3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2015 Honda Fit Fuel Gauge Display Failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member
Travis!

Old 04-23-2021, 01:57 PM
Exclamation

Hi all! I just found this site from a google search. For anyone still experiencing this issue, I made a quick youtube video on how to fix it. It's my first youtube video, so sorry if the quality isn't the best.

Old 04-25-2021, 08:37 AM
I love the display on my 2018 with almost exclusively analogue gauges. But then there is the digital fuel gauge. Don't like that. Not sure why they did this. An analogue fuel gauge would have been perfect and they almost never fail.

Old 05-01-2021, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by Sham24
~70k miles.

A few months ago, my fuel gauge display started going out...intermittently. Pretty much always at least once a trip. Sometimes it starts when I turn the car on, sometimes it's after I've driven 20 miles. The display stays backlit, but all the information (time, fuel gauge, odometer, temp) disappears.

Usually it will stay like that for a good while and then a bunch of gibberish suddenly pops on, as if everything possible was being displayed at once. Sometimes it will go back to showing nothing, sometimes it will go to a good display. Doesn't seem like it's related to temp - happens now in cool or warmish weather.

I was just wondering if anyone else had seen this.

I found another guy on the Internet a couple years ago that had the exact same issue, and the dealership told him it was a bad display (as opposed to a loose wire) and it'd have to be replaced. If so, I'm wondering how much effort it is to tear open the dash and do it myself. Kind of disappointed. This is my third Fit and the first two also had various electrical problems, though nothing I couldn't ignore. Really hard to ignore the lack of a fuel gauge.

Did you ever solve this? I have same problem.

Old 05-01-2021, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member
OUT FLIPPING STANDING!!!! Great video and much appreciated. I still believe that Honda needs to address this as a recall immediately.

Wasn't there a Honda rep that used to monitor the site for things like this? If anyone knows who it is or if there is one, somebody needs to kick their door in to get some action.

Last edited by Jagged1; 05-16-2021 at 12:23 AM.
Old 05-15-2021, 10:16 PM
I have the same issue.

Same issue here - how many of us are there?
The YouTube video is awesome, Jordan. All I need now is a soldering iron… 😊
I did add my info to the registry mentioned above. This absolutely sounds class-action worthy. Not cool, Honda.

Attached Files
Old 11-23-2021, 04:27 AM
I've had this problem for about 2 years on a 2016 fit with 30k miles. Probably only had about 20k on it when it first happened. Amazing that it's so prevelant and I thought I was crazy for thinking it typically happened when it was cold and/or wet out. I'll fill out a recall report.

I can get around the problem temporarily by pressing on the cover a few times. Dunno why, but it usually does the trick

Old 11-23-2021, 04:29 AM
Originally Posted by JordanL
Hi all! I just found this site from a google search. For anyone still experiencing this issue, I made a quick youtube video on how to fix it. It's my first youtube video, so sorry if the quality isn't the best.

https://youtu.be/0JhGzG8H8g8
Wow!!! Thanks so much for this. Guess I found my Thanksgiving week project.

Edit: Success. Watched a few youtube videos on soldering, and went at it. Getting the cluster out is easier with a few more steps. See this thread and go up to step 6: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...tructions.html

Last edited by Jcalvin; 11-24-2021 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-08-2021, 10:17 AM
Same display problem

I know this thread was originally made in 2018 but wanted to come and share that I have the exact same problem. I'm past my warranty though :'(
I did file a complaint to help push a class action lawsuit or some sort of recall if that'll ever happen!

Old 12-08-2021, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
The car is no longer manufactured so there is no incentive for Honda to do anything, There will be no recall and a class action lawsuit is extremely unlikely in my opinion - this problem just doesn't put enough money on the table to interest lawyers. Sorry.

Old 12-16-2021, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by peridot_
I know this thread was originally made in 2018 but wanted to come and share that I have the exact same problem. I'm past my warranty though :'(
I did file a complaint to help push a class action lawsuit or some sort of recall if that'll ever happen!
Where do you file a complaint for these issue. I have push start/stop button/starter issue. I would like to file a complaint.

Old 01-02-2022, 06:55 PM
5 Year Member

THANK YOU. Fastest and easiest instructions ever! Winter arrived and my gauge was acting up. Ended up opening up and found three pins that had the solder failure (see pic).

Old 01-12-2022, 08:35 AM
Repair for the fit cluster fuel gauge.

Send it to me at AR speedometer and gauge. We can now repair the fit 15 - 19 fuel gauge screen. Cost is 150. Give us a call 918 8353300. My name is Devon.

Old 01-14-2022, 08:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fuelish
Do the odometer and gas gauge read accurately after it starts working again, or is the mileage "lost in time"? I was thinking it would be a minor annoyance at first, but then remembered the odometer is in the same display. I've had old cars in the past with malfunctioning fuel gauges, but would just fill up at a certain distance...not an option, here, I see
It just goes out, then if you shut off and start back up, it reboots and seems to have all the numbers accurately.

Old 01-14-2022, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by Reddogs
It just goes out, then if you shut off and start back up, it reboots and seems to have all the numbers accurately.
the repair will fix your issue. Bad solder joints are to blame. We can get you fixed up here at AR Speedometer

Old 01-15-2022, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member

Ouch, dont they have a replacement that would fix it...

Old 01-16-2022, 12:33 PM
I reflowed with leaded solder during the summer. I have to say that it is doing great now that the cold weather has rolled in. Here is my screen on startup now.

Thanks for the tips!

Old 04-06-2022, 12:06 PM
Hi everyone

2015 70k miles fit user (bought in 2014 in CA moved to Idaho)

I noticed this happening this winter......I leave my car outside uncovered and today I had the blank screen then it came on worked for a few seconds then froze. I'll be reporting this issue on the links said in this form. Please keep us updated about a class action or recall. I'll be bringing this form to the dealership and showing them the common-ness of it and demanding a fit.

Thank you again for everyone who posted on this forum. I nearly had a panic attack as this is my only car and I -REALLY- wanted to travel back to CA for a week come warmer weather.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:11 PM
Although it won't likely help but add another as we have a 2016 Fit, purchased new. Ours began acting up over 2 years ago and have been quoted $1300 for repair with a new cluster. I'll be showing this to the regional service manager.

Old 09-25-2022, 04:14 PM
Computer trip display fixes.

09/25/2022 - It's likely my answer has already been posted. I've seen several fixes for the secondary digital dial playing up and finally blanking out; various combinations of resets and even soldering a connection given as resolutions. I found this simple fix, which I've made clearer from JustAnswer originally dated 10/032/019. It's working so far. I'll update FitFreak with any updates. I have a 2015 Honda Fit EX-L, now at 52,700 mls. I found that my odometer and fuel display started going haywire then blanking out altogether after flickering a few times. Reading forum reports i see a lot of people having the same problem. Is there a solution?
Mechanic's Assistant: Have you noticed an increase in fuel consumption? How does the Fit start and run; same as usual?
Questioner: No other problem and yes it starts normally.
Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fit yourself? What have you tried so far?
Questioner: No i was looking for solution and found dealers are of no us

Share this conversation

Answered in 1 hour by:
10/3/2019
Mechanic for Honda: JOHN GRETHER
Im certain that this is a gauge failure. There is no external cause for this like a fuse or something. You can run this function test. Entering the Self-Diagnostic Function (Manual Method). Before doing the self-diagnostic function, make sure the No. B29 (10 A) fuse in the under-hood fuse/relay box, and No. C34 (7.5 A) fuse in the under-dash fuse/relay box are OK.
1. Press and hold the SELECT/RESET switch (reset and dashboard lighting control sticking out of digital dial).
2. Turn the combination light switch to the PARKING position ().
3. Turn the vvehicle engine switch to the ON mode.
4. Within 5 sec., turn the combination light switch OFF, then to the PARKING position () and OFF again.
5. Within 5 sec., release the SEL/RESET switch, and then repeatedly press and release the switch three times.
NOTE:
While in the self-diagnostic mode, the dashlights brightness controller operates normally. (Q: I didn't notice any changes)
While in the self-diagnostic mode, the SEL/RESET switch is used to start the Beeper Drive Circuit Test and the Gauge Drive Circuit Check.
If the vehicle speed exceeds 1.2 mph (2 km/h), or the vehicle is turned to the OFF (LOCK) mode, the self-diagnostic mode ends.
See if digital dial responds normally.

I followed the suggestions, switched everything off and started the car. Digital display worked with up-to-date info as normal. Whether it will last is to be seen. I bought my 2025 Fit EX-L, all options, 51,866mls, as "certified pre-owned" used car through Cathedral City, CA, Honda/Toyota of the Desert on 07/15/22. I immediateLY discoverd a battery problem which the dealer quickly replaced. Besides the digital dial, no problems since.

Quick Reply: 2015 Honda Fit Fuel Gauge Display Failure