3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Opinions Wanted: Cargo Tray & Cargo Cover

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 11:33 PM
5 Year Member
For the floors, I bought and love the
3D MAXpider Kagu Floor Mats 3D MAXpider Kagu Floor Mats
($116 when I ordered them).

For the cargo tray, I got this $22.99 Chinese knockoff on ebay. and I'm very happy with it for the price. Ebay images don't show that it has embossed "FIT" logo in center.

I would love a cargo cover but the OEM one is too pricey for me and I haven't found a cheap alternative.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
If you have sand, snow or ice in your weather, definitely get custom mats, but not at your dealer. As stated, Husky or Weathertech.

Instead of the cargo tray you could buy a thicker rubber mat from Home Depot and cut a custom mat. This works better when you have the rear seats flat.

Instead of the cargo cover I use a black blanket to cover up whatever I am carrying. It works very well and is inexpensive.

Also consider a Garmin GPS. The Honda one costs ~$200/yr for updates, I believe.
Using a blanket suggests to potential thieves that have something valuable in the car that you are hiding with a blanket. Otherwise why would you have bothered to cover the area with a blanket? A cargo cover suggests that you may have something valuable or you may not. It tends to be always there, whether you have something under it or not. Therefore I believe a cargo cover is a better burglary deterrent than a blanket.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nomenclator
Using a blanket suggests to potential thieves that have something valuable in the car that you are hiding with a blanket. Otherwise why would you have bothered to cover the area with a blanket? A cargo cover suggests that you may have something valuable or you may not. It tends to be always there, whether you have something under it or not. Therefore I believe a cargo cover is a better burglary deterrent than a blanket.
You assume crackhead thieves are using logic for picking out vehicles to burgle.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:11 PM
5 Year Member
Cargo cover is a better burglary deterrent in big cities like SF. The crackheads over here will just smash and grab anything that is visible or anything suggests there's something underneath. They are ruthless over here. So $200+ was a good investment for me.

I do also plan on getting an all weather cargo tray when I free up some funds.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:22 AM
I have tinted windows and put a dark blue blanket over my stuff. It camouflages my stuff as you can't see it through the window.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:49 AM
5 Year Member
I just toss a blanket over the worthy item to make it look like just a blanket and nothing underneath. A smart burglar probably targets those who he thinks has something to hide rather than randomly smashing windows to see what is hidden.

Last edited by wasserball; 06-28-2017 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:25 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
true. i had my wife's GK tinted and she just uses a black cloth over her valuables when she needs to park somewhere. can't see inside even with flashlight pointed at it at night.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
You assume crackhead thieves are using logic for picking out vehicles to burgle.
Witty remark. However I think it is not so much logic at work as it is basic, automatic human nature at work. If someone is appears to be trying to hide something, it is human nature to quickly conclude, without much thought, that it is something they think that other people might covet. Once that happens, it doesn't take much more thought for the coveteous crackhead to conclude that it might be something that he or she might covet too. A similar process occurs when predatory animals decide who to chase. They see an animal running away - that must be the right animal to chase. Instinct seems to be involved, more than logic. You don't have to just take my word for it, you can try this experiment with any local domesticated canine. Approach it fearlessly and it is likely to cower and try to creep away. Run away from it like you are afraid of it and there is a high likelyhood that it will decide to chase after you. Stop running, turn around, and face it, and it will very likely automatically respond by cowering, or even running away from you.

Last edited by nomenclator; 07-12-2017 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
I'm going to say, having owned the Cargo Cover for a while now.
Sometimes in life it's not the cost....it's what you get.
I don't think in terms of the material used, anyone could argue the OEM cargo cover is a good value.
But what you get? Is a quiet, good looking cover, that fits perfectly.

While I personally think Honda should just include them as a standard piece of equipment. And I would say, as an aftermarket purchase it is expensive.
I'm not unhappy with what I got.

Some owners have self fabricated some beautiful covers. But if you don't have the time or skill? Then even though it is pricey, I'm still going to recommend the OEM cover.

Old 07-15-2017, 06:48 PM
Thumbs up WeatherTech all the way

Originally Posted by hondasrun4ever
Where do you buy these custom mats?
I bought mine directly from WeatherTech although I think they're on Amazon as well. I love WeatherTech's mats, we have the cargo area one as well as the front/rear seats ones for our Prius V and they're awesome. Super sturdy, the lip keeps things from spilling, and really easy to clean (we just hose 'em down from time to time). Also they fit perfectly.

Old 07-13-2018, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by Fit4Me?
For the floors, I bought and love the 3D MAXpider Kagu Floor Mats ($116 when I ordered them).

For the cargo tray, I got this $22.99 Chinese knockoff on ebay. and I'm very happy with it for the price. Ebay images don't show that it has embossed "FIT" logo in center.

I would love a cargo cover but the OEM one is too pricey for me and I haven't found a cheap alternative.
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but that's a great price on your eBay knockoff cargo cover tray. Is there any reason I shouldn't buy that? I think the stock cover in the cargo area is too flimsy and I have a dog that rides back there regularly.

Last edited by WampaStompa; 07-13-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by WampaStompa
cargo tray. Is there any reason I shouldn't buy that? I think the stock cover in the cargo area is too flimsy and I have a dog that rides back there regularly.
I have a
3D MAXpider cargo tray 3D MAXpider cargo tray
(not the cover that hides stuff) and I love it. You'll appreciate hosing all the dog hair and dirt out of a tray instead of attempting to vacuum it out of the Fit's felt-like carpet.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:00 PM
Yeah I really like that 3D Max tray, but it's $20 more than then OEM Honda tray ($100 vs $80). I definitely would like the 3D Max mats, but for the price I think I'd lean towards the Honda tray just because it's cheaper. I'm really between the OEM tray and the really cheap ~$20 knockoff trays on eBay and Ali Express.

We (dog and I) go to the lake at least once a week, including the winter, so that trunk is going to get a lot of wet dog all up in it.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:28 PM
5 Year Member
Wow, $80 that's a good deal. I bought the cargo tray to match my floor mats. Don't get this cargo tray.

Last edited by Press Fit; 07-13-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:41 PM
Thanks a lot for that link and picture. I think I'll go for the Honda branded tray and then wait to grab a set of 3D MAXpider mats this fall!

Old 07-16-2018, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
I was lucky enough to find my oem cargo tray locally, on craigslist for half the price of retail. such a great investment

Old 07-18-2018, 11:46 AM
I have both the Honda cargo tray and cover and can't complain. The cover is indeed fairly cheap and somewhat flimsy in materials. Definitely too expensive...BUT it fits and works perfectly and looks great. It even has a gap between the the cover and rear seat backs so you can recline the rear seats properly (did you know you could do that?). If you lower the rear seats flat a lot, removing the cargo cover is a bit of a pain. It's not difficult; it just adds annoying steps.

Also, if you lower the rear seats a lot, I recommend the rear seat back covers to protect the cheap material on the seat backs when piling stuff back there on them.

Last edited by LesPaulPlayer; 07-18-2018 at 01:46 PM.