3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Shifting into sixth gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 11:21 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fuelish
Agreed, should not have to force a car into gear.....but skipping gears is perfectly acceptable, really
Other than being harder on the synchros in the transmission, yes.

Originally Posted by nobdy
Maybe it isn't needed, but it would improve the vehicle.

I like the sound of a small engine zipping to which redline, but the sound of this engine passed 4000 RPM is not pleasing or well-controlled in this car.

I used to get very good efficiency in an Integra that turned a lot of revolutions in high gear, but I still have to assume that the manual transmission car would get the better efficiency of the CVT on the highway if the top gear were revised.
Gear the car taller and it is more likely the driver has to downshift to proceed up grades/pass at speed. That would be an issue with many buyers b/c OMG so much work.

But I drive a car that sits at 4K RPM any time I travel on the interstate.

Old 03-24-2017, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b

Gear the car taller and it is more likely the driver has to downshift to proceed up grades/pass at speed. That would be an issue with many buyers b/c OMG so much work.
I know this is the received wisdom, but I have two reasons to doubt it.

First, I made the same point about VW's gearing with their manual in the original five speed manual more than a decade ago and got the same answer from someone in the industry. Yet, that engine had so much mid-range torque that it likely accelerated more quickly from 50-70 in fifth than a Fit does in third. VW did later revise all the gearing for the 2.5 liter and it helped to make the car much more efficient.

Second. it isn't plausible that someone who buys a 1.5 liter with a six speed manual minds shifting. Does anyone a think a Fit buyer anywhere ever said "At least I won't have to shift this damned manual if I find myself driving up a hill!"?

Seems more likely that the reason the Fit is this way is that in most Honda markets this gearing doesn't reveal any flaws that aren't present in lots of competitors' cars.

Originally Posted by mike410b

My first car was a 1973 Kahrmann Ghia. I don't consider myself intolerant of high revolutions and highway noise per se. However, the high pitched clacking of the direct injection unit lacks the musical burble of an Alpha. It's more Fran Drescher than Bing Crosby. When you sound like Fran Drescher less is always more.

Old 03-25-2017, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by Rob H
IDK, I rarely use 5th. I pretty much just shift from 4th to 6th
Same here. When I wear sixth gear out I will use 5th

Old 03-26-2017, 12:00 PM
mike410b wrote:

That's been one of my chief gripes regarding the 6MT: the top two gears are too short! 5th should really be where 6th is now, with 6th an extra-tall OD for economy and noise reduction. As it stands now I don't exceed 70 MPH because above that fuel economy plummets; with Arkansas set to raise its limit to 75 MPH, I'll be stuck in the slow lane.

My guess is that Honda kept the top gear short to avoid complaints of "lacks power on hills". That's why you turn off the cruise and shift the tranny yourself!

Last edited by alex750; 03-26-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by alex750
mike410b wrote:

That's why you turn off the cruise and shift the tranny yourself!
Actually my FIT and I assume they all work the same? Anyway, if the cruise is on and I shift gears, it stays on and will maintain the current speed. Most other cars I own or have owned with manual trans, when the clutch is depressed it kicks the cruise out. The Honda doesn't seem to do that. Don't know why?