3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2015 EX: MTF Smelled Burnt

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2021, 09:38 AM
mbb
Question 2015 EX: MTF Smelled Burnt

When changing the MTF at around 67k miles, I noticed that the fluid was low, black, and had a burning smell (not pungent, but also not pleasant). Both drain and fill bolts were very loose (I unscrewed them by hand), so I suspect fluid had been leaking. The drain pan was also stained and slightly wet with what looks like MTF. With the new fluid, the gears shift fine with some slight sticking getting into first at times. No evidence of gears grinding or slipping. The car had around 50k miles when I bought it, and the MTF has never been changed to my knowledge. No Maintenance Minder codes before or after the fluid change...

I'm wondering if the low MTF has caused damage and if I should have a mechanic take a look and maybe do a flush. Thoughts?

Old 01-30-2021, 09:57 AM
5 Year Member
Welcome. Sure the previous owner never tried to flush the tranny? The drain and fill bolts wouldn't be that loose from the factory such that you could unscrew them by hand.

My guess is that the previous owner attempted a flush but never finished, and didn't torque the drain and fill bolts on the way out.

Now that you've replaced with fresh fluid, I think you're OK. Not sure what else could be done if the previous fluid was questionable.

Old 01-30-2021, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by mbb
With the new fluid, the gears shift fine with some slight sticking getting into first at times. No evidence of gears grinding or slipping. The car had around 50k miles when I bought it, and the MTF has never been changed to my knowledge..... Thoughts?
Most with MT Fit's all mention the "sticking when getting into first", not sure about previous generations, but on the GK5 it's common.
Yeah, the fill and drain bolts are very tough to remove from factory. I did a drain and fill on mine a couple of weeks ago and had to really fight to get them off.
After the change (with Royal Purple Synchromax*), the shifts and overall driving feel is far improved. Mind you, my car has about 40k miles and the old fluid looked really clean despite it's age.

*This message is not an endorsement for Royal Purple products.

Old 01-30-2021, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
Buying a car at 50 k miles, unless the original owner provided me with receipts showing maintenance done, upon taking possession I would have changed all the fluids, engine oil, transmission oil, rad fluid, etc. You can never be sure how hard the previous owner has driven the car, and how little maintenance he may have done, whether he's even used the right fluids if he has changed something himself, etc. Best to start fresh where you know what's been done because you've done it and it's been done right.

Old 01-31-2021, 08:36 AM
5 Year Member
If you’re worried about it drain and fill it again after a couple hundred miles to get rid of any of the residual bad fluid. If you’re not seeing glitter you’re probably fine.

Old 02-01-2021, 12:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by woof
Buying a car at 50 k miles, unless the original owner provided me with receipts showing maintenance done, upon taking possession I would have changed all the fluids, engine oil, transmission oil, rad fluid, etc. You can never be sure how hard the previous owner has driven the car, and how little maintenance he may have done, whether he's even used the right fluids if he has changed something himself, etc. Best to start fresh where you know what's been done because you've done it and it's been done right.
Agreed, and I would add hoses, brakes and tires.

Loose drain and fill bolts are a sign of some very bad maintenance. They don't come from the factory loose, and they are never loose on a properly maintained car. If they were hand loose, as you say, then you were on your way to a catastrophic transmission failure (due to loss of MT fluid).

N.B. If you are not thinking about changing your MT fluid like you change your engine oil, you're not getting it. But . . . some people can only see the "Yeah, but I want to save money" approach to life.

P.S. Honda sacrificed every bit of space in the engine compartment so that they could sell you a car with "amazing interior space and — hey, look — fold-down seats!" It's a shame that things like MT fluid bolts are so hard to reach because of it.

Old 02-01-2021, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by Mister Coffee
Agreed, and I would add hoses, brakes and tires.
What hoses need to be replaced at 50k miles?

Old 02-01-2021, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member
Radiator hoses, perhaps? Dunno, mine are still good (well at least feel good) at 60000 miles......gonna get my manual gearbox fluid replaced this spring......although have never done this ever on any previous car I've had with a stick and never had a problem, but....I wanna keep this car for a long time, it's perfect for me.

Old 02-01-2021, 05:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BMWguy22
No, not replaced, but checked. Radiator hoses replaced only if there are any soft spots on them when you squeeze them. And checked for any leaks or loose fitting where the clamps are. Hoses in general checks to make sure that any clamps holding them are still on tight.

Old 02-02-2021, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by woof
No, not replaced, but checked. Radiator hoses replaced only if there are any soft spots on them when you squeeze them. And checked for any leaks or loose fitting where the clamps are. Hoses in general checks to make sure that any clamps holding them are still on tight.
For the second time, I'm with Seńor Woof.

Old 02-02-2021, 11:56 AM
P.S. Honda sacrificed every bit of space in the engine compartment so that they could sell you a car with "amazing interior space and — hey, look — fold-down seats!" It's a shame that things like MT fluid bolts are so hard to reach because of it.
True, but it's still pretty easy to change the MTF once you have the plugs (drain and fill) out.
When adding fluid, I simply removed the air cleaner assembly and it gave me more than enough room to fill the trans from the top.

When you compare the Fit setup to an AWD/RWD vehicle where you have to have the car lifted at all 4 corners and AND level when adding fluid, the Fit setup doesn't seem so bad.

Old 02-03-2021, 02:13 PM
5 Year Member
True, but it's still pretty easy to change the MTF once you have the plugs (drain and fill) out.
When adding fluid, I simply removed the air cleaner assembly and it gave me more than enough room to fill the trans from the top.

When you compare the Fit setup to an AWD/RWD vehicle where you have to have the car lifted at all 4 corners and AND level when adding fluid, the Fit setup doesn't seem so bad.
Duly noted, BMWguy22. I do my MT fluid change from underneath. I don't remove anything. I bend back part of the under-tray, use hand tools on the bolts, use a hand pump inserted into the MT fluid bottle. My complaint is that there is simply not enough room to get a serious purchase on those bolts. Just have to do my best.

Old 02-03-2021, 02:41 PM
Duly noted, BMWguy22. I do my MT fluid change from underneath. I don't remove anything. I bend back part of the under-tray, use hand tools on the bolts, use a hand pump inserted into the MT fluid bottle. My complaint is that there is simply not enough room to get a serious purchase on those bolts. Just have to do my best.
For adding the fluid, I purchased two feet of clear plastic tubing ($0.30/foot) which I threw away after the job was done.
This tubing fit neatly over the nipple of the fluid I used and once I removed the air filter assembly, I fed it into the fill hole.

The hardest part I encountered was removing the fill and drain plugs. I simply had no way of leveraging my wrenches with the car in the air.
Only once I brought the car closer the the ground, was I able to use part of the frame to stand on while pulling on the wrench (those plugs are really stuck in there!).

Glad my method could be of assistance

Old 02-03-2021, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by tyrtill
If you’re worried about it drain and fill it again after a couple hundred miles to get rid of any of the residual bad fluid. If you’re not seeing glitter you’re probably fine.
I agree a 2x drain and fill.

Old 02-03-2021, 09:30 PM
Does the MTF get drained/filled like the CVT transmission?