2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

V6 Honda Fit Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 04:42 PM
Here is the progress so far.

Got the new bumper cover, seems like a good fit so far. Doesn't have that blue tint that lots of these bumpers have, which is nice.

This is the new driver side mount, it's not pretty but it is functional. Will be adding some more structure to keep it rigid later on.

Finally able to lift up the beast!

Cut a little off the subframe to clear the trans, migd and sanded smooth it looks almost factory.

The start of the rear mount, added a ton of strength to the engine mount system.

You fit owners will notice that I removed the factory rear mount and welded a 1/4" plate over where it mounted. That was about a 2 hour job, but the new system was totally worth all that extra work. Lots of exhaust room on both sides of this piece.

Got a factory replacement set of headlights, went with the base versions, not really into shiny stuff.

Should have tons of room still in the bay.

This is where I am now stuck. We have used quite a few Tong Yang hoods, they all fit pretty alright, never perfect, but close enough.

This one is having a bunch of trouble though, the rear is 1/2" too low and about 1/4" too far back. I moved the hinges as far forward as they can go.

I'm wondering if the hinges got bent in the accident, but they seem to be okay, no cracking paint or anything. Probably end up spacing them up and boring out the mount holes a bit to get it aligned. Can't build the front bumper until the hood and headlights get lined up.

Other than that I got the AC condenser and radiator ordered.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:13 PM
very nice!

Old 03-14-2015, 06:00 PM
This, is fucking sweet! Ever plan on doing this to a GD? Nice work man

Old 03-14-2015, 06:35 PM
WOW! Amazing work! This Fit is gonna have balls like a brass monkey with a 6 banger. Hope it handles as well as stock!

Old 03-14-2015, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
Crazy, just crazy. I never thought about a 6 in the Fit, good luck with the build!

Old 03-14-2015, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
Wow, Amazing Build !
I will follow your thread until your build is completed,
I am sure there will be plenty of lesson to be learned from this Amazing Build !
Thanks

Old 03-14-2015, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member
This is where the Barbara Streisand USDM Fit shines. Those extra inches up front sure help. Looks like tons of space available. Really looking forward to the end result. Not into straight line really, interested how this thing goes left and right. Will this strictly be a one-off or plans to later offer a kit? As you said, much cheaper getting the 6 versus a K.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:05 AM
Originally Posted by jgpoirier
This, is fucking sweet! Ever plan on doing this to a GD? Nice work man
My original plan was to do an older chassis like that, but this one showed up first and I like the headlights more on these. Sort of a mean adorable look to this car that I love.

Originally Posted by 555sexydrive
Will this strictly be a one-off or plans to later offer a kit? As you said, much cheaper getting the 6 versus a K.
So far I only plan on doing a one off. Haven't seen a ton of k series fits yet, as the car gets older that might change though. One of the weird parts about making a kit would be the rear mount, the J mount for the rear is so much higher than the stock engine that it might be a trick to get the kit to work universally.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:23 PM
Great news! After hours of fighting with some weird key problem the ignition now works.

Turns out part of the key was incorrectly cut, we found that out after completely removing the ignition and filing town one of the tumbler pins. Weird problem, glad that part is finally sorted out!

Old 03-16-2015, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
Was reading up a little about the 001–2003 Acura 3.2 CL Type S that this engine came out of. Will you consider something ridiculous like adding that Comptech supercharger to it that was introduced in 2003? Seems it raised the output to 369 hp (275 kW) @ 6800 rpm, 302 lb·ft (409 N·m) @ 5400 rpm (With Comptech Headers and exhaust of course but you are fabbing your own anyways).

Yes, I know....it's a silly question. Can't hurt to ask! May as well have fun with this thread.

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 03-16-2015 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:55 PM
Banned
Pretty sure this is gonna change the Fit tuning scene for good. Keep up the good work!

Old 03-16-2015, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
Down the strip, it will undoubtedly be a fast monster.

Like others, I'm also interested to see how it corners and handles with the Front/Rear weight distribution tilting even more up front, maybe to 70/30 now?

Upgrading to bigger brakes when all is said and done should be beneficial too.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
Was reading up a little about the 001–2003 Acura 3.2 CL Type S that this engine came out of. Will you consider something ridiculous like adding that Comptech supercharger to it that was introduced in 2003? Seems it raised the output to 369 hp (275 kW) @ 6800 rpm, 302 lb·ft (409 N·m) @ 5400 rpm (With Comptech Headers and exhaust of course but you are fabbing your own anyways).

Yes, I know....it's a silly question. Can't hurt to ask! May as well have fun with this thread.
I'm working on an m90 adapter right now, might just clear the hood. Either that or a Rotex like andy from the J forums did on his TL.

Name:  20140415_070628_zpsuoxhbzko.jpg
Views: 8545
Size:  67.5 KB

Originally Posted by Fitguy07
Down the strip, it will undoubtedly be a fast monster.

Like others, I'm also interested to see how it corners and handles with the Front/Rear weight distribution tilting even more up front, maybe to 70/30 now?

Upgrading to bigger brakes when all is said and done should be beneficial too.
When I pulled off the wheels I was impressed by the size of the rotors on this car. Same size as what we upgrade our civics too. I don't plan to run the car on super sticky tires so this setup with a more aggressive pad should be perfect.

I will also scale the car when I get her finished. My EG is 65/35 without me in it. People get really hung up on getting to 50/50, it depends on the car and driver though. Same way people seem to think that swaybars are ALWAYS faster.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by PinkBatman

Got the new bumper cover, seems like a good fit so far. Doesn't have that blue tint that lots of these bumpers have, which is nice.

This is where I am now stuck. We have used quite a few Tong Yang hoods, they all fit pretty alright, never perfect, but close enough.

This one is having a bunch of trouble though, the rear is 1/2" too low and about 1/4" too far back. I moved the hinges as far forward as they can go.

I'm wondering if the hinges got bent in the accident, but they seem to be okay, no cracking paint or anything. Probably end up spacing them up and boring out the mount holes a bit to get it aligned. Can't build the front bumper until the hood and headlights get lined up.

Hi Pink,
Is the bumper OEM? what it run you for cost.

That hood looks nice but some funky fitment there.
If you want I can grab the stock hood dimensions for you to confirm its the hood or the Chassis/hinges. Let me know if you need specific pics of anything to help with the rebuild.

Last edited by slimchriz; 03-20-2015 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by slimchriz
Hi Pink,
Is the bumper OEM? what it run you for cost.

That hood looks nice but some funky fitment there.
If you want I can grab the stock hood dimensions for you to confirm its the hood or the Chassis/hinges. Let me know if you need specific pics of anything to help with the rebuild.
I think I pretty well got the hood figured out, thanks for the offer though.

The bumper is another Tong Yang part. I got it on eBay shipped for about $120.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
Name:  least_weasel_3.jpg
Views: 8446
Size:  31.5 KB
this is the least weasel
It's the smallest member of the weasel family
has the hardest bite of any mammal (per size)
It's primary prey is twice its size and speed but it outsmarts/maneuvers
I think it's a good animal representation of the fit.

Name:  wolv1.jpg
Views: 8598
Size:  286.7 KB
this is a wolverine
a larger member of the weasel family
Can out posture a grizzly bear
relentless hunter
cross great distances in sort times
If my ge is a least weasel yours would be a wolverine.

Great thread you got me exited enough to order my next upgrade!

Old 03-18-2015, 02:14 AM
5 Year Member
Prompts for the effort but I can't help but think of these:

Old 03-18-2015, 11:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by john21031
Prompts for the effort but I can't help but think of these:
Please remember that many manufacturer do this kind of engine transplant.

The C-Class Mercedes had engine range from tiny 1.8 liter to V8 engine (AMG version),

The 3 series BMW had engine range from tiny 1.6 liter to V8 engine in the previous M3

The Audi A6 had engine range from small 4 cylinder to V10 (the old RS6)
and so does the older 5 series M5 with the V10.

and many more example,

so as long as the suspension, the tire and the brake get upgraded, (especially the front),
I don't see any major problem with this engine transplant on a Honda Fit.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by PinkBatman
Great news! After hours of fighting with some weird key problem the ignition now works.

Turns out part of the key was incorrectly cut, we found that out after completely removing the ignition and filing town one of the tumbler pins. Weird problem, glad that part is finally sorted out!
Are you sure 140mph is going to be enough?

Old 03-20-2015, 01:02 AM
Originally Posted by c3kay
Are you sure 140mph is going to be enough?
I'll let you know when it is finished

Quick Reply: V6 Honda Fit Build