3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 3rd generation GK Honda Fit

$11 DIY Cargo Cover

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by NotBlake
Per Rottboy's request, here is the $11 DIY Cargo Cover that should be easily repeatable anywhere in the US.

Not wanting to shell out $200 for what was essentially a cloth-covered piece of fiberboard. I decided to get a $11 sheet of fiberboard and make my own damn cargo cover.

What it is:
-Cheap
-Effective
-Relatively Subtle

What it isn't:
-Factory
-Pretty

Step 1: Go to Michael's, walk past the section with regular foam core boards, and head straight to the custom framing department. Tell the nice lady at the counter that you need a huge sheet of black foam-core board. They have a 40"x60" sheet for $10 and change plus tax. This is large enough to give you a template cut and a final (bonus: this board is large enough to show a friend just how versatile your little hatchback is).

Step 2: cut a rectangle from the foam core that's about 45"x14" with a sharp new box-cutter and start whittling it down bit-by-bit to get it to fit in the cargo cover tray. This will take some time and your entire vocabulary of swear words.

Step 3: If you are as useless as I am, you will have some gaps that need filling where you cut too much away. tape some cardboard pieces in place to get a nice template.

Step 4: place your completed template on top of your fresh piece of board and cut a nice clean piece from your template.

Step 5: test fit and trim as necessary. Mine fit very snugly the first time - yay.

I put a flashlight below the cover so you can see that there are still some small gaps, but with my 40% tint and no light in this bay, it would not be possible to see anything through these gaps. Obviously the more patient you are, the cleaner your result will be. I am not a patient man.

The board is plenty rigid enough to hold its own weight, but not much more. It might not be for you, but this is functional enough to keep curious eyes off my precious cargo for now until the price on the OEM piece comes down.

Hope this helps.

-Blake
Thanks its ggreat! 176.00 from Berardi what a rip!
And my dealer is asking 230.00 plus tax. Yeah, not. this will be a great project.
Thanks Blake

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 12-17-2016 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:54 AM
5 Year Member
I like your completed low buck project. It looks damned good to me as well as being practical..

Old 12-19-2016, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Perrenoud Fit
Thanks its ggreat! 176.00 from Berardi what a rip!
And my dealer is asking 230.00 plus tax. Yeah, not. this will be a great project.
Thanks Blake
Seeing your other rehab threads, I'm sure you'll do a good job. My suggestion is to add something to add strength as just foam board will bend over time. I used curtain rods for a lightweight option. Someone even used a wood product and the span is wide enough that you'll eventually bow as well.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ick-intro.html

Old 12-22-2016, 11:41 PM
fantastic project. Thanks.

Old 06-24-2021, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by NotBlake
Per Rottboy's request, here is the $11 DIY Cargo Cover that should be easily repeatable anywhere in the US.

Not wanting to shell out $200 for what was essentially a cloth-covered piece of fiberboard. I decided to get a $11 sheet of fiberboard and make my own damn cargo cover.

What it is:
-Cheap
-Effective
-Relatively Subtle

What it isn't:
-Factory
-Pretty

Step 1: Go to Michael's, walk past the section with regular foam core boards, and head straight to the custom framing department. Tell the nice lady at the counter that you need a huge sheet of black foam-core board. They have a 40"x60" sheet for $10 and change plus tax. This is large enough to give you a template cut and a final (bonus: this board is large enough to show a friend just how versatile your little hatchback is).

Step 2: cut a rectangle from the foam core that's about 45"x14" with a sharp new box-cutter and start whittling it down bit-by-bit to get it to fit in the cargo cover tray. This will take some time and your entire vocabulary of swear words.

Step 3: If you are as useless as I am, you will have some gaps that need filling where you cut too much away. tape some cardboard pieces in place to get a nice template.

Step 4: place your completed template on top of your fresh piece of board and cut a nice clean piece from your template.

Step 5: test fit and trim as necessary. Mine fit very snugly the first time - yay.

I put a flashlight below the cover so you can see that there are still some small gaps, but with my 40% tint and no light in this bay, it would not be possible to see anything through these gaps. Obviously the more patient you are, the cleaner your result will be. I am not a patient man.

The board is plenty rigid enough to hold its own weight, but not much more. It might not be for you, but this is functional enough to keep curious eyes off my precious cargo for now until the price on the OEM piece comes down.

Hope this helps.

-Blake
Hey, will chalk foam board work? It's basically a sheet of foam board designed to be used with chalk for writing on, but that is not my intent. They also said it is cuttable.

Old 06-26-2021, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitfreakuser123
Hey, will chalk foam board work? It's basically a sheet of foam board designed to be used with chalk for writing on, but that is not my intent. They also said it is cuttable.
You'll probably need to add support otherwise it'll bow in the middle.

I use aluminum curtain rod as supports and it's been holding strong since 2015.