3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

MM for 6MT fluid change ... at what mileage will it be due?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 05:55 PM
5 Year Member
MM for 6MT fluid change ... at what mileage will it be due?

I finally had my maintenance minder notify me of "3" which is transmission fluid change for my manual 6 speed gearbox. I wonder if the CVT is on a different schedule than the manuals. 113k kms on the odo.

For the record I always reset the mm at 0%. So I dumped in 1.5 liters of Torco MTF and so far so good. But I already did a change at 76 k kms with honda's stuff. Looks like honda spec'd their mtf for 60k miles worth of service. I don't know if they are crazy or if quality of oil got better.

I wonder if anyone else can share when their mm came on for MT tranny service.

Old 11-11-2017, 02:02 AM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by CommanderSlug
I finally had my maintenance minder notify me of "3" which is transmission fluid change for my manual 6 speed gearbox. I wonder if the CVT is on a different schedule than the manuals. 113k kms on the odo.

For the record I always reset the mm at 0%. So I dumped in 1.5 liters of Torco MTF and so far so good. But I already did a change at 76 k kms with honda's stuff. Looks like honda spec'd their mtf for 60k miles worth of service. I don't know if they are crazy or if quality of oil got better.

I wonder if anyone else can share when their mm came on for MT tranny service.
Have you noticed any improvement(s) by switching over to Torco MTF?

Thanks!

Old 11-11-2017, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member
I finally had my maintenance minder notify me of "3" which is transmission fluid change for my manual 6 speed gearbox.
113k kms on the odo.

But I already did a change at 76 k kms with honda's stuff.
Simply put: Your maintenance minder system has no clue that you replaced the trans fluid at 76k kms.

Since you as an individual don't have the ability to reset individual service reminder items without the dealers scantool or equivalent, it's always best to keep track of your own maintenance work and if necessary adjust your own schedule as you see fit.

Old 11-11-2017, 07:08 PM
sjd
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ezone
Since you as an individual don't have the ability to reset individual service reminder items without the dealers scantool or equivalent, it's always best to keep track of your own maintenance work and if necessary adjust your own schedule as you see fit.
I did an oil change and brakes all the way around on my Civic and was able to reset the MM for the oil change and the "B service" without a scan tool. Is the Fit different in that we can't reset it ourselves?

Old 11-11-2017, 08:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sjd
I did an oil change and brakes all the way around on my Civic and was able to reset the MM for the oil change and the "B service" without a scan tool. Is the Fit different in that we can't reset it ourselves?
You can reset the service indicators when they appear on the display or at any time you want by bringing the MM display up, but on most of the cars you can't select which individual numbers to reset and you can't reset numbers that don't come up when you enter the reset mode. (1-6 depending on the vehicle)

The dealer level scantool can go in and reset individual items such as JUST JUST #3 for a trans service or JUST #5 for coolant service, even though it is not showing on the minder display on the dash.
The scanner resets the selected individual counter(s) to their starting point.

(Not all dealer techs do this either because it's kind of time consuming, and many entry level dealer techs don't even know it can be done.)

NOTE: Many early versions of the maintenance minder system did not allow individual service items to be reset with a scanner, and in just the last couple years Honda has given some cars the ability to have individual service items reset by the user, through the display menus.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by USDM
Have you noticed any improvement(s) by switching over to Torco MTF?
Thanks!
Short answer: not much of a difference overall, but it is a improvement over factory fill. But I have to note that honda's mtf makes some shifts feel like sand paper, although not very frequent. This would happen at certain speeds in certain gears [warm tranny] but again, not all the time.

Torco MTF is spec'd as a Xw20 weight thinner race fluid with a shorter lifespan, but I got it on sale for $12 cad/quart at amazon and simply could not resist. Oddly, price is back at $32/quart now; maybe they wanted to get rid of some stock.

Anyhow, I can give you additional feedback on some other oils I tried so far:

1. Honda MTF [factory fill] -> should get the job done for 60k miles (changed mine at 47k miles)
2. Quaker State 5w20 non-synthetic -> decreased performance with sand paper shifts more frequent than with honda's but overall gets the job done. (note: I used QS as a "flush" for 300 miles).
3. Honda MTF [dealer puchased] at 76k kms -> feels no different than when the car was new with factory fill [ran for 30k kms]
4. 1qt Castrol 5w40 US spec + 0.5qt honda MTF [ran for 8k kms] -> overall good performance but smoother/slower shifts at cold temps. I wanted to try something different.
5. Torco MTF -> so far this is the best fluid out of my trials for both cold and warm performance. Will see how it stands the test of time.

I am planning to try some other ones in the future:
- Royal Purple Synchromax
- Motomaster 75w90 synthetic gear oil
- ACDelco GM Synchromesh oil

Last edited by CommanderSlug; 11-12-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:45 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ezone
Simply put: Your maintenance minder system has no clue that you replaced the trans fluid at 76k kms.
That's absolutely right! I was waiting for MM to come on and had no idea when it is supposed to come on, so I jumped on a variety of forums to see when others change their MT fluid. I saw most people going by the 30k/35k mile interval with some going shorter; some longer. So given I was at 47k miles at the time, I decided to go for it and follow my own schedule/what I want.

But when the mm came on for MT fluid change at 70k miles, I was rather surprised at how long it took. I really don't think it would have been healthy to keep that factory fill in there for that long given the way I drive lol.

Old 11-12-2017, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator
Short answer: not much of a difference overall, but it is a improvement over factory fill. But I have to note that honda's mtf makes some shifts feel like sand paper, although not very frequent. This would happen at certain speeds in certain gears [warm tranny] but again, not all the time.

Torco MTF is spec'd as a Xw20 weight thinner race fluid with a shorter lifespan, but I got it on sale for $12 cad/quart at amazon and simply could not resist. Oddly, price is back at $32/quart now; maybe they wanted to get rid of some stock.

Anyhow, I can give you additional feedback on some other oils I tried so far:

1. Honda MTF [factory fill] -> should get the job done for 60k miles (changed mine at 47k miles)
2. Quaker State 5w20 non-synthetic -> decreased performance with sand paper shifts more frequent than with honda's but overall gets the job done. (note: I used QS as a "flush" for 300 miles).
3. Honda MTF [dealer puchased] at 76k kms -> feels no different than when the car was new with factory fill [ran for 30k kms]
4. 1qt Castrol 5w40 US spec + 0.5qt honda MTF [ran for 8k kms] -> overall good performance but smoother/slower shifts at cold temps. I wanted to try something different.
5. Torco MTF -> so far this is the best fluid out of my trials for both cold and warm performance. Will see how it stands the test of time.

I am planning to try some other ones in the future:
- Royal Purple Synchromax
- Motomaster 75w90 synthetic gear oil
- ACDelco GM Synchromesh oil
Thank you so much for the feedback!