2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Head lights (plastic Cataract Syndrome)

Old 12-18-2018, 12:07 AM
Head lights (plastic Cataract Syndrome)

Yeah,

So these freakin headlights these days!

They start going Opaque..... can't see with them........ yo know......

The Fit's headlights are not super bad yet.... but, they are getting slightly white........ instead of crystal clear.....

It seems like it is on the inside of the lens..... Be good if I could take it apart.....

SOOO anyone know what to do in the case of Cataract Head lights?????

Thanks, J

Old 12-18-2018, 07:16 AM
5 Year Member
I'd try to use one of the several lens (outside surface) polishing kits on the market first. That's a whole different breed of cat if the fogging / degradation is really on the inside. I've read about guys baking the headlight capsule in the oven and then prying it apart, so they could paint the non-bulb reflector surfaces black (style change to that of the '13 units that don't fit the earlier Gen 2 units).

Old 12-18-2018, 10:46 PM
Yeah, It really looks like it is on the inside.

I more or less cleaned up the outside..

I have to buff the car paint out... Give it a nice shine.......

It probably wouldn't hurt to hit the lenses with the buffer. What do you think?

I never was much a very good Baker. Don't know if I would have the Knack to Cook headlight capsules...

How was the look? with the non-bulb reflector area being black?

Old 12-19-2018, 06:32 AM
5 Year Member
I have no special knowledge on the differences and effects of using paint polish and a buffing machine on poly-carbonate headlights versus a headlight specific set of compounds / process.

I didn't bake any headlights. I read about the process on the forum. You can search for it to read how it was done and see the pics of the end results. The later model yrs of the Gen 2 FITs had the blacked out areas inside the headlights. Due to front bumper changes in those later years, the blacked out headlight capsules from 2013 are not interchangeable with a 2008, for example, although all are considered Gen 2 models.

Old 12-22-2018, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member

As you can see, the blackout headlight has a certain appeal.

Please note how the corner of the headlight capsules intersect with the grill / fascia in different versions of these USA Gen 2 FITs.

Old 12-25-2018, 10:30 AM
Thanks!

If you didn't say that! I wouldn't have noticed the difference.... ANd even stilll took a couple of seconds.....

AND they are both GEN-2's (Dark blue being the new version?)

BTW:::::: Very nice and clear headlights..... Yeah, I am pretty sure mine are foggy some on the inside......

Old 12-25-2018, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member
Blue one is the later model in the Gen 2 series.

When new, I put Headlight Armor film on my lenses (silver car). They seem to be staying clear. Car sits outside since early 2011.

Old 12-25-2018, 08:11 PM
Headlight Armor Film?

If you could fill me in on that stuff......

Basic info
and how it is applied.....
thanks!

Old 12-25-2018, 08:20 PM
5 Year Member
You can Goggle it. It's pre-cut for the particular vehicle. Comes as clear, yellow, or smoke. They may also have material for tail lights and fog lights. There are other options out there.

Old 12-25-2018, 08:27 PM
Ok, Thanks for the Headzup........

Old 12-29-2018, 05:44 AM
I tried polishing my headlights too and found out the problem is inside. It's not that bad anyways and i just bought a film to at least hide the ugly fogged up plastic lens.
Headlight set is too expensive for an old car, i'll drive this til I cant see anymore and just buy a new car!

Old 12-29-2018, 07:36 PM
NIce!...........

Yeah, I was driving a car with over 300k on it today..... I saw something that will more than likely contribute to it's demise.....

And said, to myself....... "I guess this is the last set of tires I will put on this car..."

Yeah, Mine is definetly on the inside as well.... Buffing them helped some.... but, it is definetly on the inside.... (weird)

Old 12-08-2019, 11:48 AM
How to clear fog inside the headlights?

Originally Posted by justus
Yeah,

So these freakin headlights these days!

They start going Opaque..... can't see with them........ yo know......

The Fit's headlights are not super bad yet.... but, they are getting slightly white........ instead of crystal clear.....

It seems like it is on the inside of the lens..... Be good if I could take it apart.....

SOOO anyone know what to do in the case of Cataract Head lights?????

Thanks, J
I am having this issue as well. I used the Meguiars restoration kit yesterday, which worked well on my partner's car but my Fit's headlights still look foggy on the inside. Does anyone know of a way to take the headlight cover off to at least wipe it out?

Old 12-08-2019, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Nancy Young
I am having this issue as well. I used the Meguiars restoration kit yesterday, which worked well on my partner's car but my Fit's headlights still look foggy on the inside. Does anyone know of a way to take the headlight cover off to at least wipe it out?
Only way to remove the cover without destroying it is baking the headlight in an oven to soften the plastic and peeling the lense away from the base. Removing the headlight to do this required dropping the front bumper, and if you're at that point you might as well just put new ones in, found here.

Old 12-08-2019, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member
So first of all the uv damage to the outside can be polished off. But you need to recoat with UV protectant otherwise it will come back soon.

usually interior fogging is MOISTURE. The only hole designed into the assembly is where the bulb goes. You can remove the bulb, place the car in sunlight on a dry day, and blow it out a few times with compressed air. If the problem built up slowly over time this will bring the moisture level back down; but if you have a active leak then the moisture will soon be back.

Old 12-08-2019, 07:06 PM
5 Year Member
The DRL is the culprit in turning the interior lens opaque. Mine started exactly right above the the DRL bulb. The heat from the bulb is the cause. To prevent further damage, I remove the fuse.

Old 12-08-2019, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kimi808
The DRL is the culprit in turning the interior lens opaque. Mine started exactly right above the the DRL bulb. The heat from the bulb is the cause. To prevent further damage, I remove the fuse.
Amen. Fuse #15 I believe. Took mine out a day or two after buying it.

Old 12-09-2019, 07:51 AM
5 Year Member
I'm confused. On my '11 Sport AT, the DRL function is achieved by running the main hi/lo bulb's hi beam filament at a lower voltage, so dimmer. Dimmer means less heat / destructive forces, so how would the DRL do all of this damage and warrant disabling this safety feature.

I love car / truck drivers that have DRL and that turn their headlights on full in fog / rain / dusk when I'm riding motorcycle. When looking through a wet face shield with only seconds to make critical decisions, I like instantly / clearly seeing where all moving vehicle are relative to me. If up to me, everyone would have DRL. From the factory, my motorcycles lights (front / back) are always on while running. In several cases, I've added more lights.

Old 12-09-2019, 12:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by spike55_bmw
I'm confused. On my '11 Sport AT, the DRL function is achieved by running the main hi/lo bulb's hi beam filament at a lower voltage, so dimmer. Dimmer means less heat / destructive forces, so how would the DRL do all of this damage and warrant disabling this safety feature.

I love car / truck drivers that have DRL and that turn their headlights on full in fog / rain / dusk when I'm riding motorcycle. When looking through a wet face shield with only seconds to make critical decisions, I like instantly / clearly seeing where all moving vehicle are relative to me. If up to me, everyone would have DRL. From the factory, my motorcycles lights (front / back) are always on while running. In several cases, I've added more lights.
My take is I can make the decision if I need lights. If it's bright sunshine, broad daylight it's not needed. Any sort of other weather, dusk, Dawn, fog, ect they're on.

Old 01-05-2020, 12:45 AM
Originally Posted by spike55_bmw

Lol if that's how you feel then great, you dont have to pull your fuse.
As for me, I'll pull mine. I absolutely hate the DRL feature on cars, makes it too easy to think your headlights are on. I've seen and known many people who have been pulled over by the police for driving near dusk with the only the DRL on thinking their headlights were on.