2nd Generation GE8 Specific Wheel & Tire Sub-Forum This sub-forum is for all wheel & tire threads pertaining to the second generation Honda Fit (GE8)

09 aftermarket wheels CAUTION

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 08:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BakedCookies
Thanks! I guarantee there will be no fitment issues, and expect to see some nice flush setups. Hell i ran 17x8 +33 with a 245 on my wrx with nothing but rolled fenders and max stock camber, just perfect stance with a slight bit of poke. You guys crying about stuff not fitting need to man up!

Once you said rolling the fender lip you left the rack.
Most of us know that the resale value on your car plummets when the wheel arches are 'modified'. On hipo cars and Hondas its the first thing appraisers look for. In many cases now the appraiser will refuse to take the car in trade, meaning you are at the mercy of 'wholesalers'.

On the wrx's here 245/45x17's and 245/40x18's on 38 mm offsets as I remember, worked fine too. Try putting your wrx tires on a Fit. As any installer will tell you fitting maximum tires on any car is an effort.

Last edited by mahout; 09-10-2008 at 09:02 AM.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:09 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitlurker
I was looking at the Kasei Racer 17x7 4x100 Offset +48. Was hoping 195/45 R17 would fit.
I suppose 4x114.3 bolt pattern will not fit on the Fit. Otherwise there are quite a few 16x7 with +45 Offsets. Still not sure that is high enough.

Going over the Owner's Manual and the 15" stock wheels are 15x5.5 and the 16" wheels are 16x6. FYI.
Correct, the 114.3 BC is way too large.
The 195/45x17's on 48 mm offset 17x7 wheels is close but has a chance of working. The onky thing worrying is the diameter is very close to stock and that puts the tire edge very close to the fender lip. Wanna consider 205/40x17's?

Last edited by mahout; 09-14-2008 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:30 AM
Perfect example of 09 Failage

Old 09-10-2008, 09:39 AM
another noob question but how is bolt pattern determined?

Old 09-10-2008, 09:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
Once you said rolling the fender lip you left the rack.
Most of us know that the resale value on your car plummets when the wheel arches are 'modified'. On hipo cars and Hondas its the first thing appraisers look for. In many cases now the appraiser will refuse to take the car in trade, meaning you are at the mercy of 'wholesalers'.

On the wrx's here 245/45x17's and 245/40x18's on 38 mm offsets as I remember, worked fine too. Try putting your wrx tires on a Fit. As any installer will tell you fitting maximum tires on any car is an effort.
Bottom line is I don't trade cars and therefore could care less about resale to a dealer or wholesaler. I have sold every modified car I have owned private party to another enthusiast, who chose my car for the mods I had done. Yes the Fit is a change for me but is not my first Honda (95 civic, 00 civic hatch).

I'm not trying to start some huge pointless argument/discussion with you. I'm just simply stating the fact that its obvious you "err on the side of caution". And people who modify cars to get the maximum handling/grip/etc need to ignore this thread and go for it.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by na'd
another noob question but how is bolt pattern determined?
Na'd, try this link. Very useful info on wheels and tires.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:28 AM
Thumbs up

Na'd, try this link. Very useful info on wheels and tires.
thanks for the link i understand it better now.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by mahout
The 195/45x17's on 48 mm offset 17x7 wheels is close but has a chance of working. The onky thing worrying is the diameter is very close to stock and that puts the tire edge very close to the fender lip. Wanna consider 205/40x17's?
Yes, if 205/40x17's will fit nicely without rubbing then that is the size i will go with.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:49 AM
You supreme modders need to relax. Mahout is doing a favor for those of us who like a larger wheel without modding the entire car. All he is doing is pointing out the possible problems which may arise due to the high offset.

If you prefer 18" or 20" wheels go for it. But i just like to know what other 16" and 17" wheels will work well on the '09 as well as tires that will not cause any problems. And i think he is doing a heck of a job.

Keep it up Mahout!
+1

Old 09-10-2008, 11:15 AM
Cool

You supreme modders need to relax. Mahout is doing a favor for those of us who like a larger wheel without modding the entire car. All he is doing is pointing out the possible problems which may arise due to the high offset.

If you prefer 18" or 20" wheels go for it. But i just like to know what other 16" and 17" wheels will work well on the '09 as well as tires that will not cause any problems. And i think he is doing a heck of a job.

Keep it up Mahout!
+1
couldnt of said it better myself. reps to both mahout and fitlurker for the infomation sharing.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member

Keep it up Mahout!
+1
I never said anything about 18"s or 20"s

I want to run the lowest offset possible 16" wheel with the widest tire I can. To further increase the cars track and grip.

Anyways. I'm not knocking the OP, just don't want people who are less knowledgeable to become discouraged by this thread.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:16 PM
My two cents:

If I had access to a shop with tons of wheels and tires to try different fitments, I wouldn't even bother consulting a thread like this.

I would prefer to order something from Tire Rack (wheels, tires mounted, with TPMS, as well) as they guarantee the fitments they sell you, even if occasionally they're a bit goofy with me on tire sizes.

The main point here is that most of us will be ordering our wheels and tires from shops far from where we live, and it would be a nightmare to have them delivered only to find out they don't fit. It would kill the excitement, and chances are no shop would take them back. And even if they did, you'd be out the shipping, which would be $100+ and a potential re-stocking fee.

Bottom line is that some of us really want to be safe and be sure whatever we do will fit.

I have wondered if Tire Rack would sell a person a complete package for a car they've not yet tested fitments on (like the 09 Fit). I noticed they no longer have rim specifications and appear to do this to push you to buy a guaranteed fit package. The only time I deviated from their recommendation was when I bought 235 section tires for my Audi S4 and they recommended a 225 and the receipt had a disclaimer saying I was warned. (I had already rolled the front fenders on my Audi, so it fit fine.)

Old 09-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Mahout: "Yes, I really like the 16x7/50's; who has them?"

I found the Work wheels at Vividracing.com. The SSR wheel specs were pulled from their home page. I have no idea if Tire Rack even sells the full range of sizes of SSR wheels, or just popular sizes. As my post above points out, Tire Rack doesn't even show you rim specs, which would force a person to phone the order in and tell them specifically what you'd like to buy based on what you've determined will fit.

I'm sure they'd lecture you about it, too.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by BakedCookies
I never said anything about 18"s or 20"s

I want to run the lowest offset possible 16" wheel with the widest tire I can. To further increase the cars track and grip.

Anyways. I'm not knocking the OP, just don't want people who are less knowledgeable to become discouraged by this thread.
^ in bold is the same exact thing i wanna do. hopefully someone figures it out soon and posts it up in here.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:00 AM
5 Year Member

- WHEEL : RAYS / VOLK RACING RE30 '08 FORMULA LIMITED EDITION
[ F 17 X 7.5J +43 R 17 X 7.5J +43 ]
- TYRE : BRIDGESTONE / POTENZA RE050 [ F 215/40ZR17 R 215/40ZR17 ]
- SPACER : R 8mm

rear has an effective offset of 35. Again fitments on these cars with camber dialed in will be no problem.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Thoughts re Offsets and Backspacing > Bearing and Tire Wear

Just tossing this one out there - does anyone have any concerns about getting bad bearing (or tire) wear with some of these aftermarket fitments?

For example, it looks like a 17x7 w/45mm offset may actually work, but this wheel will extend an additional 21mm outward, and only 5mm additional backspacing will be added. Is this a concern with this car?

I ran an aggressive wheel on my Audi S4 for about 35,000 miles:
OEM: 17x7.5 w/45mm offset
BBS: 18x8.5 w/35mm offset
Result: 0mm additional backspacing and 26mm additional outward extension.

I had some terrible tire wear with some tires, but not others, but I think that was related to a crummy alignment. Then, in 2007 I had to replace the rear wheel bearings. However, I had heard that the wheel bearings in VW/Audi's were a common problem, so that may have been the cause. Additionally, an Audi S4 is a LOT heavier than a Fit. Finally, Tire Rack was OK with me running this BBS wheel, they just recommended a P225/40R18 tire vs a P235/40R18 tire.

I've run various aftermarket wheels/tires on several cars over the years, but rarely paid much attention to the offset and used setups I know other people had or that were recommended by Tire Rack. But I rarely kept any car long enough to know if there was bad bearing wear occuring, and my tires have always worn fine. So any thoughts on this?

Old 09-14-2008, 05:57 PM
sorry just to clarify so right now I have a set of Enkei RS7 +42 offset with 205/40/17 tires will those fit or not even if I lower the car and camber kit or fix the camber???

Old 09-14-2008, 06:09 PM
Retired Moderator
They will work just fine..

Old 09-14-2008, 06:53 PM
so how will it look without the car being lowered as I know the fender gap will be larger. Also I'm afraid insurance will not honour the policy happened to a friend of mines but my insurance is fairly lenient on that matter just a pre-caution thanks

pics of a 09 Fit running 17s not lowered would be great too

Old 09-14-2008, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member
[quote=AWDturbo;424532]Just tossing this one out there - does anyone have any concerns about getting bad bearing (or tire) wear with some of these aftermarket fitments?

You could, yes, but the secret is keeping the backspace very close to stock. As long as the backspace doen't decrese much, say a quarter-inch, the change in bearing load is minimal. The stock alloy wheels have a backspace about 5", meaning the horizontal distance from hub face to inside the rear flange.

Quick Reply: 09 aftermarket wheels CAUTION