3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Interior Modifications Sub-Forum Threads discussing interior modifications for the 3rd generation GK Honda Fit

Hatch insulation

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 11:23 PM
Hatch insulation

One of the things that has always annoyed me is that when driving at slow speeds (under 25 or so) small cracks/bumps in the road are met with a pretty loud bang from the hatch area. At highway speeds it does not do this. It seems the lower the speed the worse it was.

I pulled the hatch covering off yesterday and used 2 inch thick ultratouch denim/cotton insulation stuffed into any cavity in the hatch. I also lines the plastic cover with the material and put it back on. Since I had much left over insulation I also lined the spare tire area with as much as I could fit.

Took it out for a drive and that bang is not gone when going over cracks/bumps. The road noise is reduced also. I am thinking of buying more of this and taking all of the covering out of the back and lining it with this material. I got 6 bags of it from Home Depot online a few months ago for $40.

Last edited by raynist; 11-01-2015 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:15 AM
Excellent post. I have used that insulation in my Accord's trunk area and that led to incredible results. Best part for the reader to understand is how this material is very lightweight - important since traditional mass loaded vinyl and butyl rubber products can be very heavy and particularly detrimental on acceleration/gas mileage with lower weight/hp vehicles such as the Fit.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by Gorilla
Excellent post. I have used that insulation in my Accord's trunk area and that led to incredible results. Best part for the reader to understand is how this material is very lightweight - important since traditional mass loaded vinyl and butyl rubber products can be very heavy and particularly detrimental on acceleration/gas mileage with lower weight/hp vehicles such as the Fit.
The 3 packages I used probably added 2 lbs or less

I have taken decibel measurements on the interstate at 65 mph prior to doing this and they were 76db. Did it again today and it is 72 db. It is noticeably quieter.

I plan on doing more. Now most of the road noise I hear is from the front of the car and the doors. Thinking of pulling off the door panels and lining them with this product.