
so that is why I thought it used the same spindle...
I just re read the thread about a DIY for older generation Fit (GD) with T1R kit here
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...n-package.html

to refresh my memory.

Thanks for the correction

Old 09-02-2013, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Ever get around to testing those steelies?

I want to get excited and start buying parts lol
I still haven't tested the steelies, I apologize. My personal life is a little hectic right now. Jodele did a similar conversion on his GD and said they fit. I will still confirm this for you.

Last edited by De36; 09-02-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jodele

The Mini discs are too small. These need 282... and they do fit under a 15" wheel.
Very nice!

I have had the 280mm rotor set up for over 2k miles now and removed the pad. They are wearing evenly. If you are afraid of the pad sticking out over the rotor 2 mm, you can see from my pics that they don't. Still, if this was a concern the simple fix is to shave 2mm off the top of the pad.

You have a very nice set up, I'm jealous of the two piece rotors.

The point of mine was to do it less expensive. $225 for the rotors is a lot. My whole set up was only $290.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:30 PM
5 Year Member
I also edited the original post with a review and problems I ran into:

"Review:

I have had the setup on the car for over 2k miles now. The car has a lot more bit and is very responsive under braking. Upgrading to a wider tire is a must from the 195, the tires can't keep up with the brakes.

Problems:

First, Remember these calipers are REBUILTS!!!! That means they were replace because they had issues and were rebuilt. The left caliper I bought slides fine in my hand, but when it's on the car under heavy pressure it binds. At first I thought this was air in the system, but when I was on the high way and I was on the brakes; it pulled right. This indicates that "only the front right side caliper was working". Car Quest warrantied it, no hassle.

Second, I got air all the way into the master and it took a long time to get it out. The best advice I can give is bleed it manually with someone who has bled brakes before. The wives/ girlfriends can cause a lot of painful grief if you end up getting air all the way back in the master."

Quick Reply: DIY: Big Brake Kit