3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

4.3" Garmin GPS position...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 08:21 AM
5 Year Member
4.3" Garmin GPS position...

Haven't noticed a thread on this, but, since my windows are tinted and a tint strip across the top o' the windshield, have found a perfect spot for the Garmin....well, at least the 4.3", dunno what sizes are available. Pull out the driver-side dash drink holder, put bottom of the unit against the front "lip" of the cupholder and lean it back against the dash .... works perfectly for me, easy enough to see and fuss with if necessary.....sits there OK by itself, but seems a lil more stable if I leave the window mount attached and place that inside the cupholder. Looks way better to me than suction cupping it to a window or dash or wherever....just a heads up, if it hasn't been posted about before.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:06 AM
5 Year Member
I am a big fan of the Ultra-Gauge Blue on my Galaxy S4 used with a cup holder mount made by Macally. It fits neatly in the cup holder under the ICE unit and can be adjusted for great visibility as long as I keep from cruising in third gear for an extended period. This is vastly superior to the Macally suction cup mount I had been using; I found any placement awkward and worried that an airbag release from either the steering wheel or the side curtain would send the phone shooting into my skull.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
I keep my Samsung 5 in that cup holder when I'm using the GPS. Perfect.

Old 06-25-2016, 03:30 PM
I put my TomTom gps with the the mounting bracket attached, in one of the cup holders behind the shifter. Angled it toward me and I can see it perfect. No sunlight down there either to mess with the display screen.

Old 06-25-2016, 04:34 PM
5 Year Member
Anything I put in the cup holder blocks the airflow from the vent. I use the suction cup mount and attach the GPS to the quarter window to my left. Works great.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BenQuick
I put my TomTom gps with the the mounting bracket attached, in one of the cup holders behind the shifter. Angled it toward me and I can see it perfect. No sunlight down there either to mess with the display screen.
That's where I put my Garmin 4.3" GPS. The plus is that there are no suction cup marks on the window or the quarter window like there were on my SX4 Suzuki.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
Anything I put in the cup holder blocks the airflow from the vent. I use the suction cup mount and attach the GPS to the quarter window to my left. Works great.
Did that with my SX4, damn thing kept falling off. The problem I find with GPS in the vent cup holder is the cord going across the steering wheel post to the GPS. Irritating. Being that close to the gear shift is sometimes awkward.

Old 06-26-2016, 12:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KentFinn
Did that with my SX4, damn thing kept falling off. The problem I find with GPS in the vent cup holder is the cord going across the steering wheel post to the GPS. Irritating. Being that close to the gear shift is sometimes awkward.
Mine falls off about once a month. Not a big deal, as it just sits on the dash when it does.

I routed the wire down the left side of the dash, behind the clutch pedal, over the steering column, behind the console, along the right side of the console then into the power outlet in the console.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:33 AM
5 Year Member
This is how I have mine setup, but I actually swapped them. So the phone is up top, and the Garmin is below:

Name:  20160329_174333_zpsu4gcsz64.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  198.1 KB

I have to redo the bottom mount as the 3M tape is coming off, but it was solid with the phone. I think the GPS is heavier.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BenQuick
That's where I put mine.
First time I tried it I was surprised the GPS could still acquire the satellites, but it seems to work.
I like it because it blocks the sun, no glare, and also isn't so obvious to potential thieves when I park and leave it.
I have an old bean bag mount, and I just lay it in the space and it holds it perfectly. However, I think I'm going to experiment with a cup holder style, as I think that would be more secure/safer. And the bean bag, is pretty much just "stuffing" it in the space.

Also I don't like any positioning that blocks the window, or might interfere with the airbags if in a wreck. This I think meets all those criteria.

Last edited by fitchet; 10-10-2016 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
That's where I put mine.
First time I tried it I was surprised the GPS could still acquire the satellites, but it seems to work.
I like it because it blocks the sun, no glare, and also isn't so obvious to potential thieves when I park and leave it.
I have an old bean bag mount, and I just lay it in the space and it holds it perfectly. However, I think I'm going to experiment with a cup holder style, as I think that would be more secure/safer. And the bean bag, is pretty much just "stuffing" it in the space.

Also I don't like any positioning that blocks the window, or might interfere with the airbags if in a wreck. This I think meets all those criteria.
That's exactly where and why I put my Garmin Nuvi 4.5 in. No glare, not attention from prying eyes, no dangling cord across the windshield. I'd like to get a small battery powered "dash" cam to tuck behind the rear view mirror, but the ones I've seen have very small screens.

I don't often glance at the display. Instead I listen to Jack (or Charlie as my daughter and I have nicked named the GPS voice.)

Old 10-10-2016, 07:23 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
my wife's GK runs proclip. very solid mount.

Old 10-11-2016, 07:52 AM
mine goes on the windshield low center right. that way I don't take my eyes off the road while driving.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
Anything I put in the cup holder blocks the airflow from the vent.
Anything I put in the cup holder blocks the caffeine flow to my brain in the morning.

Old 10-11-2016, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KentFinn
That's exactly where and why I put my Garmin Nuvi 4.5 in. No glare, not attention from prying eyes, no dangling cord across the windshield. I'd like to get a small battery powered "dash" cam to tuck behind the rear view mirror, but the ones I've seen have very small screens.

I don't often glance at the display. Instead I listen to Jack (or Charlie as my daughter and I have nicked named the GPS voice.)
The only drawback to the position, IMO...and it's NOT insignificant is the fact that to see the screen you do have to look down, and away from the windshield.

But like you, I pretty much just go by the verbal prompts. That seems the safest way.

If I get lost? I can safely pull over, stop and take a closer look at the map.
But while I'm driving?
I go by the calm advice of the verbal prompts as presented by The Australian Womans voice on my Garmin.
Re-Calculating...seems so much more civilized when spoken with an accent.

GPS and Navigation computers are great....but keeping your eyes on the road is even more important at any given moment.
Reacting to a simulation of the road ahead of you, not as good as reacting to the reality of the REAL road ahead of you.

I listen almost exclusively.
When driving that just seems the safest way to utilize a navigation computer. I'd rather miss a turn, and get recalculated than be in an accident because I was looking at a screen instead of the road.

Old 10-11-2016, 04:55 PM
5 Year Member
I wish they had a Mr. T voice download available .... "I PITY the fool who don't turn left in point 3 miles!!!!"

Old 10-11-2016, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fuelish
I wish they had a Mr. T voice download available .... "I PITY the fool who don't turn left in point 3 miles!!!!"
Or maybe the little black female from Police Academy: Please turn left in one pile... TURN LEFT NOW, SUCKER!