3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2016 about to exit warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 11:13 AM
5 Year Member
2016 about to exit warranty

Just dropped her off and asked them to look at everything, including a random sputter I would get (haven't seen it in months though). It threw a CE light a couple times but quickly went away and I haven't seen it in months. Dealer said it had a stored code related to fuel injectors and there's a bulletin out for the repair. Parts are en-route. I'm glad I had them check this before the warranty expired.

Score one for having the dealer check things out before the warranty expires.

Old 04-03-2019, 05:57 PM
5 Year Member
Glad they will warranty it; not a cheap repair. What mileage are you at by the way?

Funny thing is I have the same issue with my 2016 exl. Currently at 49k kms and it threw CEL at me three times already within a span of 2 weeks only for it to go away the next day or after a few hours. But another month went by with no cels. Fluids all topped off but my fit vin is not in the range that the injector recall is part of... so I am hesitant to go to the dealer given that 1. car is still under warranty and 2. car is running fine. I felt the misfire/engine hesitation one time at idle right before cel came on but the other two times I was driving when the cel came on and did not feel the misfire. Again... the random misfire issue the early models have. I think I will just drive like this and if the CEL/Stability control and tire pressure lights come on at once and stay on (as I had on my former 2015 fit) then I will take it to the dealer.

I think Honda reprogrammed the way the cel behaves with random misfires since it seems to me after all these years on the GK forums that this is not really a life and death of the engine issue ... more like an annoyance.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:28 AM
5 Year Member
I was hesitant too but since I was about to come out of warranty, took it to the dealer. While I did not have a current CEL, it stored the code. So the dealer knew the CEL had come on previously. I even told them it wasn't currently on but did come on a couple times and stumble a bit hard (almost like bad gas from the old days).

I've noticed a huge improvement in gas mileage since the fix. So while everything was "working", it wasn't doing so efficiently. I know the digital gauge for fuel average isn't the most accurate but it's jumped 10% and my butt dyno says it's running better. Could be placebo but I don't think so.

I was at 35,000 miles and my VIN wasn't in the range for the fuel injector bulletin either.

Now I need to pay for two refurbished rims --- darn pot holes.

S

Old 04-04-2019, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
Please let me know where you get refurbished rims. I curbed one last summer and it's ugly.

Old 04-04-2019, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
I haggled a tee tiny bit because I bought two of them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Fit-2...72.m2749.l2649

You'll want to make sure you get the right color (charcoal/black). You can send them an e-mail of an existing wheel and they'll make sure you get the right color.

Steve

Old 04-04-2019, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
Can you even do this?

"Just dropped her off and asked them to look at everything."

My 2016 is just about to exit warranty, as I got it in May of 2016 if I remember right.

But my dealership won't look at anything, diagnose anything for free. I wanted them to look at my "Overactive" TPMS, and they wanted to charge my $150 to look at it, and said it was only refundable if they found something wrong...and THEN it would be covered under warranty. But if they didn't find anything wrong? I owed them the diagnostic fee. So basically, I could gamble that they WOULD find a problem, or I could just live with the TPMS as it seems to operate.

Since my service adviser didn't even know the TPMS system in my Fit was Indirect, he kept talking about checking the sensors thinking it was "direct", I passed on shelling out $150 for them to check it.

But I know if I wheeled it into their service bay, and just said "look at everything"...they'ed say sure, but then get out the calculator and start figuring out how much I owed them to check everything.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:28 AM
5 Year Member
I'm guessing it depends on the dealer. I've had some want the business and others seem "offended" when I do this. I got this idea from salespeople over the years. But sometimes sales/service aren't on the same page.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:51 AM
This doesn't seem to work in the Buffalo area,either. I've been to three different dealers and none of them would take my car to look it over because they said they needed a specific complaint or problem to look for. I made up a reason for the second and third and got the same answer from both that they would have to charge a diagnostic fee, but if they found anything with the fuel system or brakes, they would cover it under warranty and refund the diagnostic. I paid the last dealer the money and they said they did go over the fuel system, transmission, suspension, brakes, belts and hoses but everything was in tip top shape and told me at 30k I should have my transmission and brake fluid flushed, but other than that they had no recommendations. I guess $150 for peace of mind wasn't so bad.

Old 04-05-2019, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member
Honestly, I would be pretty upset if I took it in for a specific problem, while under warranty, and was quoted a diag fee.

While I asked them to look over the car, I did log very specific things -- and they did find a problem. But I was never quoted any kind of diag fee and one of the problems I mentioned they couldn't replicate (but I can easily) and I wasn't charged for that.
Steve

Old 04-05-2019, 12:58 PM
5 Year Member
Where this all gets a little murky is what happens when the car goes out of warranty, but the part fails long before it should.

We've had anecdotal reports here of premature starter failure on the GK5. When this happens - often just past the 36K mile marker or 3 yr point - a dealer will often charge a $125 diagnostic fee.

That's a double whammy - having to replace your starter (before 50K in many cases), and having to cough up the diagnostic fee to tell you how worthless the original part was.

Whenever possible, get Honda corporate's assistance before you take it to a dealer. If you take it to the dealer without contacting corporate first, and the dealer does the diagnostic work, you're out that $125 fee, and there's no guarantee you get it back. Dealers generally don't get reimbursed well for warranty work, so there is a disincentive to take it to a dealer first, they will try to shoo you away because they'd rather have better paying work. That tactic doesn't work if corporate gets involved and you take it to a dealer under their auspices.

Old 04-05-2019, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
It's funny that you take it to these shops for a simple oil change, and they like to do their "courtesy check" and come back with a laundry list of things they found need fixing. Ask them to look at something specific and they want to charge a diagnostics fee? haha

My wife recently took our 4Runner for an oil change, alignment and to check on a slow leak on a tire. The oil change was $35, alignment is free since I bought their lifetime alignment package and the slow leak was free because I have a tire warranty on them. They first tried to charge for an alignment and the tire patch until she reminded them of the warranty. They also had 2 pages of suggested fixes totaling about $1700. Some of them included things I had done outside of their shop as they charge too much so they couldn't have known. The list included spark plugs, air filter, fuel injection cleaner, a new battery, differential fluid replacement, replacing the radiator. I'm sure I'm missing a few things but you get my drift.

I had to laugh as the battery while older, had no issues starting the vehicle numerous times including while in their possession. Radiator had no leaks and we park it in the same spot in the garage. The radiator was replaced about 5 years ago when we did detect a leak on the floor. Spark plugs had been done 15k miles ago.

The tech must have been pissed that he spent hours on that car and all we paid was $40 after shop supplies/fees etc.

Old 04-05-2019, 11:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shadow Smith
Honestly, I would be pretty upset if I took it in for a specific problem, while under warranty, and was quoted a diag fee.

While I asked them to look over the car, I did log very specific things -- and they did find a problem. But I was never quoted any kind of diag fee and one of the problems I mentioned they couldn't replicate (but I can easily) and I wasn't charged for that.
Steve
It was because you said, " Just dropped her off and asked them to look at everything. " Which didn't sound too specific.

I don't blame service departments. It's shop time, it's labor, Warranty or no Warranty they have to charge for that.
For example, I'm convinced IF I had paid the $150 diagnostic fee to have them look at my TPMS system, they probably would of found nothing wrong. From the service departments perspective if they didn't charge me the diagnostic fee, they just spent shop time and labor, for absolutely no compensation.
While I believe dealerships should honor and support warranties, part of that warranty ISN'T that we as owners get free full vehicle check-ups.

Having a "refundable" if a problem is found, policy, keeps people from bringing in vehicles on whims, or....for "free" total check-ups.

Like I said, my vehicle is about to leave it's full warranty period. I'd like a service department to "look at everything" BUT....without any specific symptoms of any specific problems, I wouldn't expect them to do that for free. That's not part of the warranty.

Old 04-06-2019, 03:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
I don't blame service departments. It's shop time, it's labor, Warranty or no Warranty they have to charge for that.

Having a "refundable" if a problem is found, policy, keeps people from bringing in vehicles on whims, or....for "free" total check-ups.

Like I said, my vehicle is about to leave it's full warranty period. I'd like a service department to "look at everything" BUT....without any specific symptoms of any specific problems, I wouldn't expect them to do that for free. That's not part of the warranty.
Agreed … From all the reading I've done on here, I either A) got a "good" early '15 build, as I've not had to have anything done other routine maintenance - I bought the Fit CPO sometime in '16, or B) the previous owner had all the problems fixed and decided to get rid of it. Other than a couple of paint blemishes (no rust, just a couple of rough looking spots) and the slight hesitation at 2200 RPM - doesn't seem to do that in 1st, and I avoid it by generally accelerating to a point where when I shift, am at about 2500 RPM or higher when I am in the next gear. Other than that, it's a tremendous car. I still have some warranty left (will definitely expire due to time and not miles, I live like 3 miles from work and work 12 hour shifts x3 per week). I regularly wind it out on twisty backroads 'round here and take it out in the mountains from time to time....as close in ratio as the top 3 gears are, it works well in the mountain curves and hills. Previous owner had even had new tires installed, and they do not seem to be wearing....would like to switch to something a bit wider, but these Coopers just keep on truckin'.....and they're fine, likely way better than factory tires. My limited exposure to my local Honda dealer (when I bought it and yearly oil changes) leaves me feeling as if they're honest enough and don't try to upsell me on anything. In fact, I was lucky to find this one (black wouldn't have been my first color choice, but.....having a manual was the top of my list, as, by the time this thing is ready to retire, there might very well be no more manuals available, at least not for the average income American. I love this little car, dealer seems OK, and, yeah, it shouldn't be unexpected for them to want to charge for their time to check the car over, as that's not something warranteed, as you said. An independent mechanic won't check your car out for free, why would the dealer? Having it looked over right before warranty expiration, but spending the money should be worth the piece of mind. Carry on.

Old 04-06-2019, 05:08 PM
5 Year Member
Good Point

Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
It's funny that you take it to these shops for a simple oil change, and they like to do their "courtesy check" and come back with a laundry list of things they found need fixing. Ask them to look at something specific and they want to charge a diagnostics fee? haha
Good Point.
I guess if they want to up sell you on a whole lot of repairs and services, they can do that "absolutely free courtesy check" that usually is supposedly nearly the entire vehicle. BUT...it you want work done that might be under warranty? Then suddenly "checking" the vehicle is a $150 per concern operation.

Old 04-08-2019, 10:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
It was because you said, " Just dropped her off and asked them to look at everything. " Which didn't sound too specific.

I see your point. I did mention "including a random sputter" which is more specific.

I'd like to point out that I wouldn't have asked them to look over everything else had I not specifically been told by various sales people over the years to do so -- as the car exits the warranty. So either this is a "slimey sales gimmick" some tell new customers or some dealers actually want to look the car over and bill the manufacturer with what they find.

Either way, I saw no harm in asking.

To be totally transparent, I can't remember if the Honda Fit salesperson told me that. I know with 100% certainly that my BMW and AMG rep did. Maybe it's a German thing? LOL. But I've heard it so many times over the years... but this is the first time I've done it as I tend to get rid of my cars before the warranty expires -- but love my Fit too much to let her go.

Last edited by Shadow Smith; 04-08-2019 at 10:23 AM.