Voice recognition no longer works with iOS 8.3

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 07:07 PM
Voice recognition no longer works with iOS 8.3

Confirmed with Honda that voice recognition (hands-free phone dialing) no longer works correctly with iPhone iOS 8.3 (and perhaps also 8.2). Software update from dealer will be required if and when one becomes available. Tech wasn't sure if Honda is even working on one. In the meantime, however, Siri works great. Just hold down the "Talk" button on the steering wheel, say "Hey, Siri", and make calls or send texts with voice commands.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:32 PM
Anyone else having these problem with iPhone/iOS 8.2 or 8.3?

Old 04-10-2015, 02:54 PM
I have an LX so I think the voice recognition in that is a little different, but I have never been able to get it to recognize commands except maybe once out of every 20 tries

Old 04-11-2015, 02:36 PM
I have the same issue with 8.3. Thanks for the tip on Siri. I'll give it a try.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
I have 8.2 on my iPhone and I am still able to use voice recognition to make phone calls with my EX.

Old 04-12-2015, 03:27 PM
OK. Let me clarify. Yes, it recognizes my voice, but now no longer can automatically select the correct contact. For example, if I say "Call Mom Home", the system displays multiple listings for "Mom" (home, mobile), also displays a list of other contacts whose names don't even sound close to "Mom", and asks me to select the person I want to call. In addition, double-pressing the talk button no longer seems to bypass the voice prompts in some instances.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:23 AM
5 Year Member
How disappointing! iOS 8.3 also made CarPlay wireless, but my 2015 EX Fit does not have CarPlay implemented. I'm not even sure if the lack is a piece of software on my iPhone 5s or a firmware revision to the head unit in my car, or both. The implementation of CarPlay will likely solve several problems. May Honda is not fixing the accumulating problems with their own iPhone interface because they are devoting their software engineering energy to CarPlay implementation. That would make sense, at least for iPhone users.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:00 AM
Don't really know what Honda is doing. If they did move to CarPlay, how can it be integrated into the current technology? With a software upgrade by the dealer? Right now, the Honda hands-free is pretty much useless. Siri is, hands down, superior to Honda's built-in technology. The only downside to using Siri now is that there isn't any visual navigation.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:49 PM
I just tried that Siri trick with the LX and it doesn't seem to be working for me. Sad day, as I was really excited when I read that. I have had the worst luck with the voice commands in my LX as well and I am looking for a better way.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by Richard Westbrook
I just tried that Siri trick with the LX and it doesn't seem to be working for me. Sad day, as I was really excited when I read that. I have had the worst luck with the voice commands in my LX as well and I am looking for a better way.
Siri commands don't work with the LX stereo unfortunately and Honda doesn't make that clear. I ended up just setting speed dials instead.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:23 PM
There are 3rd-party CarPlay entertainment systems currently available from Pioneer and Alpine that you can install. However, they are very expensive. At this point, I don't hold out much hope for Honda doing any upgrades for any current-year models. So, I guess we're stuck with the lousy system we've got.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by Redd
Siri commands don't work with the LX stereo unfortunately and Honda doesn't make that clear. I ended up just setting speed dials instead.
I did not know that until now. So far the only word I've been able to get my LX to recognize is "Cancel." Anytime I try to say "Call ____" I get interrupted with a digital "Pardon?" It's very frustrating. Has anyone had any luck with voice recognition in the LX?

Old 05-19-2015, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by Clarkear89
I did not know that until now. So far the only word I've been able to get my LX to recognize is "Cancel." Anytime I try to say "Call ____" I get interrupted with a digital "Pardon?" It's very frustrating. Has anyone had any luck with voice recognition in the LX?
Does the LX have the same system as the EX?

Old 05-19-2015, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by kram80122
Does the LX have the same system as the EX?
NO it does not. The base system is similar but not quite the same. There are no apps.

Last edited by Redd; 05-19-2015 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by Clarkear89
(You may already have done this, but this is for the benefit of others as well.)

You have to set up "voice tags" for those you want to call via voice. That's the only way on the LX to use voice unless you want to spell out the whole number every time which is unusable

Press the phone button, select speed dial, select "add new" and then use your call history or phonebook to select someone. It will then ask if you want to store a voice tag. Select yes and it will walk you through that part by making you say their name a couple times. After that it should hopefully work.

I've had voice tags not work after a while and have to reset them or not use them.

Last edited by Redd; 05-19-2015 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Redd
You have to set up "voice tags" for those you want to call via voice.

Press the phone button, select speed dial, select "add new" and then use your call history or phonebook to select someone. It will then ask if you want to store a voice tag. Select yes and it will walk you through that part by making you say their name a couple times. After that it should hopefully work.

I've had voice tags not work after a while and have to reset them or not use them.
Thanks for this thread and this post, and also for the comment
I have the same issue with 8.3. Thanks for the tip on Siri

My Fit LX Voice Tags worked great with my iPhone 6+ from January to June approx. Then after a while, occasionally I'd have to pull over on the shoulder of road and shut the car off and restart, and it seemed to work. The past month it has not recognized the names at all, but says "#1" enter more numbers," or something like that.

Thanks for the tips that it is about iOS 8.2 and 8.3. That makes a lot more sense than my Honda Pohanka Maryland dealer that wanted to put a new microphone in up near the inside lights in the ceiling of the car.

I'll try resetting them, thanks for the instructions. Also, I'll try using 'hey Siri' ... but I can use the iPhone button and Siri, now that I know a repair from the Honda Dealer won't fix it.

Honda service seems to not know about this issue. Glad I found resolution, or work-around here, instead of spending time researching further.

Etana

Old 12-19-2015, 11:07 AM
5 Year Member
Fit LX Voice Tags UPDATE:

In Sept 2015 (see above post) I successfully reset the voice tags (deleted and then re-set them). It was a bit tedious, but successful, and beat the horrible customer service at 2 Honda Dealers in Silver Spring and Capital Heights Maryland. The one wanted to take out the microphone unit from the front ceiling near the lights unit. The other would examine the car. Neither suggested that it could be the new iPhone operating system upgrade.

Now i have just updated to iOS 9. and once again my Voice Tags don't work!
But at least I know what to do, as tedious as it is.

Does anyone have any other successful fix to this, other than completely resetting the Voice Tags?

Thanks, Etana
p.s. Very happy with my Fit, but only getting about 32 mpg, I think.