2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing a new car stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
Installing a new car stereo?

Hi. I have a 2010 Honda Fit Sport. I've been thinking about removing the factory stereo and installing a new one. I looked online a bit including searching some on this forum, but I haven't been able to find any really good instructions or advice. Does anyone know of a good video or instruction manual that is available? I'm nervous about trying this install on my own. Any thoughts on how difficult it is? Is it something that a novice can do, or does it require a lot of skill and know-how? Thanks in advance for replies!

Old 03-13-2017, 11:14 PM
I did an after market HU on my 2008 Fit Base. The Stock HU and nob placements are different. Use the crutchfield website to check what aftermarket HU's are available and fits. With those, they will normally include a big'o plastic piece (free with the purchase of the HU with them) that is an adapter/replacement for the stock one, and and pre-cut for any knobs that can not be moved around.
Example~~~
From this: https://cars.usnews.com/static/image..._dashboard.jpg
to this: http://www.cstatic-images.com/stock/900x600/253501.jpg
^Notice that the Passenger airbag light has moved, knobs have not.

Crutchfield will also send car model specific instructions on how to unmount the stock HU, and install the new one. Highly suggested that you use them to buy the aftermarket HU, because they provide the plastic piece, instructions, and the wiring harness needed to make the car work with the aftermarket... ALL free with that HU purchase.

The un/install itself is not that hard. Unscrew some things, and force some plastic tabs out. When I did mine, I got in a hurry and started unscrewing things before they sent the instructions; ended up missing a hidden screw nested inside and couldn't pull anything out because if it. Made some small dents in the plastic edges trying to prey it off.

The most difficult thing for me was the harness wiring, but still once you read the instructions provided by Crutchfield it starts to make since and gets simple. You'll just need splice in the aftermarket wires to the stock wiring harness (or you could cut them if you will never go back to stock).

Also should be noted if you want to retain steering wheel controls, another wiring harness can be purchased$$$ from crutchfield. Should just be more wire splicing back behind the HU.

Last edited by fizzy99; 03-13-2017 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Append
Old 03-13-2017, 11:41 PM
Good example of a stock HU removal on our UK sister for that gen, Jazz.

Old 03-14-2017, 12:33 AM
Super Moderator
I second the Crutchfield recommendation for a first time car stereo install. A long time ago their price was good vs brick and mortar stores, but with the advent of the internet their price is somewhat higher relative to them. However, crutchfield will also include all necessary stuff, like radio harness, dash kit, antenna plug and instructions with their price. It also comes with great tech support. They stayed on the phone with me when I had issues getting the Metra ASWC to work with my car.

I just recently replaced my HU. It took me about 30 minutes to do. But this is like my 5th or 6th radio install. The hardest part of the install really is getting to the screw inside the glove compartment underneath the radio.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:35 AM
5 Year Member
I cast a third vote for Crutchfield and their technical support (if needed). I've bought stuff from them for decades and they've always been great.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:01 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks so much for the replies. I'm going to go with Crutchfield. Need to save up a little money first, but likely going to do it in the next couple of months. Any thoughts on whether it's worth replacing the speakers in the doors, or does it not end up making a lot of difference? I'm not looking for extra loud, just care about sound quality.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:35 PM
That's really up to you. Replacing either will make some difference. AF Headunit isn't going to improve quality per say (or atleast not by alot). AF HU will prob push the stock speakers to their limit because the amp'ing within the AF HU is most likely alot better than the one inside the stock HU. With that said, more power to shi*ty speakers is just going to sound more shi*t. I can't speak for the 2010 fit speakers, but normally they are cheap, and lacking in bass to prevent people from blowing them out.

Think of it as, you are upgrading the headunit for more functionality/features (and a nice touchscreen like the big boys in most cases).
And you upgrade the speakers for the quality of that sound.
Together you will have a overall better experience.
And those who itch for more power n bass, add external amps and digital sound processors.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks fizzy99. That makes sense. One reason I'm looking to upgrade HU is to get a built in equalizer. I had one on a previous car and loved it, especially when listening to voice podcasts - there was a preset for vocal that made the podcast voices clearer and easier to hear over any road noise. I love the Fit, although do wish the road noise was a bit less.

I think I'll go with getting speakers as well as HU based on your thoughts. My biggest concern is my lack of experience (as in zero) in installing HU and speakers. Hopefully with the video you provided, as well as the instructions/support from Crutchfield, I can do it. I guess if worst came to worst, I could try and then pay someone to help if it doesn't work. I checked and installs can be pretty pricey.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:21 AM
5 Year Member
Here's what I recommend from experience. I got my 2012 Fit last year because the new cars just didn't impress me with any wow factor. I already had a 2012 Fit for my stepson and suddenly realized that I always liked that car. I had replaced his radio once (I kind of like the simple tinkering factor) and had a pioneer available that was relatively new from the car I was replacing.

So to get bluetooth in the 2012 Fit, I replaced the headunit with a Pioneer DEH-X8700BH. Warning, most aftermarket head units have LOUSY screen's. They wash out dramatically in sunlight and the Fit mounting tilts the unit back just a bit which means you're looking from below the centerline to the LCD screen which makes it darker still. the DEH-X8700BH isn't too bad, but a different one in my other Fit is impossible to see in daylight - but sounds great.

So once I replaced the head unit, I thought about speakers. Low door placement is a lousy place for speakers (I have the BASE model without the dash tweeters), but that is what we have to work with. My feeling was that sound was missing from the back of the car. I'd never added a subwoofer before, so since I was upgrading the center armrest and had to remove the center console, I got this to try - Kenwood KSC-SW11. It's self amplified and doesn't need the big wire through the firewall (beyond my tinkering skills) to power it. I just put it on the floor (loose) in the hatch area and routed the wire up under the rear floor mats and center console which I removed to upgrade the armrest. The power wire got tapped into the fuse block and the subwoofer wire attached to the Pioneer head unit.

Now, in my humble opinion, this made the most dramatic improvement in sound that I've ever heard. First, it added missing bass. Not crazy base, but solid bass. And, suddenly, I had sound coming from the back which is what was hugely missing before. I had what sounds to my ears like a nice 3D sound stage. I can't encourage you enough to add a subwoofer. My first time doing so and my jaw dropped with the results.

Then, because I can't stop, I upgraded all 4 door speakers. Compared to the subwoofer, they only made a minor improvement, Which is funny, because the stock speakers look like complete junk. It was a bit of a pain to do, and looking back, I wouldn't bother if I was doing it all over.

So to summarize- replace the headunit to get bluetooth streaming and a subwoofer output, and then add a simple powered subwoofer that doesn't require tapping into the battery through the firewall. Don't put it under the seat, put it in the hatch area and crank it up! The Kenwood is solid and its case allows you to just stack things on it if you go shopping. It adds what is missing to create a very nice soundstage.

Last edited by Rigaudon; 03-18-2017 at 09:24 AM.