3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Alternator whine?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 06:03 PM
Alternator whine?

I've been noticing a high pitched noise similar to alternator whine that increases/decreases in pitch in sync with what appears to be the engine speed. It is most apparent when coming to a stop as the road noise gets quieter and the pitch decreases. Anybody else noticing this?

Old 09-08-2014, 06:28 PM
Have not noticed it on either one of my cars. Have you popped the hood while at idle to see if you can pinpoint it further??

Old 09-25-2014, 12:02 AM
I have noticed a sound like this when taking off from a complete stop in parking lots (less ambient noise). It is very subtle so wasn't sure if it was alternator noise or just the engine running harder from a quick acceleration .

Old 09-25-2014, 12:32 AM
Originally Posted by GiTsticker
I've been noticing a high pitched noise similar to alternator whine that increases/decreases in pitch in sync with what appears to be the engine speed. It is most apparent when coming to a stop as the road noise gets quieter and the pitch decreases. Anybody else noticing this?

Sometimes on my other car I would have something plugged into the aux jack with the sound system volume up but not playing anything and I would hear electrical interference coming through the speakers. The sound would match your description perfectly. It would annoy me for awhile until I realized what it was and turned the sound off.

Could you be having something like this happening? Just a thought...

Old 09-25-2014, 12:55 AM
5 Year Member
I sometimes notice a high pitch whine in my car, but then I drop my wife off, and it goes away.....

Old 09-25-2014, 04:30 AM
Took it in to the dealership and they let me drive another new fit. Same exact sound. Which is a relief. It's noticable on take-off like someone said, but I hear it most when I'm decelerating.

And yes it sounds exactly like something is plugged into the aux jack and making that electrical noise. Maybe I'm just more sensitive to it than others.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:39 AM
4 days After buying the new car "2015 Honda Fit, LX, CVT" from dealer, I noticed the high pitch whining noise around 40 mpg to 0 mpg. The noise goes louder when I release the gas paddle, and sounds like a police car siren when I press the brake to slow down at a stop. I turned off the fan, A/C, car audio, even closed the window, but the whine is still there.

I took the car back to dealer to check, the technician said the sound is "normal" and suggested me to break in the new car and put 1000 more miles on it to see if it can disappear.

The high pitch noise is quite annoying. I can clearly hear it even I turn on the radio. The siren kind sound really confuses me and makes me double think and check around if there is a real police car around me.

I did some online research, and found it's a common problem for Honda car. There are many such complains on Honda civic, odyssey, and CR-V. Many are identified as "High pitch alternator whining". But it seems Honda cannot fix the problem.

I am so disappointed to know that my new FIT encounters such an annoying problem which has no hope to be fixed, and Honda may wish or push customers to get used to this "High pitch, whine, siren, whistle ..."

What can we customers do?

Last edited by nlxx; 10-02-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:19 PM
5 Year Member
Whine

Originally Posted by Vanguard
I sometimes notice a high pitch whine in my car, but then I drop my wife off, and it goes away.....
Silence is golden ..... duct tape is grey