2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Am I being ripped off? Broken Wheel Studs

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 07:40 PM
Question Am I being ripped off? Broken Wheel Studs

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this post. I've searched the forum and found a few threads on the subject but most are fairly old.

I have my 2009 Honda Fit Sport at the dealer for service. While I was rotating my tires yesterday I broke off 3 wheel studs, 2 on the front right wheel and 1 on the front left wheel. The dealer says I need a new hub and bearing on the right wheel and to pull the hub of the left wheel which would destroy that bearing too (the tech claims Honda used sealed bearings on the GE8 Fit). I understand I have to own up to my mistakes (I didn't know to set my torque wrench at zero after each use and suspect I over torqued my lug nuts due to miscalibration) but it seems the price they are quoting (around $1000) is ridiculous. That price is for 2 bearing, 1 hub, 3 studs, and labor.

However, I've talked to a few shops around town and they confirm that the Fit is a huge pain to replace wheel studs on, at least for the front wheels, and that the hubs indeed need to be removed. I am less sure about the bearings. On a previous vehicle I simply repacked the bearing and was good to go. Am I being ripped off here or should I just chalk it up to an idiot tax and move on?

TLDR: I'm an idiot and broke off 3 wheel studs, what's a reasonable price to have them replaced? I can afford to pay their price but would prefer not to (obviously). Thanks again for taking the time to read. I hope to get my Fit to 300K miles and beyond!

Old 10-04-2016, 10:48 PM
5 Year Member
I screwed up the studs on one of my wheels (cross threaded) and my trusted mechanic warned me that he would have to replace the bearing when he replaced the studs. Turned out he did not have to, but it was a very near thing. I can't confirm your price, but the probability of having to replace the bearings is very real.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:08 AM
Originally Posted by Codger01
I screwed up the studs on one of my wheels (cross threaded) and my trusted mechanic warned me that he would have to replace the bearing when he replaced the studs. Turned out he did not have to, but it was a very near thing. I can't confirm your price, but the probability of having to replace the bearings is very real.
Thanks for the feedback. I figured the Honda tech knew what he was talking about. I wonder why Honda decided to make the wheel studs so difficult to replace.