3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Changing CVT selector knob - some thoughts and pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 02:36 PM
Changing CVT selector knob - some thoughts and pics

Several days back, I tried to replace the stock knob on my LX with an oem leather knob, which is a (relatively) easy process. For those that didn't find it, there is a great video showing the steps:

However, while trying to follow the steps as shown, I managed to crack the thin horizontal part of the front plate (the portion that goes above the button on the knob). I was using plastic pry tools, but obviously was not careful enough. In fact, my plastic tools weren't sturdy enough for the job, so I switched to a taped screwdriver and worked from the bottom of the front plate, which allowed me to remove the front plate, although it was a bit more rough on the plastic plate (I saw the screwdriver method in a video with a '09 Fit)

I was curious which method other people are using to remove this plate on their GK Fits. The next time I have to remove the knob, I wanted to have a better experience than having to buy a new front cover plate like I did this time.

For reference, I took some pics of the parts involved:

Here are the two parts of the CVT shift knob.

The two left circles show the posts on the front plate that have nubs. These "snap" into the back of the knob. The right circle shows the post that just slides in. Prying on the top of the plate (left in this picture) tries to release a post with a nub initially. Prying on the bottom of the plate (right on this pic) allowed me to slide out the "slide in post" enough so that there was a gap on the side (then I slid my screwdriver there to work out the middle post).

A better view of the front plate:

Front plate showing the 6 posts and the horizontal portion that I broke

In any case, the leather knob is an improvement worth doing

Old 04-20-2016, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
I did this a number of months ago and remember using a wooden paint stirrer from Home Depot I had laying around. It worked great and fortunately did not break anything. I followed the video starting from the top and getting enough to pry it loose.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
I followed the video and used plastic tools and still broke it too; same place! I ended up ordering the darn replacement for a few bucks and should have just ordered it from the get go to save on shipping just for insurance. And I was super careful too.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:25 PM
5 Year Member
I did mine and used a plastic putty knife to separate - no issues at all.

es

Old 04-20-2016, 10:30 PM
I had the same experience when I replaced my EX shift knob with the leather one. I cracked the plastic piece in the exact same place. My recommendation is to start prying about halfway up the plastic faceplate piece. This puts less stress on the thin top piece. In any event, the replacement knob is definitely worth it.
Nedpoins
2015 EX CVT
Black crystal